Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disk reading error.

Options
  • 20-11-2012 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

Basically am thinking of buying an x box with a disk reading error. I have my old x box with the disk thingy in it that works, if I swap the one for the one I wish to buy for my good one would that be an adequate fix?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Basically am thinking of buying an x box with a disk reading error. I have my old x box with the disk thingy in it that works, if I swap the one for the one I wish to buy for my good one would that be an adequate fix?

No as there are many different kinds of disc drive model, you need to match the model of the one with the disc reading error then either swap out the circuit boards or flash the firmware from the broken one to the working replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Awh that sounds difficult. Say its Samsung, and I buy a replacement Samsung one, why can't I just swap direct?

Awh that sounds difficult. Say its Samsung, and I buy a replacement Samsung one, why can't I just swap direct?

Because the circuit board of the broken one contains the DVD key which is married to the console so if you just substitute a working DVD drive (without swapping circuit boards or flashing) you will get 'Play DVD' when trying to play a game.

The Samsung drive came in two different models iirc ms28 and ms25.

Ah I see. And how difficult is it for a literal novice to swap out the circuit boards?

Ah I see. And how difficult is it for a literal novice to swap out the circuit boards?

For a novice I'd say it's hard as there is some soldering involved - you have to desolder the wires connecting the circuit board of the broken DVD drive and then resolder them to (in the correct order) to the working DVD drive.

• Advertisement

justryan wrote: »
    For a novice I'd say it's hard as there is some soldering involved - you have to desolder the wires connecting the circuit board of the broken DVD drive and then resolder them to (in the correct order) to the working DVD drive.

I'm good with soldering, I've done quite a bit of that. Its removing and reinstalling the circuit board I'm a bit skeptical about.

I could youtube it?

Well in that case it will be easy for you, remember to use flux when resoldering for the best connections there is just plastic clips securing the circuit board to the DVD drive and a ribbon cable connecting the laser to the circuit board you can disconnect this easily.

You might want to take a photo of the wires before you begin so you can look back and see which order the wires were.

Leaving cert engineering seems to be paying off in some way or another:P I'll give it a lash!

Advertisement