Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need warranty repair. Have original receipt but didnt register the product

Options
  • 20-11-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

Bought something - that came with a 2 year warranty. I was supposed to register the product with the manufacturer - but never got round to doing so. However, I do have the original receipt.

Do i stand any chance of effecting a warranty repair? Item was bought from DID electrical. Are they likely to be able to accommodate this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

When did you buy your item ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Jarren wrote: »
    When did you buy your item ?
    April 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Your contract is with DID,they should accommodate you

Warranties
    When you are buying a product, the shop may ask if you would like to buy a warranty. This is like an insurance policy - it covers the product beyond the manufacturer's guarantee period.

So, you shouldn’t have to pay for repairs if the item breaks or becomes faulty within the period covered by the warranty.

Before you agree to a warranty, remember:

It is completely optional and can be expensive, so do not feel pressured to take one.
    Consider the cost of replacing the faulty item and compare this to the cost of the warranty. Replacing the item may cost less than the warranty.
    Guarantees and warranties are legally binding on the company – they are enforceable through the courts if necessary.

http://www.nca.ie/nca/guarantees-warranties

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Jarren wrote: »

Warranties
    When you are buying a product, the shop may ask if you would like to buy a warranty. This is like an insurance policy - it covers the product beyond the manufacturer's guarantee period.

Warranty is automatic. The shop may ask you to buy "additional" or "extended" warranty, which is their "insurance". This does not effect the manufacturer's warranty nor your statutory rights.

The OP should deal with DID. The receipt should be all you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP You can use the manufacturer and their warranty but you also have separate Statutory rights which the retailer is responsible for. DID are obliged to deal with your issue if it is due to defective goods or poor workmanship etc, if the goods are not fit for purpose or are not durable given the price paid and the use.

DID can not fob you off by saying your warranty or repair is with the manufacture because there is one contract and that is between you and DID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Paulw wrote: »
    Warranty is automatic. The shop may ask you to buy "additional" or "extended" warranty, which is their "insurance". This does not effect the manufacturer's warranty nor your statutory rights.

The OP should deal with DID. The receipt should be all you need.

Manufacturers/retailers are not obliged to provide any guarantee of any kind but where they do they are legally obliged to stand by them in accordance with the stated T&Cs. If those T&Cs require you to register your product within a certain period after purchase and you fail to do so then you may have no guarantee.

Since the OP didn't register then most likely he has lost his guarantee (recheck your T&Cs) in which case neither the retailer nor the manufacturer would be obliged to deal with his guarantee claim. However he does have statutory rights under consumer law which the retailer cannot ignore. He should look into those.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

slimjimmc wrote: »
    However he does have statutory rights under consumer law which the retailer cannot ignore.

That's what I said. Under Consumer Law, the seller (DID) is responsible for dealing with the repair, and no registration is required for consumer law to apply.

Paulw wrote: »
    That's what I said. Under Consumer Law, the seller (DID) is responsible for dealing with the repair, and no registration is required for consumer law to apply.
    Ok, so does that work on the basis of the 2 year warranty? I'm concerned that both manufacturer and retailer have an 'out' on the basis that I didn't register within X number of days following purchase.

Are you saying that the 2 year warranty stands despite this - with statutory rights making the 2 year warranty stand?

Is this the consensus? I just want to get my facts right before I approach D.I.D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Tell them you filled out the form the day after you brought it and posted it off. Stuff gets lost all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Manufacturers/retailers are not obliged to provide any guarantee of any kind but where they do they are legally obliged to stand by them in accordance with the stated T&Cs. If those T&Cs require you to register your product within a certain period after purchase and you fail to do so then you may have no guarantee.

Since the OP didn't register then most likely he has lost his guarantee (recheck your T&Cs) in which case neither the retailer nor the manufacturer would be obliged to deal with his guarantee claim. However he does have statutory rights under consumer law which the retailer cannot ignore. He should look into those.

They are actually obliged by statute to provide both a warranty and guarantee by the SOGA - these are legally defined however and not what a lay person might consider to be the the same word.

As has been said - contact DID its there problem for at least a couple more years unless you broke it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

They are actually obliged by statute to provide both a warranty and guarantee by the SOGA - these are legally defined however and not what a lay person might consider to be the the same word.

As has been said - contact DID its there problem for at least a couple more years unless you broke it yourself.

Interesting. Can you link the specific paragraphs that put such obligations on the manufacturer? And agreed, many consumers may not be aware of the difference between warranty and guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Ok, so does that work on the basis of the 2 year warranty?
    No. Your rights under consumer law are a different set of rights, even though they apply to the same problem.
    I'm concerned that both manufacturer and retailer have an 'out' on the basis that I didn't register within X number of days following purchase.
    The manufacturer has an out because your contract is with the retailer; the retailer does not have an escape clause.
    Are you saying that the 2 year warranty stands despite this - with statutory rights making the 2 year warranty stand?
    The manufacturer's warranty to you does not stand. The retailer has a continuing responsibility to you which is linked to reasonable expectations about product durability. The fact that the manufacturer is prepared to give a two-year warranty (even though you did not avail of the offer) can be taken as proof that your reasonable expectation of product durability is at least two years.
    Is this the consensus? I just want to get my facts right before I approach D.I.D.
    You won't get consensus here!

Apply common-sense filters to what you read here, and you have a chance of ending up with some idea of your rights.

Interesting. Can you link the specific paragraphs that put such obligations on the manufacturer? And agreed, many consumers may not be aware of the difference between warranty and guarantee.

Manufacturer is liable under The Liability for Defective Products Act - but not directly for the product just for ancillary damages under Tort law.

When I said they I misspoke meaning the retailer, however in accurate language is my own fault so I can't pull you up for my own mistake - you'll have to interrogate the statute book yourself though!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Simply put, under Consumer Law you are entitled to expect the product to last a reasonable amount of time (depending on the type of product). During that lifetime, any failures/defects which are intrinsic to the product should be covered by the retailer. The retailer is where your contract of sale lies. Once a defect is identified, then the retailer must offer you either a replacement, refund or repair.

This does not cover damage caused to the product through misuse by the consumer.

Any guarantee or warranty that you may have, comes in addition to these basic consumer rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bought something - that came with a 2 year warranty. I was supposed to register the product with the manufacturer - but never got round to doing so. However, I do have the original receipt.
    It comes down to if the 2 year warranty on the condition that you register, or if it applies and they'd like you to register the product. I'd say it's the latter.

Please note that if it's a computer/laptop/etc, your data is not covered, and will be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Do i stand any chance of effecting a warranty repair? Item was bought from DID electrical. Are they likely to be able to accommodate this?

Just contact them... DID have good customer service so why not contact them and see if there is an issue first before stressing yourself about what if's!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    OP You can use the manufacturer and their warranty but you also have separate Statutory rights which the retailer is responsible for. DID are obliged to deal with your issue if it is due to defective goods or poor workmanship etc, if the goods are not fit for purpose or are not durable given the price paid and the use.

DID can not fob you off by saying your warranty or repair is with the manufacture because there is one contract and that is between you and DID.

DID can not fob you off?,the op hasnt even contacted them!! their customer service is excellent when it comes to repairs, the op has the receipt as proof of purchase and thats all you need

Just to close this thread out, as I had begun with the manufacturer, I continued to follow up with them. They were about to authorise a pickup and replacement until the call centre rep. realised I was in ROI. As part of this, they were going to charge an 'admin fee' of £5. It's not relevant now - but out of curiousity, is that legal!? If the warranty was valid, are they entitled to charge such a fee?

Once she realised I was in the ROI, she told me that it would have to be handled by DID. I thought DID would just replace but I think they couldn't as that model no longer available. They then gave me a full credit - and I bought an entirely different item.

I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. Thanks to all for posting.

As part of this, they were going to charge an 'admin fee' of £5. It's not relevant now - but out of curiousity, is that legal!? If the warranty was valid, are they entitled to charge such a fee?

Some manufacturers would charge a fee for carriage or what not. You've no consumer rights with the manufacturer as you've no contract with them (a point I think you've not picked up on OP). Although manufacturers will normally provide technical support and repairs your first port of call should always be the retailer you contracted with.

Advertisement