Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

G8 summit in Co Fermanagh

• 20-11-2012 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1120/david-cameron-to-visit-northern-ireland.html

British Prime Minister David Cameron has confirmed next year's G8 summit will be held in Lough Erne, Co Fermanagh.
    The summit will be held on 17-18 June at the Lough Erne Hotel.
    Mr Cameron made the announcement during his PM Direct Sessions meeting with factory workers in Co Armagh.
    "I want the world to see just what a fantastic place Northern Ireland is," Mr Cameron said.
    The summit will be one of the most high-profile events ever witnessed in Northern Ireland.
    Barack Obama will be among those heading for Fermanagh, but it will not be the first time a US president has been a guest in the county.
    Bill Clinton has visited Enniskillen on a number of occasions and a community centre in the town bears his name.
    The last time the G8 summit was held in the United Kingdom was at Gleneagles in Scotland in 2005.
    The five-star Lough Erne complex in Enniskillen, opened in 2007, is located on a 600-acre peninsula between Castle Hume Lough and Lower Lough Erne.
    The £35 million development is now on the market for a third of that figure.
    The G8 brings together the heads of eight of the world's most powerful economies - the US, Russia, Germany, France, Italy, the UK, Japan and Canada.
    The G8's roots lie in the oil crisis and global economic recession of the early 1970s.
    Next year will be the 39th meeting in a series dating back to 1976.
    Leaders aim to boost co-operation over trade and finance and strengthen the global economy.
    This year the premiers of Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia and the EU joined US President Barack Obama at Camp David, Maryland.

Is this not the one with all the riots??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Now with added sectarianism!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

You mean the one with protests that would be attacked by the police.

To show how democratic those leaders are, they hide their meetings away now in the asshole of nowhere to make it difficult for huge numbers to protest against the corruption of the elite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Zebra3 wrote: »

To show how democratic those leaders are, they hide their meetings away now in the asshole of nowhere to make it difficult for huge numbers to protest against the corruption of the elite.

ya that's the one alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

summerskin wrote: »
    Now with added sectarianism!

Also a few Pro-Sean Quinn protests.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Tis. (Eh, the one where the police and protesters attack each other).

I wonder will they spill over and flare up south of the border?

The Gardaí won't be able to borrow the watercannon from the PSNI this time because they'll need it themselves.

They're fúcked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Will the Quinns be invited along? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

All jokes aside this is great news add some much needed funds to the area

Great news

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Anyone else think it's a strange place to have it in, especially coming up to the marching season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

That makes no sense :confused:

If people want to protest, a bit of travelling shouldn't stop them?!

Would Dublin be an acceptable venue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Winty wrote: »

Great news

Id say any funds will go on security lots and lots of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Chucken wrote: »

Do you think there'd be bigger protests in a large city of a small village?

They pick the middle of nowhere in winter so there's just not the facilities to deal with large numbers of protesters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

Jesus...can you picture the heads on the boys when they see Fermanagh for the first time..."bloody hell lads, the recession is worse than we thought :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Great news

Not good for the area at all, will be complete nightmare for any local residents and will bring no money to the area.

Interesting venue considering it is in administration.

Is Belfast or Dublin handier to commute from or will it matter? Helicopters all over the place!

They pick the middle of nowhere in winter so there's just not the facilities to deal with large numbers of protesters.

Its in June ;)

I dont think it should matter where its held.
    If people are cant stand by their ideals and make their way to protest, then maybe they should stick to armchair protesting.

For what? A conference we have nothing to do with or protest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

I think an idea I heard on here..... of growing grass/crops and then mowing in messages that the world leaders can see as they fly over in their helicopters....is a great idea!!

My message would be really sappy, like ' WORLD PEACE ' or ' BE KIND '

I live near by...I'll assemble a team of mowers... :-D

Because holding it in the Europa in the middle of Belfast would be much better for the protestors:rolleyes:

Of course they hold them away from the public, you think the secret service, MI5 etc... want people to get near them??

Think the last one in the States was help in Camp David!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

If they held off a couple of weeks, the majority of the riotious population would be up at the garvaghy road. But then again, so would most of the police.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

AGC wrote: »

Think the last one in the States was help in Camp David!

Indeed it was!

For what? A conference we have nothing to do with or protest?

That was typed with tongue firmly in cheek ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I know the weathr can be bad in the North West but jeeze are you now claiming June is in winter ?
    I think an idea I heard on here..... of growing grass/crops and then mowing in messages that the world leaders can see as they fly over in their helicopters....is a great idea!!

My message would be really sappy, like ' WORLD PEACE ' or ' BE KIND '

I live near by...I'll assemble a team of mowers... :-D

How much do you bet some eeejits will write "Free the Quinn 1"

How about just writing Fook Off ?
    Every pilot would fly over it just for a laugh.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Stheno wrote: »
    Anyone else think it's a strange place to have it in, especially coming up to the marching season?
    As Britain is the host they are entitled to have it in any part of the United Kingdom they want.
    Why they picked a place full of inbred yokels who can be guaranteed to whinge and moan about the disruption to the fulfilled lives baffles me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Luca Brasi wrote: »
    As Britain is the host they are entitled to have it in any part of the United Kingdom they want.
    Why they picked a place full of inbred yokels who can be guaranteed to whinge and moan about the disruption to the fulfilled lives baffles me

AS the UK is host they can have it anywhere in the UK you mean?

We really dont want to start mixing up our Britains and our UK's in northern Ireland now do we. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The UK is hosting this summit. Dublin is not in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Air Force One landing in Belfast? the M1 will be full of Plane Spotters.

AS the UK is host they can have it anywhere in the UK you mean?

We really dont want to start mixing up our Britains and our UK's in northern Ireland now do we. :D
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    The UK is hosting this summit. Dublin is not in the UK.

Ok. Sorry :o

Not good for the area at all, will be complete nightmare for any local residents and will bring no money to the area.

Interesting venue considering it is in administration.

Is Belfast or Dublin handier to commute from or will it matter? Helicopters all over the place!

Sorry do not agree.

The area and the venue will need tarting up so construction jobs and the media will need hotels and resturants so the area will have money left behind
    The locals will see the benefit as it will only last a handful of days

Sorry do not agree.

The area and the venue will need tarting up so construction jobs and the media will need hotels and resturants so the area will have money left behind

And then the North will be hit with a lovely security bill which will out do it all.

The venue doesn't need much tarting up, what it will need is a complete pre visit by each delegation for security etc which will again come out of the tax payers pocket.

A 2 day conference like this won't bring much if anything in the long run bar hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Lough Erne is one of the most beautiful settings in the UK and I think it is a great venue to host such a summit.

The international tourist industry is already very well developed in Fermanagh so hopefully this will further that.

Lough Erne had a lot of American service personnel stationed in the run up to D Day. Hopefully the world will know a bit more about it by this time next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I agree with Terrontress. Lough Erne is picturesque and the golf course is an ideal setting for the summit.

The G8 summit is broadcast worldwide and regardless of protesters, the airtime this part part of the North West gets, should hopefully boost tourism for Fermanagh and its surrounding counties.

I hope Bord Failte takes advantage of the summit and books advertising space on TV stations in (at least) the 8 participating countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Lapin wrote: »
    Tis. (Eh, the one where the police and protesters attack each other).

I wonder will they spill over and flare up south of the border?

The Gardaí won't be able to borrow the watercannon from the PSNI this time because they'll need it themselves.

They're fúcked.

The PSNI have 3 of them Loads to go around

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Sorry do not agree.

The venue certainly doesn't need "tarting up", we were in over the summer for a snoop-all we could afford, but it's very plush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Luca Brasi wrote: »

Go sleep with the fishes.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

They've previously held it in some right kips. Maybe, just maybe, some of these fuhken clowns got themselves some cop-on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I am really excited about this and delighted that Fermanagh go the nod. My sister-in-law works in the Spa there and am hoping she gets to give Obama and his counterparts one of her amazing (but somewhat torturous) Thai Massages. She walks on your back and pulls the bejaysus outta your legs!

I think this will do wonders for a great town with a lot of media staying around in the lead up to it and during it. I wonder will Obama go visit the Clinton centre while there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Your sister will get a special massage from security before she's allow stamp on anyone :p.

I wouldn't worry about the summit, looting and rioting should continue as normal and be unaffected throughout the rest of the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cassandra Syndrome

This could mean that the Bilderberg conference will be held in Wicklow in May. Looks like we will be infested with psychopaths next year, but at least they are spending other sheeple's money in the process in this country.

There is, however a trade off here, with the cost of domestic security and the shutdown of Enniskillen and surrounding areas for the week. But economically it should be a net benefit, even though we are selling our souls to the devil and war criminals such as Obama and Putin, technocratic fascists such as Mario Monte and Angela Merkel and communists such as Francois Hollande.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

2000 extra police officers will be drafted in from Britain :eek:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20466162

Funny part :D
    bbc wrote:
    Given that the World Police and Fire Games are expected to attract 25,000 visitors from 70 countries to Northern Ireland next August, many officers face having no holiday during the summer.

What happens if you go sick? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

It's really just a gate summit in Fermanagh. They're only called it "G8" to lure new young trendy textspeak types into the gate industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

They picked there because they heard the people next door were really quiet and timid. Not a hope of a protest out of them. Take absolutely every colour of crap and say thanks, apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

This will do nothing for NI/Ireland or the local economy. Local gombeens will do well out of it and the people at the resort already work there.

When they have their little globalist chinwag and then leave, the NorthWest will be still in deep recession and Enniskillen will still make more from Free State Drunks buying bulk gargle.

That's just how it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ah Fermanagh, half the county is under water and the other half don't play GAA

Not a great football team :(

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

Drones to fly over Irish skies for the first time in June. The thought of these unmanned planes flying overhead is unsettling. These may or may not be armed. They have killed civilians in Pakistan, Yemen etc. This is a violation of individual privacy and increases the monitoring of people beyond cctv in cities to countryside aswell. It's a move more akin to the old RUC rather than the PSNI.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/psni-to-buy-two-hightech-spy-drones-ahead-of-g8-summit-29133546.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83684890

Apparently it's not a problem ;p
    Apparently it might even be ''good''....

(Sarcasm off)...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

can you even land a 747 in Belfast or will they all have to come through Dublin?

Drones to fly over Irish skies for the first time in June. The thought of these unmanned planes flying overhead is unsettling. These may or may not be armed. They have killed civilians in Pakistan, Yemen etc. This is a violation of individual privacy and increases the monitoring of people beyond cctv in cities to countryside aswell. It's a move more akin to the old RUC rather than the PSNI.

Do you live near the hotel? If not do not worry about you privacy.

If you do live near the hotel try some kitchen tin foil and a wire coat hanger, that will stop any violation of your privacy.

The G8 is great for Fermanagh and Ireland lets not drag this into anti British scaremonging

Thanks

Winty

Advertisement