Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duck stuff

Options
  • 20-11-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭

I roasted a duck yesterday, and collected the liquid from the pan. Of course I got enough fat for lots of roast potatoes, but I also got about 250ml of a rich-looking brown gelatinous liquid. It looks too good to dump without first checking with people here: is it worth doing anything with it? Can I make a good sauce with it?

There is still half a duck remaining for this evening's dinner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I roasted a duck yesterday, and collected the liquid from the pan. Of course I got enough fat for lots of roast potatoes, but I also got about 250ml of a rich-looking brown gelatinous liquid. It looks too good to dump without first checking with people here: is it worth doing anything with it? Can I make a good sauce with it?

There is still half a duck remaining for this evening's dinner.
    Use it as basis for a stock. Way to good to throw out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Just mix it with an equal amount of chicken stock in a saucepan and reduce by half, I'm guessing you will be left with a very tasty gravy to pour over your duck this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Okay folks: we seem to agree it is good stuff. I had been thinking of adding red wine to it, and reducing the mix. Does that excite any palates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Okay folks: we seem to agree it is good stuff. I had been thinking of adding red wine to it, and reducing the mix. Does that excite any palates?

Sounds excellent.

Do taste the original residue before you do anything else to it though. It's probably very good, but if it tastes awful to start, there's very little chance of it improving, and all you'll do is waste time, effort, and other ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The flavour of the brown goo was a bit less intense than I expected, so I added a generous glass of wine and reduced the mix very heavily (about two-thirds) to concentrate it. 'Twas good.

Plenty left over. We might have magret later in the week.

Thanks for encouraging me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement