Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court removed to Kilkenny?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Sully wrote: »
    I was always of the understanding that 4fm was objected to locally by competing stations in the city/region. I think its seriously getting silly if your suggesting government interference.

This current government has given significant investment towards Waterford. No doubt there has been a level of neglect and chipping away of services over the years.

- Court House expansion for at least two court rooms with a possibility of four court rooms.
    - Possibility that a new fire station will be built in Waterford, allowing for a full expansion, as above, of the court house and not just part. Work is ongoing.
    - 8m Flood Relief,
    - 2m Viking Triangle, Signage, Paving, etc.
    - Funding towards WRH; A&E with e Trauma Centre, relocation allowing for development of 5 isolation children cystic fibrosis rooms,
    - 1.44m for Waterford Co Co water works (by Phil Hogan),
    - Funding for the the WIT Carriganore campus,
    - Funding for Splashworld in Tramore,
    - Funding for a new Cycle Route scheme across Waterford.

We have received continued funding for our airport despite other airports, including Galway, having their funding withdrawn by the government. But the Minister for Transport, who has family connections to Waterford, has stated that airports need to work on helping themselves as there isn't a huge amount of funding that can be made available to smaller airports.

In regards to University - nothing personal, but I believe a lot of the Universities are objecting to additional ones being created regardless of who it is. We are in the Program for Government - a first for us - and commitments have been given to get a Technological University which is being established. No other government has gone this far in regards to WIT moving forward.

I have know idea if there was interference of any sort, nor am I suggesting that there was, however it is seriously silly to suggest that Irish politicans do not interfer in areas that fall outside their remit; and there is a long standing tradition of interference when it comes to radio licences. All radio licences are regulated , further there are always objections new radio licences when they may encroach on advertising revenue. It was a multi city licence, one of a kind and Limerick, Galway Cork and Dublin aren't the only Cities in Ireland, why was Waterford left out ? Either way it is an example of a service we don't have that is provided specifically for cities.

There is a programme for government however there is a long tradition of counties who are not represented by either; a Minister, an in favour politican or needed independant, being at best neglected, I would suggest that in relation to Springboard course offered at WIT this is the case. I do understand that it is highly unlikely that WIT will under the current economic climate, acheive Uni status.

The airport is receiving subvention along with all the other regional airports. The Minister has family connections, is there an implied suggestion in this remark perhaps?? May be I am just silly? Seriously!

As I pointed out, along with other elements, the lack of ancillary services, services that some people may suggest or not realise the importance off, means Waterford is being left behind.

I may be wrong but I get the feeling you may be an FG or Labour supporter, as you seem to deviating from the point I am making. While money is being allocated for infrastructure and I fully realise that the present government are not responsible for the mess this county is in, it has to be said, people living in Waterford, and the county itself, are suffering disproportionately and there must be a reason for it. People of all political persuasions should not be blind to this, and thats despite of the money being invested by the government.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7upfree wrote: »
    This is obviously gone by the wayside then. Ah, the joys of being in opposition.

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/fine-gaels-university-pledge/

"He promised that Fine Gael would campaign vigorously on the issue in opposition and if unsuccessful would deliver on its commitment if returned to power at the next election. Meanwhile – again in the absence of their desired response from the current government – it would be made a prime issue in the local and European elections next year".

Or you could wait until the term ends before throwing a hissy fit. They are not in power even two years and during the time in office so far they have done more than any other government has done for WIT. They are, so far, sticking to the pledge. They did not say that it would be done overnight, they said;
    would deliver on its commitment if returned to power at the next election

In the early new year we should see further progress in this regard. Everybody involved has been well briefed as to what has been done and what is being done. A lot has been done since they got into power and a lot more needs to be done before its good to go.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I have know idea if there was interference of any sort, nor am I suggesting that there was, however it is seriously silly to suggest that Irish politicans do not interfer in areas that fall outside their remit; and there is a long standing tradition of interference when it comes to radio licences. All radio licences are regulated , further there are always objections new radio licences when they may encroach on advertising revenue. It was a multi city licence, one of a kind and Limerick, Galway Cork and Dublin aren't the only Cities in Ireland, why was Waterford left out ? Either way it is an example of a service we don't have that is provided specifically for cities.

I'm not going to get into detail as to 'why' they didn't broadcast in Waterford because I have absolutely no idea whether the information I was given was valid or not. But there was no political interference of any sort in this case. Phil Hogan didn't step in and say "Ah now lads, feck awf. Kilkenny aint a city so we wont get it and ya can feck right awf if ya think those Deise eejits are gonna get it!!".
    There is a programme for government however there is a long tradition of counties who are not represented by either; a Minister, an in favour politican or needed independant, being at best neglected, I would suggest that in relation to Springboard course offered at WIT this is the case. I do understand that it is highly unlikely that WIT will under the current economic climate, acheive Uni status.

Not sure what your point is. A commitment was made, it was then inserted into the programme for government, it was then decided that there would be a new type of University developed and established within this government lifetime, the Higher Education Authority (HEA) agreed new rules governing the establishment of a TU and we should now see some movement soon on the application process.

Sadly, as David Cullinane stated before, the politics within universities goes back a long time in Ireland which makes it a challenge to make changes and this needs to be sorted. There is serious objection to change, nothing directly aimed at Waterford or the South East but for any location.
    The airport is receiving subvention along with all the other regional airports. The Minister has family connections, is there an implied suggestion in this remark perhaps?? May be I am just silly? Seriously!

Incorrect. Galway is basically closed because in June, the government decided it would stop funding them by December. Likewise, funding is to be withdrawn for Sligo Airport also next year. There is to be no additional operating or capital funding for Galway or Sligo airports from 2012, so both must find new ways of meeting operational costs. The Minister stated this was done to 'consolidate the strengths of Donegal, Knock, Kerry and Waterford.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

I was always of the understanding that 4fm was objected to locally by competing stations in the city/region. I think its seriously getting silly if your suggesting government interference.

This current government has given significant investment towards Waterford. No doubt there has been a level of neglect and chipping away of services over the years.

- Court House expansion for at least two court rooms with a possibility of four court rooms.
    - Possibility that a new fire station will be built in Waterford, allowing for a full expansion, as above, of the court house and not just part. Work is ongoing.
    - 8m Flood Relief,
    - Funding towards WRH; A&E with e Trauma Centre, relocation allowing for development of 5 isolation children cystic fibrosis rooms,

We have received continued funding for our airport despite other airports, including Galway, having their funding withdrawn by the government. But the Minister for Transport, who has family connections to Waterford, has stated that airports need to work on helping themselves as there isn't a huge amount of funding that can be made available to smaller airports.

In regards to University - nothing personal, but I believe a lot of the Universities are objecting to additional ones being created regardless of who it is. We are in the Program for Government - a first for us - and commitments have been given to get a Technological University which is being established. No other government has gone this far in regards to WIT moving forward.

1. Carriganore campus didn't get a cent from the government they had to borrow under the subsidary of Campus Services- are fine gael now saying they provided the funding?

2. That would mean we do not have adequate court services - the funding is there -
    also having the fire service gridlocked in Waterford isn't helping anyone - the new site is a much better choice in a life or death situation
    3. the 8 million fund is part of a nationwide annual 45 million available and were direly needed - this is performing a necessity - why would anyone pay a cent in taxes if this wasn't provided - the bare minimum
    4. 2 million for the viking triangle is a joke compared to the kilkenny fund of 15 million for the medieval mile - considering they have relatively very few historical of any relevance - the only place in the country that deserves 15 million is Athassel Abbey or Tara
    5. The waterworks were again desperately needed and completely under what is required - besides aren't we going to be paying for that in water charges soon enough (Phil Hogan approving this doesn't make me change my mind of him)
    6. They put in some funding to WRH but at the same time closed ward around the city and it wouldn't surprise me if the cuts to he regional are pushed through and if they aren't the only reason would be the march
    7. Why was 400,000 given to splashworld anyhow? I honestyly couldn't care less- compared to the amount of taxes Waterford people pay its a bit of a joke - i'd prefeer an improvement in some services tbh
    8. What cycle shemes when are they due and what is the funding - has it been approved and won't be built
    ---
    To be honest the points you've made are a rarity in comparison to the cuts - and no they haven't been put in across the country - Waterford is being stripped of everything- how you continue to support the current government is beyond me - I understand that your a fine gael supporter - whatever fine gael stand for I don't know but surely it isn't this - all that has been emanating from this Government is colloquial politics and looking after the constituency its both fine gael and labour its not one or the other - none of the promises have been followed and blocking Waterford's progress in the courts is impeding the progress of the city? Why do you continue to support a Government that has been a disaster for Waterford and not other counties. That might be a rant but is only a fraction of how I feel about this Government and I'm definitely not the only one who observes Waterford's stripping of services that our taxes are more than adequate to pay for

This is obviously gone by the wayside then. Ah, the joys of being in opposition.

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/fine-gaels-university-pledge/

"He promised that Fine Gael would campaign vigorously on the issue in opposition and if unsuccessful would deliver on its commitment if returned to power at the next election. Meanwhile – again in the absence of their desired response from the current government – it would be made a prime issue in the local and European elections next year".

It'll be a nice think to talk to about to the usual dopes who go pamplething etc. etc.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to get into detail as to 'why' they didn't broadcast in Waterford because I have absolutely no idea whether the information I was given was valid or not. But there was no political interference of any sort in this case. Phil Hogan didn't step in and say "Ah now lads, feck awf. Kilkenny aint a city so we wont get it and ya can feck right awf if ya think those Deise eejits are gonna get it!!".

Not sure what your point is. A commitment was made, it was then inserted into the programme for government, it was then decided that there would be a new type of University developed and established within this government lifetime, the Higher Education Authority (HEA) agreed new rules governing the establishment of a TU and we should now see some movement soon on the application process.

Sadly, as David Cullinane stated before, the politics within universities goes back a long time in Ireland which makes it a challenge to make changes and this needs to be sorted. There is serious objection to change, nothing directly aimed at Waterford or the South East but for any location.

Incorrect. Galway is basically closed because in June, the government decided it would stop funding them by December. Likewise, funding is to be withdrawn for Sligo Airport also next year. There is to be no additional operating or capital funding for Galway or Sligo airports from 2012, so both must find new ways of meeting operational costs. The Minister stated this was done to 'consolidate the strengths of Donegal, Knock, Kerry and Waterford.'

As I said, in the current climate I wouldn't expect WIT to achieve Uni status.

I don't know what Phil Hogan has to do with the price of fish, 4fm first came on air in Feb 2007. I do know that neither you or anyone else can state with any credible degree certainty, whether or not party politics influenced decision making. I doubt it was it did.

I have it on very good authority that the runway is to be extended, and a new airline will be taking over the British routes thanfully. Can't wait for the jets.

But you deviate from the point again, the lack or loss of ancillary services is a big problem here.

MOC88 wrote: »
    1. Carriganore campus didn't get a cent from the government they had to borrow under the subsidary of Campus Services- are fine gael now saying they provided the funding?

2. That would mean we do not have adequate court services - the funding is there -
    also having the fire service gridlocked in Waterford isn't helping anyone - the new site is a much better choice in a life or death situation
    3. the 8 million fund is part of a nationwide annual 45 million available and were direly needed - this is performing a necessity - why would anyone pay a cent in taxes if this wasn't provided - the bare minimum
    4. 2 million for the viking triangle is a joke compared to the kilkenny fund of 15 million for the medieval mile - considering they have relatively very few historical of any relevance - the only place in the country that deserves 15 million is Athassel Abbey or Tara
    5. The waterworks were again desperately needed and completely under what is required - besides aren't we going to be paying for that in water charges soon enough (Phil Hogan approving this doesn't make me change my mind of him)
    6. They put in some funding to WRH but at the same time closed ward around the city and it wouldn't surprise me if the cuts to he regional are pushed through and if they aren't the only reason would be the march
    7. Why was 400,000 given to splashworld anyhow? I honestyly couldn't care less- compared to the amount of taxes Waterford people pay its a bit of a joke - i'd prefeer an improvement in some services tbh
    8. What cycle shemes when are they due and what is the funding - has it been approved and won't be built
    ---
    To be honest the points you've made are a rarity in comparison to the cuts - and no they haven't been put in across the country - Waterford is being stripped of everything- how you continue to support the current government is beyond me - I understand that your a fine gael supporter - whatever fine gael stand for I don't know but surely it isn't this - all that has been emanating from this Government is colloquial politics and looking after the constituency its both fine gael and labour its not one or the other - none of the promises have been followed and blocking Waterford's progress in the courts is impeding the progress of the city? Why do you continue to support a Government that has been a disaster for Waterford and not other counties. That might be a rant but is only a fraction of how I feel about this Government and I'm definitely not the only one who observes Waterford's stripping of services that our taxes are more than adequate to pay for

1) I know some of it was developed by Campus Services Ltd. but I could have sworn, like other campuses in WIT, they got state funding. I am open to correction though. :)

2) The funding is there to expand the court services by four rooms on the assumption we get to move the fire service and two rooms if not. The fire service issue will be dealt with by Phil Hogan, as its his department that allocates the funding and there is an issue with it not being available (it was put on the shelf by the previous government for the same reasons). I would hope that will go in our favour.

3) We have received funding before for flood relief in Waterford. This is the final phase. The construction cost of this phase is almost €9m with an investment of close to €10m to complete the overall scheme. Previous phases of the flood defence scheme involved the main quays secured from flooding with a kilometer-long glass flood wall along the River Suir.

4) Again, we have received considerable funding in the past for our Viking Triangle. This is the latest slot of funding towards this part of Waterford. IIRC, roughly €10m allocated towards this already.

5) Indeed but its funding nonetheless. Just put it in there to show that evil big Phil doesn't pass the buck when it comes to Waterford and decide to screw us.

6) Funding nonetheless. St Lukes is being given a slice of funding towards their A&E, which is one of the busiest in the country, and like when he got funding for his own 'viking triangle' people were furious that Kilkenny got any funding at all. It appears some in Waterford would prefer Kilkenny got nothing and Waterford took it all. Waterford has received more than Kilkenny.

7) It was a grant basically. Splashworld were looking for the funds to help reduce their costs by improving the energy efficiency of the building and they also wanted to improve disabled access to the pool. Its a very popular pool for tourists and locals alike so the funding is to be welcomed to help it improved.

8) Provision of a 3.2km mainly off road route which will connect directly to the Waterford County Council route to Tramore. Tramore to Waterford - provision of a 6.4km on road route along the regional road, linking directly to the proposed Waterford City route, resulting in a 10km route from Tramore to Waterford City. (Though, I think this was a waste of money). I believe there may have been funding for Dungarvan cycle routes and there was previous funding under Fianna Fail for the Green Route around Waterford.

Anyway, as a Fine Gael supporter I will repeat what I have said before: I don't put my City before Politics. I have repeatedly stated that there are times I support the party and there are times I go against the party. I think my various public comments on different issues backs this up, but people will only pick on the bits of me backing the party and not the ones where I go against the party.

Yes, I believe that successive governments have chipped away at Waterford. Yes, I see there is concern with the VEC merger to Wexford and the City & County councils being merged. The later, I feel will benefit Waterford. The former, I really have no idea what difference it will make but that's my ignorance. In terms of WRH, I am against any potential downgrading or removal of services from WIT. I am aware that other hospitals may not wish to be part of WRH and move to Dublin (Kilkenny have voted this way) but that's their choice, is it not?
    As I said, in the current climate I wouldn't expect WIT to achieve Uni status.

Personally, I would be very annoyed if this was the case. They made a commitment and I expect them to stick by it.
    I don't know what Phil Hogan has to do with the price of fish, 4fm first came on air in Feb 2007. I do know that neither you or anyone else can state with any credible degree certainty, whether or not party politics influenced decision making. I doubt it was it did.

Just making a joke as its what some folk think.
    I have it on very good authority that the runway is to be extended, and a new airline will be taking over the British routes thanfully. Can't wait for the jets.

But you deviate from the point again, the lack or loss of ancillary services is a big problem here.

News to me, but again, your authority would be stronger than mine because I only know of what local activists are telling me (not politicians). I was aware t hat a rumour was afloat that routes were being taken over but, even today, there was a statement to say while the site for the expansion of the runway is being bought by the council there is no intention to extend it at this time. But, that could be done for various reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

when is the court moving to kilkenny??
    who announced this move?
    what are the plans for waterford courthouse when this move takes place?

is there any mention of any of this in the story? NO??? REALLY??? YOU MEAN ITS JUST BULL****!!! WELL, I NEVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Anyway, as a Fine Gael supporter I will repeat what I have said before: I don't put my City before Politics. I have repeatedly stated that there are times I support the party and there are times I go against the party. I think my various public comments on different issues backs this up, but people will only pick on the bits of me backing the party and not the ones where I go against the party.

Don't worry about it, not many associated to political parties do! ;)

Re the topic in question, while there might be nothing concrete announced yet, it's no harm to get out in front of this and every other issue that might have an influence on Waterford. Let the national politicians know that the people of Waterford are watching.

I honestly believe that Waterford (and the S.E. region) are seen as a soft touch on a national political scale and thats why its one of the worst affected regions, No harm if they know that thousands of people are ready to march/question for any issue that affects their home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Or you could wait until the term ends before throwing a hissy fit. They are not in power even two years and during the time in office so far they have done more than any other government has done for WIT. They are, so far, sticking to the pledge. They did not say that it would be done overnight, they said;.

Hissy fit. Hmm. Interesting terminology. I would call it grave concern for the future of this City. Again defending a political party and distorting the facts. Any bets on them annoucing it before the next election? When they know it will be impossible to push through? And then blame the new mob for it. Sound familiar?
    In the early new year we should see further progress in this regard. Everybody involved has been well briefed as to what has been done and what is being done. A lot has been done since they got into power and a lot more needs to be done before its good to go.

A lot has been done?

* Downgrading of the City.

* Downgrading of WRH.

* VEC moved to Wexford.

* Jobs for the boys and girls still ongoing.

From parties that claimed they were whiter than white before being elected.

Yep. A lot done alright.

Polictics is like looking at a magic show. The art of deception in practice. Some gullible people swallow it hook, line, and sinker. Then others see it for what it is - a complete fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

This thread seems to have gone away from the topic which is the Courthouse.

Anyway to clear a few things up. Currently some sittings of Waterford Courts are being held in Kilkenny. These are High court cases that are held there because the Waterford building doesnt have the facilities. We dont get a lot of high court cases but the few we do are being held in Kilkenny. This inconveniences those attending and also represents a loss to local economy. A high court case could last weeks and could see various people staying in local hotels such as barristors and professional witnesses etc. All the other court proceedings ( district and circuit ) will continue as normal in Waterford.

There is €15M in place to extend the courthouse into the grounds of the current fire station. In relation to the fire station their current building is inadequate and money was agreed in 2004 to build a new station. The land is owned by the OPW and they have agreed to give it over to the courthouse expansion.

WCC has already given a greenfield site near Ballybeg to the Fire Service. Speaking to one of the guys they would prefer to be out of the city and feel that they would acheive better reponse times in such a location.

Now where it all falls down is that the Dept of Environment have withdrawn their funding so we dont get new fire station and they court extension doesnt go ahead as planned.

* Downgrading of the City.

In your opinion. Many are in favour and remember it was a report compiled by some Waterford people that were recommending this. The councils as they were, simply put, failed.
    * Downgrading of WRH.

News to me. To the best of my knowledge, WRH has not been downgraded.
    * VEC moved to Wexford.

Finally a fact. Not sure the impact on Waterford, but a fact nonetheless.
    * Jobs for the boys and girls still ongoing.

This has what to do with Waterford?
    From parties that claimed they were whiter than white before being elected.

Completely agree. Never suggested otherwise.
    Polictics is like looking at a magic show. The art of deception in practice. Some gullible people swallow it hook, line, and sinker. Then others see it for what it is - a complete fraud.

Sure. So what, we abandon politics and... then what? If you want, ill throw you a few countries that have no democratic process and its a free for all. Those countries would love to have what we have. Maybe you should move over there for a few years, get involved in their version of politics and see how long you last?

Anyway, we have, again, completely went off topic and if you want to talk about this governments record in Waterford than create a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

Lads we have three threads ongoing that are basically the same political row, its getting ridiculous.

In your opinion. Many are in favour and remember it was a report compiled by some Waterford people that were recommending this. The councils as they were, simply put, failed.

Councils. Plural. And it was recommended that ALL City and County Councils be merged. You yourself identified this. Or have you forgotten already? And it's not just my opinion. A large amount of people feel the same.
    News to me. To the best of my knowledge, WRH has not been downgraded..
    OK - seeing as you're being pedantic; this ATTEMPTED downgrade/attack/pencil in as necessary.
    Sure. So what, we abandon politics and... then what? If you want, ill throw you a few countries that have no democratic process and its a free for all. Those countries would love to have what we have. Maybe you should move over there for a few years, get involved in their version of politics and see how long you last?

No - what we want for once is honest politics with a reaonable number of TDs being paid a reasonable wage. Not much to ask, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

jad2007 wrote: »
    This thread seems to have gone away from the topic which is the Courthouse.

Anyway to clear a few things up. Currently some sittings of Waterford Courts are being held in Kilkenny. These are High court cases that are held there because the Waterford building doesnt have the facilities. We dont get a lot of high court cases but the few we do are being held in Kilkenny.

Has the High Court ever sat in Waterford? what are the extra facilities needed in a High Court case as opposed to a District/Circuit court case?

jad2007 wrote: »
    Lads we have three threads ongoing that are basically the same political row, its getting ridiculous.

So let's stifle it then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Has the High Court ever sat in Waterford? what are the extra facilities needed in a High Court case as opposed to a District/Circuit court case?

Yes, the High Court Judges travel around Ireland during the year to sit at provincial venues, Waterford being one of them, to prevent the need for all High Court actions being heard in Dublin. There are no extra facilities needed as such but obviously certain facilities are desired by High Court Judges as opposed to a District Court Judge in a small town.

The High Court used to sit in Waterford twice a year and Kilkenny once a year. The High Court now sits in Kilkenny twice a year and Waterford once a year. One of the reasons given for this is because Kilkenny Courthouse has been renovated and there is, for example, more consultation rooms, a larger bar room and larger chambers for the High Court judges.

1) I know some of it was developed by Campus Services Ltd. but I could have sworn, like other campuses in WIT, they got state funding. I am open to correction though. :)

2) The funding is there to expand the court services by four rooms on the assumption we get to move the fire service and two rooms if not. The fire service issue will be dealt with by Phil Hogan, as its his department that allocates the funding and there is an issue with it not being available (it was put on the shelf by the previous government for the same reasons). I would hope that will go in our favour.

3) We have received funding before for flood relief in Waterford. This is the final phase. The construction cost of this phase is almost €9m with an investment of close to €10m to complete the overall scheme. Previous phases of the flood defence scheme involved the main quays secured from flooding with a kilometer-long glass flood wall along the River Suir.

4) Again, we have received considerable funding in the past for our Viking Triangle. This is the latest slot of funding towards this part of Waterford. IIRC, roughly €10m allocated towards this already.

5) Indeed but its funding nonetheless. Just put it in there to show that evil big Phil doesn't pass the buck when it comes to Waterford and decide to screw us.

6) Funding nonetheless. St Lukes is being given a slice of funding towards their A&E, which is one of the busiest in the country, and like when he got funding for his own 'viking triangle' people were furious that Kilkenny got any funding at all. It appears some in Waterford would prefer Kilkenny got nothing and Waterford took it all. Waterford has received more than Kilkenny.

7) It was a grant basically. Splashworld were looking for the funds to help reduce their costs by improving the energy efficiency of the building and they also wanted to improve disabled access to the pool. Its a very popular pool for tourists and locals alike so the funding is to be welcomed to help it improved.

8) Provision of a 3.2km mainly off road route which will connect directly to the Waterford County Council route to Tramore. Tramore to Waterford - provision of a 6.4km on road route along the regional road, linking directly to the proposed Waterford City route, resulting in a 10km route from Tramore to Waterford City. (Though, I think this was a waste of money). I believe there may have been funding for Dungarvan cycle routes and there was previous funding under Fianna Fail for the Green Route around Waterford.

Yes, I believe that successive governments have chipped away at Waterford. Yes, I see there is concern with the VEC merger to Wexford and the City & County councils being merged. The later, I feel will benefit Waterford. The former, I really have no idea what difference it will make but that's my ignorance. In terms of WRH, I am against any potential downgrading or removal of services from WIT. I am aware that other hospitals may not wish to be part of WRH and move to Dublin (Kilkenny have voted this way) but that's their choice, is it not?

The most that the government provided was part funding for buying the land and even that would have been probably linked to tssg if anything was given at all. They definitely didn't provide for the construction, landscaping, etc. etc. There was a promise of funding but this got thrown to the wayside. This has been causing problems financially combined with funding cuts. - this is 100% factual. I'm not sure where your getting your info. or whether it is an assumption.

SO what your saying is your happy with very basic and below what is required structural developments, a cycle track, increased funding for a tiny bit of wrh while wards are being closed around the city and the net beds in waterford is moved (and beds have been moved to cork not the proposed development in dungarvan that was also slashed). A once off fund for historical sites for the oldest maritime city in Ireland. Actually happy for Kilkenny - unlikely as it may seem I know a lot of people from Kilkenny, my issue is that the triangle is being portrayed as a fantastic investment. We won't be getting it again and if that kind of funding is available for a historical void why aren't we being assigned the proportion relative to the historical features that we have - only Derry and us have intact parts of city walls for example

What hospitals? Could have sworn Tipp and Wexford 100% didn't want to. As far as the Kilkenny goes I don't know what way they were tiltinwg but the millions in funding allocated to them a month ago from the HSE hardly pushed them towards Waterford.

My big issue is that they are taking our taxes and only reinvesting a fraction of what we've given them. We're the worst employment blackspot in the country and we get practically no investment to help the area

- 8m Flood Relief,

Two words: anti-competitive. On the radio and university fronts. I thought we were living in a free economy?

Who exactly were these radio stations that objected?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Lads the whole thing about 4FM not including Waterford is a bit bogus to be honest. I think it has more to do with Beat and WLR having the legal right to broadcast on these frequencies in this area so that is why! 4FM iirc is broadcast locally from the cities and not nationally. Also iirc FM104 could be received in Waterford at first but was then blocked by a pirate radio station broadcasting locally.

• Advertisement

Lads the whole thing about 4FM not including Waterford is a bit bogus to be honest. I think it has more to do with Beat and WLR having the legal right to broadcast on these frequencies in this area so that is why! 4FM iirc is broadcast locally from the cities and not nationally. Also iirc FM104 could be received in Waterford at first but was then blocked by a pirate radio station broadcasting locally.

Don't think so Fuzzy. FM104 never broadcast here.

Sorry to go off topic again - but I have to

Come on be honest, you don't really know what your talking about on this one now.

Neither Beat or WLR broadcast on 104 fm ??

4fm is a multi city licence, it would be a complete waste of money to setup a system that would allow them to broadcast nationally and they weren't granted a national licence anyway, so they'd be in deep sh1t if they did. Transmitters, aerials, etc are costly - you'd never buy ones you don't need ??

Dublin Cork Galway and Limerick have at the very least regional competitors

Comreg could track a pirate in a heartbeat if push came to shove, as would anyone who can follow signal strenght!!

Sorry to go off topic again - but I have to

Come on be honest, you don't really know what your talking about on this one now.

Neither Beat or WLR broadcast on 104 fm ??

4fm is a multi city licence, it would be a complete waste of money to setup a system that would allow them to broadcast nationally and they weren't granted a national licence anyway, so they'd be in deep sh1t if they did. Transmitters, aerials, etc are costly - you'd never buy ones you don't need ??

Dublin Cork Galway and Limerick have at the very least regional competitors

Comreg could track a pirate in a heartbeat if push came to shove, as would anyone who can follow signal strenght!!

Ok it took me about 10 seconds to get the broadcasting frequencies of Beat and WLR and they are the reason we can't get 4FM. The frequencies 4FM use are too close to either WLR or Beat who have the licence here for those frequencies. So these frequencies are obviously designated for local radio. Yes the other city have regional competitors but one or the other bandwidths are available.They are not in Waterford. So yes I do know what I am talking about. I also never said 4FM were broadcasting nationally. I said they were locally broadcast. As for comreg. They have nothing to do with radio so I don;t know why you brought them up at all.Its the broadcasting authority that regulates radio and before the legislation was changed in the 90s pirate radio operated all over the place including Waterford. And for a brief period around 96 a radio station could be received in Waterford called FM104 or at least styling itself FM104 until a someone started broadcasting on the frequency locally. The legislation was further tightened up in 2001 with Beat operating on the second frequency after this.

Ok it took me about 10 seconds to get the broadcasting frequencies of Beat and WLR and they are the reason we can't get 4FM. The frequencies 4FM use are too close to either WLR or Beat who have the licence here for those frequencies. So these frequencies are obviously designated for local radio. Yes the other city have regional competitors but one or the other bandwidths are available.They are not in Waterford. So yes I do know what I am talking about. I also never said 4FM were broadcasting nationally. I said they were locally broadcast. As for comreg. They have nothing to do with radio so I don;t know why you brought them up at all.Its the broadcasting authority that regulates radio and before the legislation was changed in the 90s pirate radio operated all over the place including Waterford. And for a brief period around 96 a radio station could be received in Waterford called FM104 or at least styling itself FM104 until a someone started broadcasting on the frequency locally. The legislation was further tightened up in 2001 with Beat operating on the second frequency after this.

There was a book launch of Waterford pirate radio in the 80's in Dooleys last night - Radio Blaa - you should have a read.

Pirate radio stations in the main closed in December 1988.

A single multi city licence, specifically excluding one city Waterford, is operating in Ireland and you don't appear to see the implications.

You are clueless or someone is leading you up the garden path

A station that doesn't have a national licence can't and wouldn't broadcast nationally.

104 is not allocated for Waterford but that wouldn't stop the BAI

Beat came on air in 2003, licence application at the end of Jan 2002.
    FM 104 is a Dublin radio station - it wouldn't be allocated a frequency in Waterford.

Highest frequency Beat or WLR are allocated is 103.1.
    4fm broadcast on many frequencies which range from 94.9FM in Dublin, 94.8FM in Cork, 94.6 - 97.4 Mhz, 104.2 - 104.9 MHz and UPC

ComReg have nothing to do with radio - clueless. BAI grant licences; ComReg allocate the frequencies. ComReg is responsible for the enforcement of laws & regulations regarding unlicensed broadcasting stations (“pirate” radio stations). If pirates are a problem its ComReg, not the BAI who have the responsiblity of shutting them down, if they can be bothered or someone complains enough.

Maybe you could google ComReg and the BAI

Take this conversation to PM please. We have far to many threads online lately going completely off topic. Thanks.

Sorry again to the OP for going off topic

Sorry again to the OP for going off topic

Oh dear sparkling sea must be spoiling for a pissing competition. Are you sore about something because twice you've accuses me of saying something I have never said? Why don't you start another thread and I will debate it with you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Next person to drag this forum off-topic will get receive a ban.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Galways problem was they were depending on the PSO to much. 1 in every 10 seats on Aer Arann Services to LTN, MAN and EDI were empty. When the PSO ended GWY still got operational funding but at the end of the day PSO was keeping Aer Aranns servics in profit and when they got into trouble they had close GWY routes as they were unsuistanable and then operational funding was stopped as no carriers were operating from the airport. WAT never had such PSO funding and it only gets operational funding but there may be some good news for WAT airport soon, however it could all come to an end before it starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

they had close GWY routes as they were unsuistanable and then operational funding was stopped as no carriers were operating from the airport

I dont think thats entirely accurate. The Operational funding was stopped prior to AerArann withdrawing services not because of it. This was done based on the recommendations from the "Value for money Report" commissioned by the government a couple of years ago. In fact if i recall correctly, following the cut in funding Aer Arann still offered to base one AT42 in Gwy but the airport could not financially support a full days operations within its own means which lead to the complete withdrawal. Regardless of what routes/airlines Gwy had the opex was being pulled.

Advertisement