Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gave up smoking and now cant stop eating!

• 20-11-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have given up smoking a week or so ago and its going ok so far.

Basically my problem is my appetite has gone through the roof since. For example, Ive had a bowl of porridge, a banana and 2 kiwis and my stomach is rumbling an hour before lunch! I know this is a side effect of giving up smoking but I'd rather be a bit fatter than still smoking.

I'm not sure if eating fruit all the time is going to help. Has anyone any suggestions of really filling, healthy foods that I could nibble on during the day to get me through?

I have started running and walk for about an hour a day anyways.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The problem is you've basically eaten nothing but sugar there. It gets digested quick and spikes your hunger again soon.

You'd be better with eggs/nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

stick with protein sources, it keeps you feeling fuller for longer.

if the 'hunger' is being caused by cravings for cigs sip water until the feeling passes, or distract yourself with an engaging activity for a few minutes.

consider a 'crutch' for aiding giving up. I used a nicorette inhaler for good results, some others choose gum or electric cigs. but take care here, you dont want to replace one bad habit with another. if it helps, my inhaler was totally empty after a week, i hardly ever filled the cartridges, so i was usually puffing on an empty plastic tube during the craving attacks. but psychologically it kept the cravings to a minimum and i gained very little weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Thanks all,

I'm using the nicorette gum alright, trying to only use it 2-3 times a day when cravings get bad. My appetite seems to have gone through the roof. I'll try eggs for breakfast for the rest of the week. I actually really like nuts but find it hard to stop eating them and if I know Im this hungry I'll eat double what I normally eat.

I'll just have to run twice as fast to keep the weight down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You have to stop trying to replace cravings for nicotine with food and confusing the two. Don't nibble on anything in the day by doing that you are mixing up the feelings in your head of food and cravings. If you are hungry eat big protein and vegetable meals and lay off the fruit snacks during the day. Learn to notice when something is a food craving and a cigarette craving. It shouldn't last long though, if that is any consolation. A lot of people replace with lollipops or sweets and fruit, its not going to work you are craving a cigarette not food and this will make you fat.

A lot of people will not agree with me on this but I would stay away from anything with nicotine in it, you are prolonging the addiction. Cold turkey is much more effective as a lot of the addiction is mental. Stay away from nicotine and sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

a lot of addictions are based around routines

so in the evenings, you need to change your routine.
    get off the couch
    go out for a walk during your break or lunch
    volunteer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Thanks for the responses all!

Firstly I dont sit around on the couch in the evenings, I do a degree partime so am either studying or in class most evenings and weekends. Im coping with my cravings fine and giving up the smokes, I'm just struggling with my appetitie. I go for a 5km run every morning before work, cant do it after because of college.I go for a walk at lunch already and a walk after work.

I'm still contantly hungry! have had porridge and a mandarin so far today and feel ok. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Greenduck wrote: »

I'm still contantly hungry! have had porridge and a mandarin so far today and feel ok. Fingers crossed!

while porridge is good, and mandarins are healthy. It is basically just sugar.

like Hanley said, sugar is digested and used by your body really quickly and you feel hungry soon after. Try a protein based breakfast. grilled bacon and scrambled eggs. steak and eggs, greek yoghurt and almonds slice of beetroot and mint leaves, cheese and ham, tuna salad, roast loin of pork! doesnt really matter what you have as long as it has some decent amount of protein.
    Protein digests slower and this means that your body remains fuller for longer so you wont feel hungry as quickly.

protein breakfast ideas

the rest is discipline and managing those cravings. good news is is that they quickly subside so as long as you get over the first few days the rest is easy. Best of luck, and dont let the cravings beat you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Nobody's mentioned that the chewing action with the gum could make you hungrier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i always thought that the chewing action with gum would be more likely to trick you into thinking you're eating and curb hunger...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

i always thought that the chewing action with gum would be more likely to trick you into thinking you're eating and curb hunger...

I can't quite remember how it works but the chewing signals the digestive system that food is on the way and it prepares for food.

It's more complicated than that but I can't really remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

Think the glands start secreeting more saliva as a result of the chewing action. As the purpose of saliva is to help carry food through the system, the stomach then begins to think there are treats en route!

I think...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

FWIW chewing gum suppresses my appetite.

Advertisement