Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric soup maker

Options
  • 20-11-2012 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

I am wondering if anyone here has used a soup maker, something like this:

http://www.electricshopping.ie/cuisinart-ssb1u-soup-maker.html#.UKt632cRDnk

I would love to make my own soup, but I don’t have a blender or a deep pot to cook it in. I like the look of the convenience of the soup maker, but are they a bit of a gimmick? Would I be better just buying a deep pot and a hand blender? On the advertising bumff, it says that the soup maker browns the onions etc, but the base of the soup maker looks quite small for browning onions. Also, it looks like it wouldn’t make a lot of soup, part of the reason I would want to make my own soup would be to make a big batch and freeze it. Anyone any positive or negative experiences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ditto, get a decent deep pot and a hand blender instead. You'll get more use out of each of them than just making soup.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think they look like a gimmick. Soup is so easy to make and all you need is a large pot and a hand blender. I can't believe the price of those things :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks all, I suppose it is a lot of money when you think about it, I think it can be used as a regular blender as well though. I think I saw the Cusinart one for half price somewhere, but can’t remember where.

The only problem is, I had it down as a possible Xmas pressie from my hubby. I don’t think he’s too impressed with getting me a kitchen gadget as it is, I think he’ll really balk at getting me a blender and a pot :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think they look like a gimmick. Soup is so easy to make and all you need is a large pot and a hand blender. I can't believe the price of those things :eek:

I was going to get one, and then decided it was a gimmick, and it doesn't seem to make much in terms of quantity.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    I was going to get one, and then decided it was a gimmick, and it doesn't seem to make much in terms of quantity.
    That was one of my worries, 1.4 litres according to the website I posted. I would be hoping to make 2-3 litres at a time and freeze in individual servings to bring in for lunch.

I'd be pretty sure the pot and a decent hand blender combined would be cheaper than that soup maker gadget, unless you go completely overboard, so I can't see how hubby can complain really.

BTW a hand blender is better suited to this task as well, as pouring hot soup from a pan into a bowl blender is an accident waiting to happen in my experience.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ncmc wrote: »
    That was one of my worries, 1.4 litres according to the website I posted. I would be hoping to make 2-3 litres at a time and freeze in individual servings to bring in for lunch.

If it was for an xmas present, you could maybe ask him for something like a Le Crueset pot instead?

Alun wrote: »
    I'd be pretty sure the pot and a decent hand blender combined would be cheaper than that soup maker gadget, unless you go completely overboard, so I can't see how hubby can complain really.

BTW a hand blender is better suited to this task as well, as pouring hot soup from a pan into a bowl blender is an accident waiting to happen in my experience.
    Nothing to do with the money Alun, we open gifts in front of my family and I can imagine their faces if he got me a pot and a blender!!! Even though I asked for it, I know he'd be worried they'd think him a sexist pig :D:D:D
    Stheno wrote: »
    If it was for an xmas present, you could maybe ask him for something like a Le Crueset pot instead?
    That's a good idea actually. I've always wanted a Le Crueset.... God I need to get out more!

Actually, an aditional question, could you make soup in a large cast iron pot, or would a deep stainless steel one be better? Could the blender damage the cast iron?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

ncmc wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the money Alun, we open gifts in front of my family and I can imagine their faces if he got me a pot and a blender!!! Even though I asked for it, I know he'd be worried they'd think him a sexist pig :D:D:D

Jaysus, tell them to get stuffed, and that's what you asked for. One year I got a chainsaw for Christmas, another year I got a pair of pyjamas; all stuff I wanted and had asked for. If necessary take your family aside beforehand and tell them that what comes out of the wrapping paper is exactly what you asked for.

• Advertisement

FYI I was just in Tesco, and happened to see they had a nice 7 litre stainless steel, aluminium based, stock pot with a glass lid for €42.

Personally I'd much rather get something I really wanted than some useless thingamajig that either gets hidden away and forgotten, or sold on eBay the moment Christmas is over :D

Advertisement