Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fletcher vs Berbatov vs Ba

• 20-11-2012 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭

Practically every team will have one of these three players in their team, filling up the 'third striker' spot. With most people playing 3 up front this is a much more important slot than previous seasons.

RVP is the lone 'super striker' at 13.7m, regardless of whether managers think he's worth this pricetag or not. I'll be keeping him in my team unless he gets injured or really loses form.

Tevez, Suarez, Torres and Aguero fill up most peoples 'mid-range' striker option, with people that don't have RVP usually having two of these.

Then on to the final 'cheap' striker option, mainly consisting of one of the following three.

Fletcher
    Berbatov
    Ba

With players like Defoe, Lambert, Podolski, Jelavic and Long also appearing in some teams. I've had all three choices at one stage or another, and it's difficult to gauge which is actually the better option at the moment.

Price
    Fletcher 7.0m
    Berbatov 7.6m
    Ba 8.3m

Fletcher clearly the cheapest option here after dropping 0.3 last week.

Points per game
    Berbatov 6.6
    Fletcher 6.0
    Ba 5.8

An accurate analysis as nobody has played 15-20 minutes in any game to skew the figures. Berbs has only played 7.5 games though, compared to Fletcher (10) and Ba (11.5)

Ownership (Differential Ratio)
    Fletcher 5.2%
    Berbatov 17.3%
    Ba 27.5%

Fletcher clearly the best 'differential' of the three.

Goals/Assists
    Ba 8/1
    Berbatov 5/3
    Fletcher 6/1

Ba leading the way here, although the same happened last season before Cisse arrived after which he went very quiet. Berbatov getting involved in assists which are only 1 point less than a goal for a striker, although count for less towards BP's

Upcoming Fixtures
    Fletcher - West Brom (H), QPR (H), Norwich (A), Chelsea (H) + Reading (H)
    Ba - Southampton (A), Stoke City (A), Wigan (H), Fulham (A)
    Berbatov - Stoke City (A), Chelsea (A), Tottenham (H), Newcastle (H)

Fletcher easily the best run of fixtures + Double GW. Berbs fixtures not great at all, although he has proven in the past he can perform in the big games.

Form (last 3 games)
    Berbatov 31 points
    Ba 20 points
    Fletcher 19 points

Berbatov clearly the most reliable of the three so far this season.

Personally I think it's between Fletcher and Berbs. Fletcher has the better fixtures, Berbs the better form. Let the poll decide :)

Third Striker? 44 votes

Fletcher
    0%
    Berbatov
    20%
    rorycIce87dahatdonglenmassdebaterCSFMD1990bucketybuckAce0x9 9 votes
    Ba
    52%
    PWEIJoeyjoejoe43[Deleted User]JPARikandRoonboxmailburnertom_kSideshow MarkmansterWoollyRedHatno12Manzoor14prettyboy81Big Pussy BonpensieroSpaceCowb0yLostBoy101yorlum11GBXIPappa Charlie 23 votes
    Other
    27%
    miller82redzerdrogAmiranikeane2097G1032kilburnAqualsbensboysPhoenix ParkNinja AvengerWant2knowjolim24601 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Berbatov
    Berbatov has 2 of his creative influences injured for 3 weeks or so and that alone makes Fletcher the choice but Sunderland were toothless till Hangeland was sent off the other day.
    Sunderland havent had 20 shots on target all season i reckon but they will improve and Fletcher does seem to grab the 3BP's when he does score.

From this week on i have RVP,Suarez and Tevez up top so hopefully i wont need these lads!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i have Ba and Berbatov at the moment.

i must be doing it wrong.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Ace0x9

Berbatov
    Hmm, as the current situation stands, I'd prefer Fletcher. Berbatov might have enough class to knock in 5 goals at the back of the net in a given gameweek but Fletcher seems like he could run away with a few points in the next few gameweeks (and maybe outscore Berba/Ba in the next 6 gameweeks)

Long term, I think Ba's a good option. Short-term, I'd pick Fletcher.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Other
    Great post OP, exactly the sort of thread this forum could do with more of.

Fwiw, I switched Fletcher to Ba 2 weeks ago and captained Ba last weekend. Sunderland just look to poor to me to consider sticking with Fletcher. If they start playing though, he's the best out-and-out goalscorer of the 3.

I think Berbatov is the form player of the 3 though his fixtures negate that somewhat. Throw in the couple of injuries that Fulham have as another negative.

Ba has a good balance between fixtures and form though and his extra price doesn't bother me too much. I would like to perhaps replace him with Berbatov at some point however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Berbatov
    The low ownership ratio of Fletcher is quite appealing.

Had his two disallowed goals in recent games stood we would not even be having this debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

One point I noticed recently is the amount of BPs Fletcher has: 15. Tied 2nd highest in the game. He's gotten all 3 BPs 5 times. I have him, and was about to dump him, but after last weekend might hang on now until after the DGW.

Also have Ba, but very much on the fench about him. He has decent fixtures so will give him a few more weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Ba
    I'd be a big fan of Berbatov from his Spurs days so I may be slightly biased but I really don't see the other two as being in the same league at all. From what I know of him Fletcher is a form player who has scored goals consistently enough but without ever being really prolific, he seems to average a goal every 3 games as his teams focus up front, Ba would have potential for more goals in my opinion with his strength and finishing and also the fact that he plays with a far better team.
    Berbatov is a world class player who had a hard time at utd but still scored an awful lot of goals when he was used, with Fulham he is like a conductor, he's back to his best, if he stays fit he could be the bargain of the season in FF,

Berbatov
    I'd be a big fan of Berbatov from his Spurs days so I may be slightly biased but I really don't see the other two as being in the same league at all. From what I know of him Fletcher is a form player who has scored goals consistently enough but without ever being really prolific, he seems to average a goal every 3 games as his teams focus up front, Ba would have potential for more goals in my opinion with his strength and finishing and also the fact that he plays with a far better team.
    Berbatov is a world class player who had a hard time at utd but still scored an awful lot of goals when he was used, with Fulham he is like a conductor, he's back to his best, if he stays fit he could be the bargain of the season in FF,

Fletchers next 4 fixtures are significantly better than Berbs though, including a DGW.

Can't be ignored...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Ace0x9

Berbatov

The question is: "What are the odds of him being fit for 80%-90% of whatever's left of the season?"

He ain't getting any younger. The old warhorse has to take a few breaks every now and then even during the match and there's no guarantee that he won't get a knock on him before the end of the season (as is the case with most ageing footballers, wouldn't particularly point him out for that).

His age is a definite factor here. He might be experienced and classy but you can't deny that Ba and Fletcher have more stamina and hence can create more goal-scoring chances within the same time-slot.

Berba is a potential bargain but then again, the same can be said about Fletcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Ba
    roryc wrote: »
    Fletchers next 4 fixtures are significantly better than Berbs though, including a DGW.

Can't be ignored...

I'd be of the opinion that Berbatov can score against anybody, I wouldn't agree either with some people who have said that Kacelniclik's and Ruiz's absence will affect him, Berbatov can score his own goals and Fulham as a team have shown that they are well capable of creating chances.
    When you are only allowed 1 transfer a week I wouldn't be rushing into buying Sunderland players, I could well be wrong about Fletcher but I don't see him scoring more than 15 goals this year and very few assists.

• Advertisement

Berbatov
    Fletchers next 3 games are West Ham (H), QPR (H) and Norwich (A).

If he scores twice in these three games I guarantee you will see people rushing to bring him in for the DGW, with many giving him the armband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

RVP, Suarez and Tevez ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

berba fletcher ba for me in that order. Berba just shading it as he is on pens. Dont think fletch took pens at his previous clubs. Next four weeks though fletch looks like being the best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Berbatov
    Brought in Fletcher for the week just gone. I think he is about to hit a major boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Chicarito Suarez Ba up top.

Beast of a midfield all the same, Yaya, Hazard, Valencia, Cazorla going in to name a few.

Think Suarez might nab another goal this week. I'll leave him as captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Ba
    roryc wrote: »
    Fletchers next 3 games are West Ham (H), QPR (H) and Norwich (A).

If he scores twice in these three games I guarantee you will see people rushing to bring him in for the DGW, with many giving him the armband.

West Ham have only conceded 11, so no guarantee of goals and Norwich have had 5 clean sheets this season too. Also if Mark Hughes gets the sack then perhaps QPR will be on an up.

I have RVP, Suarez and Berbatov so clearly hope the Berb will fare the best. Replaced Ba with Suarez last week too. and got rid of Ben Arfa for James Morrison to help fund it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've been singing the praise of Berbatov all season but if money wasn't an option I'd have Ba in my team for the next few weeks but alas I'll have to make do with Dimitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Berbatov
    I'd be of the opinion that Berbatov can score against anybody, I wouldn't agree either with some people who have said that Kacelniclik's and Ruiz's absence will affect him, Berbatov can score his own goals and Fulham as a team have shown that they are well capable of creating chances.
    When you are only allowed 1 transfer a week I wouldn't be rushing into buying Sunderland players, I could well be wrong about Fletcher but I don't see him scoring more than 15 goals this year and very few assists.

But it's not about having Fletcher for the whole season, if you're rotating your third striker then looking at the fixtures he's the man to bring in for the short-term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Berbatov
    2 goals and 1 assist for Ba in his last 6 plus his pricetag pretty much rule him out for me. Three away games in the next four don't help either.

For me it's Fletcher from now until after the double then switch to Berba. Fletcher's next four gameweeks fixtures compared to Berba's are too difficult to ignore. Berba's fixtures get significantly better from GW17 so it'll be a straight swap with Fletcher then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

RVP, Suarez and Tevez ftw!

I could easily work Suarez, RVP and Aguero into my team if I drop Rafael for someone cheaper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement