Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English people and their dogs

• 20-11-2012 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

In Ireland, people who have middle to sizable dogs keep them outside. You should have a nice bit of shelter and warm bedding for him.

However in England, people keep theirs inside. For example, my flatmate. He has a retriever and he keeps it indoors. It's basically kind of put me off dogs in favour of cats. This dog (and this is a reflection on the owner) pisses at least once a week in the house, walks in his **** outside in the back yard (which should have been cleaned up anyway).

Right now the owner has him outside in the back yard and the dog is whining because he can't get into the house...unreal.

His missus has a cat and it never pisses, avoids walking in the ****. This dog should actually be off living on a farm, not in a city. Hopefully the guy sees sense and gets rid (though he's had him for a while). He's been talking about it lately because the dog is unmanageable

Yeah, so English people keeping their dogs in their own house, regardless of the size...what's up with that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

and those little bags of peanuts they give you on planes? what's up with that??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What about breeds like Boxers who, because of their short hair, cannot be kept outside?

I wouldnt dream of leaving my staffie outside overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Lots of Irish people keep their dogs inside too, that guy is just a bad owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

A lot of Irish people bring their dogs inside too, it's not solely an English thing. I have 2 mid - large dogs and they live inside. I wouldn't have it any other way. I can't speak for "English people" and why they have their dogs inside but mine are here because we love them, they are a part of our family, they help me feel safe when in the house alone, they're entertaining and they deserve to stretch out in front of the fire.

People getting dogs and leaving them outside, whether with warm bedding or not, is one of the main causes of barking dogs, ill behaved dogs and destructive dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

parc wrote: »

However in England, people keep theirs inside.

Few English people keep their hamsters ''inside'' too

Googles *hamster up bum*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭darrcow

op are you a racist by any chance. you need to get over the we hate the english thing.

im english:D

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭parc

1210m5g wrote: »
    Lots of Irish people keep their dogs inside too, that guy is just a bad owner.

Hmm I'm sure they do but the general consensus is "Irish people - dogs ouside and English people will practically let them in their own bed"

And that's coming from English people btw. I'm mostly talking about the larger breeds here. Not terriers or staffies.

In bold: The guy does try, spends **** loads on him but at the end of it all, the dog isn't even house trained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I have never understood the concept of indoor and outdoor dogs, apparently small dogs are indoor dogs and big dogs are outdoor dogs, but they are all dogs:confused: I'm Irish, my dog has never spent a night outside as long as I have had him and I wouldn't have it any other way. What's the point if having a dog if you are just going to leave it outside all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

What's the safest way to cross a busy road in England?

Take your dog with you - an Englishman would never hurt a dog.

Alright, not very funny, but I thought I'd share it with ye anyway.

The custom of keeping pets in the house in Ireland is only a recent development afaik.

An unhygienic practice, no matter how well trained the pet is.

A well insulated shed is fine for pets.

But shur as we always copy the English .............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

My Akita is in house all the time
    I'm Irish
    I'd rather the dog inside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Míshásta wrote: »

Absolutely, shur when I got my dog I googled what the English do and decided that I'd allow him inside. It had nothing to do with the dogs welfare what so ever.

Saying that I have another friend who's family keeps their dogs inside. They're very well trained, would never go to the toilet inside etc.

That fine but it's just the hairs that get me. All over the shop. When I was young we had a dog, I used to bring him inside at night, would hate the idea of him being out there alone. But he stayed in a room next to the kitchen and was grand. (also when no one was around I'd let him **** on the couch with me but I was 8 or so, my parents wouldn't' do that)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Porkchop McGee

The English are always eating crisps, too. What's up with that. They love crisps, they do.

There's nothing wrong with keeping a dog inside provided you're not a scum lord and clean up after it, same with any other domestic pet. A bit of training with dogs goes a long way too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I preferred this thread when you posted it in The Soccer Forum :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

FENTON!

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I have never understood the concept of indoor and outdoor dogs, apparently small dogs are indoor dogs and big dogs are outdoor dogs, but they are all dogs:confused: I'm Irish, my dog has never spent a night outside as long as I have had him and I wouldn't have it any other way. What's the point if having a dog if you are just going to leave it outside all the time.

Well the big dogs like collies, retrievers etc. are generally more active than the small ones (sausage dogs and the like) so they are classed as outside dogs...dogs you should have in the country and not in the city. There's my housemates problem then..we live in a city.

If you keep an collie or retriever inside they'll go nuts. They want to be out running around sniffing stuff. The guys dog literally has a fit when he sees his lead coming out for the walk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In Ireland, people who have middle to sizable dogs keep them outside. You should have a nice bit of shelter and warm bedding for him.

However in England, people keep theirs inside. For example, my flatmate. He has a retriever and he keeps it indoors. It's basically kind of put me off dogs in favour of cats. This dog (and this is a reflection on the owner) pisses at least once a week in the house, walks in his **** outside in the back yard (which should have been cleaned up anyway).

Right now the owner has him outside in the back yard and the dog is whining because he can't get into the house...unreal.

Possibly a bit contradictory, no?

I think your survey sample is probably a bit small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Brings the we're better than the British to a higher level

The custom of keeping pets in the house in Ireland is only a recent development afaik.

Yep agree with this. Although I don't mind the smaller dogs being in the house as long as they're well trained and have their own space. But it's nuts keeping the bigger ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

I think you'll find its not an English/Irish divide on where the dogs sleep but a Rural/Urban divide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Only mad Englishmen and Dogs... something something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I love dogs. Over here you can bring your dog into most pubs, so often there are dogs running around pubs, which is great for dog lovers. I've never seen that in Ireland, maybe once or twice in rural Ireland, which is a shame.

looksee wrote: »
    Possibly a bit contradictory, no?

I think your survey sample is probably a bit small.

Well the dog does go into the back yard sometimes. 90% of the time he's indoors

Calibos wrote: »
    I think you'll find its not an English/Irish divide on where the dogs sleep but a Rural/Urban divide.

Explain

If you're saying that the rural folk keep their dogs outside well then no, the rural folk in england are the prime suspects for it. They'll keep their (big) dogs indoors, their dog will go everywhere with them, their jeeps will be covered in dog hairs etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

My Irish brother in law has a very large labrador which sleeps in the kitchen.

Yes of course English people do love their dogs, but this whole thing about only 'English' people allowing their dogs to sleep inside is a red herring.

Some English people do some don't, same goes for Irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't understand why people get dogs and then leave them outside. Why did you get a dog if you've no interest in spending time with him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I love dogs. Over here you can bring your dog into most pubs, so often there are dogs running around pubs, which is great for dog lovers. I've never seen that in Ireland, maybe once or twice in rural Ireland, which is a shame.

I've met a few dogs in pubs tbh :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Well the big dogs like collies, retrievers etc. are generally more active than the small ones (sausage dogs and the like) so they are classed as outside dogs...dogs you should have in the country and not in the city. There's my housemates problem then..we live in a city.

If you keep an collie or retriever inside they'll go nuts. They want to be out running around sniffing stuff. The guys dog literally has a fit when he sees his lead coming out for the walk

No not generally in fairness, my dog is a boxer and he lives inside with us, sure he goes mad when he sees the lead but what dog doesn't, he is also a lazy so and so and refuses to get up out of bed in the morning and doesn't like to go outside if it's any bit cold or raining even if he has been in for ages and must really have to go to the toilet.

Greyhounds are big dogs but are the biggest couch potatoes going, a jack Russell is tiny but will be going just as long as a collie or a retriever. Really they are all just dogs, size doesn't come into it, I personally don't see the pointin having an outdoor dog, for what so you can pat his head on the way to the car.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Calibos wrote: »
    +1. If you're going to keep a dog outside, they need to have a things to keep them busy, a bit of space to run around and plenty of things to explore and sniff. A big rural garden will give a dog plenty of things to keep them busy, but it just seems a bit mean to keep a dog out on their own in a crappy little walled in (sub)urban garden. Much better to keep them in the house where they at least have some company and activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I've two inside dogs. One a retriever cross and one a jack Russell cross. They are clean, they keep me company, I spend a lot of time training them and they make us happy. In fairness they are better behaved and mannered than some people. So long as a dog is properly exercised every day then in general they're happy to sleep and mouch. Inside or outside they need their exercise. Why have a dog if you just ignore it and spend no time with it? The hairs are a small price and there is this great invention called a Hoover that works really well sorting that out :-).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

squod wrote: »
    Few English people keep their hamsters ''inside'' too

Googles *hamster up bum*

That was an American Actor I believe, who I shan't mention as he is an officer and a gentleman.:cool:

My dog stays inside, mainly because she thinks she is a human who just likes sniffing dogs butts. But there are rules. she isn't allowed in bedrooms, on the sofa etc. My neighbour has two Labradors who live indoors, but I think they keep their kids in a shed out the back.

One thing we do do with our dogs in England is get them spade, not let them get pregnant and then **** them out on the street for someone else to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

also when no one was around I'd let him **** on the couch with me but I was 8 or so, my parents wouldn't' do that)

You let him WHAT on the couch wit you?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

a lot of pedigree dogs would not last outdoors in the winter,they are mainly indoor dogs,i would say up to 90% of dogs in the UK are kept indoors,dogs in ireland are a problem as many do not know how to look after them,the pounds are full of unwanted dogs,many of the rescue centres in the UK are having to bring them over from ireland to find them a home,the latest big problem we have with stray dogs in england is that some irish drivers are bringing over unwanted greyhounds on the ferries and dumping them on the motorways,

My dog is a small one, that we keep inside most of the time, but let her go out whenever she needs to. Would absolutely never make her spend a night outside, especially considering that she was a rescue dog and was tied to a fence in the middle of nowhere for who knows how long before someone brought her to the shelter.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My Samoyed is outdoors for the day. Ive a very large garden, so she seems happy with that. At night, she comes in and sleeps in the kitchen until morning. If the weather is really bad out, she comes in. If the weather is bad, and I open the door, she will run out, do her wee, then come straight back in and go asleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

My dog stays indoors with me. He"s well trained, closes doors behind him and rings bells by the door when he wants it opened. :) everybody's happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

His missus has a cat and it never pisses, avoids walking in the ****. This dog should actually be off living on a farm, not in a city. Hopefully the guy sees sense and gets rid (though he's had him for a while). He's been talking about it lately because the dog is unmanageable

Yeah, so English people keeping their dogs in their own house, regardless of the size...what's up with that?

Nothing particularly English about that... I had never even heard of people keeping dogs outside when I was growing up in Germany, and later on living in Canada.
    I think the keeping-dogs-outside thing is very Irish. And I can't say I particularly like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

You've an appropriate name.

Miserable bollix ya

getz wrote: »
    a lot of pedigree dogs would not last outdoors in the winter,they are mainly indoor dogs,i would say up to 90% of dogs in the UK are kept indoors,dogs in ireland are a problem as many do not know how to look after them,the pounds are full of unwanted dogs,many of the rescue centres in the UK are having to bring them over from ireland to find them a home,the latest big problem we have with stray dogs in england is that some irish drivers are bringing over unwanted greyhounds on the ferries and dumping them on the motorways,

so do you get your dial mail in the shops or do you just read online nowadays?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I take it you're a West Brit then.

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    Nothing particularly English about that... I had never even heard of people keeping dogs outside when I was growing up in Germany, and later on living in Canada.
    I think the keeping-dogs-outside thing is very Irish. And I can't say I particularly like it.

Surely it's what dog houses were invented for.

My point is that big dogs should be able to run around outside most of the day and not walk around the house, pissing, ****ting, and looking at you when your eating food, expecting some

Bottom line is my housemate needs to send the dog off to live with his parents I think. Don't think I'd have a problem with it if he didn't smell, **** and piss and was well behaved, in fact I was looking forward to having one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If you think things are bad in the UK with indoor dogs, try Spain.

The Spanish have no problems bring large dogs into multi story apartment blocks. I stayed in one 12 story block in Barcelona for a few months that had everything from Alsations, Doberman, Labrador and bull terriers. Every time an ambulance or cop car would pass you could hear them all go mental. People generally looked after them well by walking them in the evenings.

so do you get your dial mail in the shops or do you just read online nowadays?
    there are many dog rescue centres around near me ,as well as my nextdoor neighbour works in one of them,and i live less the a few miles fro the ferry,and as i have a bully myself i talk to a lot of people who have taken in some of the rescue dogs ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Surely it's what dog houses were invented for.

Until I came here, the only dog I knew of who lived in a dog house was Snoopy.
    I had actually believed that whole set up was a bit of artistic liberty.
    My point is that big dogs should be able to run around outside most of the day and not walk around the house, pissing, ****ting, and looking at you when your eating food, expecting some

Bottom line is my housemate needs to send the dog off to live with his parents I think. Don't think I'd have a problem with it if he didn't smell, **** and piss and was well behaved, in fact I was looking forward to having one

I don't have a dog, and I am scared of large dogs. But most people seem to be doing just fine talking their dog(s) for long walks and otherwise keeping them in the house?
    Why would you just f*ck you dog out of the house and let it run around outside to get run over?

i used to spend the month of feb on holidays in ireland,i just outside gorey,the ex farmer had a large estate and would let his cottages,his old sheep dog was very friendly,and was kept in a shed outside,when it got really cold he would try and sneek into our cottage and lie in front of the open fire alongside my english bully,one smelly steaming dog

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

How could anybody allow Dogs or Cats in their houses, it is disgusting, you'd smell the dog the minute you put a foot inside the front door and as for cats don't get started horrible creatures who molt hair everywhere and have an evil look to them.

I don't mind dogs but they should be chained up outside with a kennel or give them one of those electro-shocker things to keep them from wandering off.

My last dog I had her for 15 years and I'd take her for walks a few times a week and she only came into the Kitchen for short periods of time and only ever slept indoors once in the porch when she was having puppies.

Animals indoors is unclean and says alot about the cleanliness of the people who do it.

Stinicker wrote: »
    How could anybody allow Dogs or Cats in their houses, it is disgusting, you'd smell the dog the minute you put a foot inside the front door and as for cats don't get started horrible creatures who molt hair everywhere and have an evil look to them.

I don't mind dogs but they should be chained up outside with a kennel or give them one of those electro-shocker things to keep them from wandering off.

My last dog I had her for 15 years and I'd take her for walks a few times a week and she only came into the Kitchen for short periods of time and only ever slept indoors once in the porch when she was having puppies.

Animals indoors is unclean and says alot about the cleanliness of the people who do it.
    gandhi; quote;,you can tell alot about people by the way they treat their animals,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

seamus wrote: »
    I don't understand why people get dogs and then leave them outside. Why did you get a dog if you've no interest in spending time with him?

Guard dogs, protection?

Growing up we always followed the "small dog inside, big dog outside" thing. In the country it makes sense. Small dogs are compact and dont make a nuissance of themselves, not much hair to clean up etc etc. Large dogs that come in covered in muck and then jump all over you and on the furniture are a real pain. Not saying they must never be allowed inside, they're inside alot in most houses. But outside is their domain and if they have a well insulated and warm doghouse, they are fine. Its great to love dogs and give them a comfortable life, but they arent human beings and don't need to be treated like infants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Most of the English are so many generations back from their rural ancestors that they have lost their link to the countryside.

There's your major difference :D

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

What a sweeping generalisation. Stupid thread. Close it somebody.

• Advertisement
Advertisement