Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court removed to Kilkenny?

Options
  • 20-11-2012 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

part of the court in Waterford is apparently (front of N&S) being touted for moving to KK. this puts the 15m promised for court ext and new fire station in doubt.

Is there no ends to what FG will do to rape Waterford of its assets while prviding little to no support

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

This has to be a joke? How would that even work?
    Can you scan the page, OP? Nothing on News and Star website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Max Powers wrote: »
    part of the court in Waterford is apparently (front of N&S) being touted for moving to KK. this puts the 15m promised for court ext and new fire station in doubt.

Is there no ends to what FG will do to rape Waterford of its assets while prviding little to no support

Sweet Jesus. It is now becoming obvious what's going on. It will be Galway all over again if we are not careful.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

We cant put up a scanned version of the newspaper. This is no longer allowed across Boards. Post a snippet of part of the article and it will be fine.

This is news to me. I heard something on WLR this morning but I didn't catch the detail. Shall definitely be asking for more info on this. The government have given funding for an expansion to the court house but they require the fire service to move which negotations are ongoing at the moment. The intention is to expand the courthouse to the rear and accommodate a 6 courtroom courthouse. So, I have no idea why it would be partly in Kilkenny.

Sully wrote: »
    We cant put up a scanned version of the newspaper. This is no longer allowed across Boards. Post a snippet of part of the article and it will be fine.

This is news to me. I heard something on WLR this morning but I didn't catch the detail. Shall definitely be asking for more info on this. The government have given funding for an expansion to the court house but they require the fire service to move which negotations are ongoing at the moment. The intention is to expand the courthouse to the rear and accommodate a 6 courtroom courthouse. So, I have no idea why it would be partly in Kilkenny.

I'd say someone else does though.......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7upfree wrote: »
    I'd say someone else does though.......

Does what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Dan133269 wrote: »
    This has to be a joke? How would that even work?
    Can you scan the page, OP? Nothing on News and Star website.

no can do on the scan, i was just rushing out of a shop on my lunch when i saw it on front page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Apparently the money is in place to build the courthouse but Envirnoment will not give the money to move the Fire station so impasse,

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

One would question if this has anything to do the potential downgrade of City status, can a town have a court the size of Waterford. Is there a legality that only a city can have a certain type of court?

Kracken wrote: »
    One would question if this has anything to do the potential downgrade of City status, can a town have a court the size of Waterford. Is there a legality that only a city can have a certain type of court?

Waterford is not being downgraded and will remain a City. Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

With the merger and all the little bits and pieces being removed from us here and there its gonna start looking less and less like a city each day. One act by itself does not make us less of a city but all these acts combined together will jeopardize us as a city. Can you not see that.

• Advertisement

O Riain wrote: »
    With the merger and all the little bits and pieces being removed from us here and there its gonna start looking less and less like a city each day. One act by itself does not make us less of a city but all these acts combined together will jeopardize us as a city. Can you not see that.

I agree, but lets just hold back now and make sure there isn't anything like this going to continue happening.

- It looks like our hospital isn't at risk anymore, but again, lets approach this with caution.

- The courthouse was given funding recently and there are negotiations towards moving the firehouse which ill need to see what the problem is - that's the delay in that regard. This story in the News & Star is news to me and I really have no idea what its about.

- City status remains as is. Its rumours and people misleading the public for their own agenda in some cases and people just being a bit daft buying into it. Many politicians in opposition included and business people believe the merger will benefit Waterford but concerns are noted in terms of why others didn't get merged (reasons given for this, but no side will ever accept defeat) and how that may impact on how we fight our corner.

- VEC merged with Wexford. Seems like valid reasons given but nothing conclusive on either side to win that debate.

- In the past, there have been issues. I agree 100% we need to fight our corner and ensure this chipping away at Waterford does not continue under anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Does what?

Nobody (except you probably) would be one bit surprised if Phil Hogan was up to shenanigans and bigging up KK at the expense of Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Careful Now lads don't you know we're alll just paranoid here? It has nothing to do with Phil Hogan (Environment Minister). And of Course don't bad mouth our elected reps.God forbid they do something to call a halt to this fiasco!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

Apologises, I thought that it was still on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

In name only Sully. It will, de facto, be a step below Cork, Galway and Dublin in administrative terms, because it won't be on the same level as a county, unlike those cities. Now that is a fact, and to me it smells like a downgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Yes it is relative to the other City (Cork) in the new Southern Region which is not losing its City and County Council. Once the new regions are in place Waterford becomes a second tier player to Cork in the newly formed region.

In addition, Mr. Hogan's department is not sanctioning the finance to construct the new Fire Station. If this doesn't happen, the Courthouse will not be expanded and the High Court cases will move to Kilkenny.

Right well I can ease the speculation on this and deal with the paranoia once again. There is no factual suggestion or suggestion the government or Phil Hogan is intending to move the Court House. The paper is speculating on a theory by legal professionals that due to the delay in getting an improved courthouse, which may I add has secured funding by this government, over the relocation of the fire station that it would eventually lead to the service being shared with Kilkenny. That is what the paper is suggesting and it was never suggested as being considered by the government direclty or indirectly. Just a theory!

Now to focus on the issue at hand. Yes there are plans to extend the courthouse to give four extra courtrooms and yes this government has guaranteed funding for it. The problem is the fire station is in the way and needs to be moved. This is where the stumbling block is. Its been a known public issue for sometime now.

Our public reps have been at the forefront of negotiations and I can confirm that a very positive meeting was had this week with Minister Hogan and Cllr John Cummins with other local reps (ill post those names later when I confirm). It is hoped that Phil Hogan will agree, as this falls into his department, to give funds the construction of the new fire station at a seperate site in Waterford which would then in turn allow for the drawing down of funds already allocated by this government towards the court house as part of another major capital investment for Waterford under the jobs stimulus plan.

In the event that the fire station is not relocated, construction will go ahead on a smaller scale namely two extra courtrooms rather than the targeted four.

Right well I can ease the speculation on this and deal with the paranoia once again. There is no factual suggestion or suggestion the government or Phil Hogan is intending to move the Court House. The paper is speculating on a theory by legal professionals that due to the delay in getting an improved courthouse, which may I add has secured funding by this government, over the relocation of the fire station that it would eventually lead to the service being shared with Kilkenny. That is what the paper is suggesting and it was never suggested as being considered by the government direclty or indirectly. Just a theory!

Now to focus on the issue at hand. Yes there are plans to extend the courthouse to give four extra courtrooms and yes this government has guaranteed funding for it. The problem is the fire station is in the way and needs to be moved. This is where the stumbling block is. Its been a known public issue for sometime now.

Our public reps have been at the forefront of negotiations and I can confirm that a very positive meeting was had this week with Minister Hogan and Cllr John Cummins with other local reps (ill post those names later when I confirm). It is hoped that Phil Hogan will agree, as this falls into his department, to give funds the construction of the new fire station at a seperate site in Waterford which would then in turn allow for the drawing down of funds already allocated by this government towards the court house as part of another major capital investment for Waterford under the jobs stimulus plan.

In the event that the fire station is not relocated, construction will go ahead on a smaller scale namely two extra courtrooms rather than the targeted four.

The Finance for the new Fire Station was sanctioned as far back as 2004. According to Michael Walsh (City Manager) this "came to a shuddering halt due to...fiscal corrections by the Government in recent years".

Therefore, if the money that was promised in 2004 is not sanctioned by Minister Hogan, we will not get the expanded Courthouse as promised.

Also - I would love to hear your opinion about Waterfords position relative to Cork in the new Southern Region. Not a downgrade - my ars€!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

if the station is moved but to be kept within the city I'd move it to the old Gas Works site, with a new bridge onto Waterside, otherwise there must be a few units on the ORR that can be adapted.

Yes Boss wrote: »

The Finance for the new Fire Station was sanctioned as far back as 2004. According to Michael Walsh (City Manager) this "came to a shuddering halt due to...fiscal corrections by the Government in recent years".

Therefore, if the money that was promised in 2004 is not sanctioned by Minister Hogan, we will not get the expanded Courthouse as promised.

Also - I would love to hear your opinion about Waterfords position relative to Cork in the new Southern Region. Not a downgrade - my ars€!

Yes a lot of services and capital investments were cut back around Ireland due to the financial state of our affairs. Yes this was one of them put on hold by the governments but it is hoped it will be given by Phil Hogan to allow for a full expansion and not a part expansion which would happen regardless.

The city and county merger has been discussed already on these forums and id prefer another thread didnt get bogged down on another issue if that's okay (or just PM me if you don't want to look).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

mike65 wrote: »
    if the station is moved but to be kept within the city I'd move it to the old Gas Works site, with a new bridge onto Waterside, otherwise there must be a few units on the ORR that can be adapted.

Agreed, there are plenty of places to have the Station better positioned in the City, I wouldn't have thought that would be a major issue tbh.

Yes a lot of services and capital investments were cut back around Ireland due to the financial state of our affairs. Yes this was one of them put on hold by the governments but it is hoped it will be given by Phil Hogan to allow for a full expansion and not a part expansion which would happen regardless.

The city and county merger has been discussed already on these forums and id prefer another thread didnt get bogged down on another issue if that's okay (or just PM me if you don't want to look).

I'm fine with that once you stop misleading people. I will PM you my question.

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Agreed, there are plenty of places to have the Station better positioned in the City, I wouldn't have thought that would be a major issue tbh.

I think it was planned to move it Ballybeg drive somewhere which if you think about it would be a good location. This is sort of middle of the city and close to both the inner and outer ring road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I think it was planned to move it Ballybeg drive somewhere which if you think about it would be a good location. This is sort of middle of the city and close to both the inner and outer ring road.

Where exactly is that? Is it on the WIT side or the Tesco side, or even the Waterford Crystal Sports Centre side of Ballybeg?

At least if they are close to the ORR they can avoid some of that traffic from the college/facories at rush hour.

Where exactly is that? Is it on the WIT side or the Tesco side, or even the Waterford Crystal Sports Centre side of Ballybeg?

At least if they are close to the ORR they can avoid some of that traffic from the college/facories at rush hour.

I am not sure as I am going 100% from memory but I think it was close enough to the entrance of Ballybeg drive opposite the crystal showrooms where the farmyard was. There is not much land there nown but I think it would be enough still. I also seem to remeber something about it being a multi story structure (3-4) floors.

Where exactly is that?

Allegedly near Tesco Ballybeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

There does seem to be a bit of scare mongering in relation to the main services in Waterford however there have been, over the years, eroding of and actions that seem to be leaving Waterford out of the loop when you compare it to other Cites.

Examples of this would be the lack of science and IT based courses available to people who are unemployed through Springboard, all other major urban centres offer these course, we have the highest unempolyment and emigration rate, we desparately need these types of courses to attract MNC and SME

No ombudsman outreach service available in Waterford, all other major urban centres offer this service.

In another area 4 fm was the multi city radio station licenced buy the BCI however Waterford was the only City to not be covered by the 1st multi city radio station, why? Another service we didn't get in booming Ireland.

University we don't have one.

Longterm lack of funding and grants for the airport - not made available to Waterford in the boom time

These are just a small example of the various areas which allow for the undermining of Waterford. Apart from the Uni it may seem like minor services, but lack of these services have there own implications when people think about Waterford as a forward thinking, forwarding moving location.

Its all the little things that we are missing:(

There does seem to be a bit of scare mongering in relation to the main services in Waterford however there have been, over the years, eroding of and actions that seem to be leaving Waterford out of the loop when you compare it to other Cites.

Examples of this would be the lack of science and IT based courses available to people who are unemployed through Springboard, all other major urban centres offer these course, we have the highest unempolyment and emigration rate, we desparately need these types of courses to attract MNC and SME

No ombudsman outreach service available in Waterford, all other major urban centres offer this service.

In another area 4 fm was the multi city radio station licenced buy the BCI however Waterford was the only City to not be covered by the 1st multi city radio station, why? Another service we didn't get in booming Ireland.

University we don't have one.

Longterm lack of funding and grants for the airport - not made available to Waterford in the boom time

These are just a small example of the various areas which allow for the undermining of Waterford. Apart from the Uni it may seem like minor services, but lack of these services have there own implications when people think about Waterford as a forward thinking, forwarding moving location.

Its all the little things that we are missing:(

Great post. That one about 4FM is MOST interesting.

We also lost:

The IDA Regional Office (which is still advertised as being here at the cork Road entrance)

The ambulance control went to Wexford.

And just to add - I wouldn't call the University a "little thing". It will be the difference between this city surviving and dying a slow death.

I was always of the understanding that 4fm was objected to locally by competing stations in the city/region. I think its seriously getting silly if your suggesting government interference.

This current government has given significant investment towards Waterford. No doubt there has been a level of neglect and chipping away of services over the years.

- Court House expansion for at least two court rooms with a possibility of four court rooms.
    - Possibility that a new fire station will be built in Waterford, allowing for a full expansion, as above, of the court house and not just part. Work is ongoing.
    - 8m Flood Relief,
    - 2m Viking Triangle, Signage, Paving, etc.
    - Funding towards WRH; A&E with e Trauma Centre, relocation allowing for development of 5 isolation children cystic fibrosis rooms,
    - 1.44m for Waterford Co Co water works (by Phil Hogan),
    - Funding for the the WIT Carriganore campus,
    - Funding for Splashworld in Tramore,
    - Funding for a new Cycle Route scheme across Waterford.

We have received continued funding for our airport despite other airports, including Galway, having their funding withdrawn by the government. But the Minister for Transport, who has family connections to Waterford, has stated that airports need to work on helping themselves as there isn't a huge amount of funding that can be made available to smaller airports.

In regards to University - nothing personal, but I believe a lot of the Universities are objecting to additional ones being created regardless of who it is. We are in the Program for Government - a first for us - and commitments have been given to get a Technological University which is being established. No other government has gone this far in regards to WIT moving forward.

• Advertisement

In regards to University - nothing personal, but I believe a lot of the Universities are objecting to additional ones being created regardless of who it is. We are in the Program for Government - a first for us - and commitments have been given to get a Technological University which is being established. No other government has gone this far in regards to WIT moving forward.

This is obviously gone by the wayside then. Ah, the joys of being in opposition.

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/fine-gaels-university-pledge/

"He promised that Fine Gael would campaign vigorously on the issue in opposition and if unsuccessful would deliver on its commitment if returned to power at the next election. Meanwhile – again in the absence of their desired response from the current government – it would be made a prime issue in the local and European elections next year".

Advertisement