Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

V50 Smoke in the A/C

Options
  • 20-11-2012 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

My 08 V50 1.6D has recently had a new DPF fitted. There has since been awful strong smoke fumes coming in through the air vents, so much so that you have to drive with the windows open and the ventilation off. It transpires that there is smoke leaking from somewhere near the turbo (which is visible under the bonnet when the engine is revved). Anyone had this issue? The Volvo garage say that it may need a new one, but as I've just parted with a sizeable amount for the DPF I'm doing a little homework on this one.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Possible leaking oil onto exhaust, Get it looked at as soon as possible. May just be a loose pipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

This is a known issue with the DV6 engine in some cars when the DPF is dropped off the bottom of the turbo. The clamp bracket that keeps the two together goes out of shape once slackened. Chances are that the original one was reused.

Remove the hood from the engine, start it, and get someone to give the engine some moderate revs. Watch for leaking exhaust at the clamp. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

As above, if the original clamp and/or gasket where reused then there will almost certainly be a leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 claretnblue

Cheers for the advice.

The report from the garage says: "reassembled with new gasket, clamp and bolt. Found unusual noise from EGR but working fine. Also exhaust fumes leaking from turbo wastegate."

Does this shed any more light on it?

"Also exhaust fumes leaking from turbo wastegate"

Is this a quote from the garage report after replacing the DPF?

• Advertisement

Yes it is...

Well that would be the first port of call when looking for a smell of fumes, I would be a little angry if I saw this and they did not repair it. Also if the smell wasn't present before the repair it stands to reason they may have caused the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Cheers for the advice.

The report from the garage says: "reassembled with new gasket, clamp and bolt. Found unusual noise from EGR but working fine. Also exhaust fumes leaking from turbo wastegate."

Does this shed any more light on it?

They use an internally wastegated turbo so exhaust gasses can't leak externally from the wastegate. They can only leak from the manifold to turbo gasket or the turbo to DPF gasket.

Well that would be the first port of call when looking for a smell of fumes, I would be a little angry if I saw this and they did not repair it. Also if the smell wasn't present before the repair it stands to reason they may have caused the issue.

I did make the point that the fumes had started after the DPF replacement, but the guy went out to show me that the smoke had been leaking for a long time. I'm not knowledgeable enough about cars so I had nothing to say except "it started after the DFP was fitted"

This is a main big dealership/garage. I feel like I'm over a barrel.

Thanks for your help.

They use an internally wastegated turbo so exhaust gasses can't leak externally from the wastegate. They can only leak from the manifold to turbo gasket or the turbo to DPF gasket.

They did replace some gasket- he said it was something to do with the EGR, and the report said it had cleaned it up. If you pop the bonnet though and give it a moderate rev, you can literally see puffs of smoke emanate from somewhere; I can't really tell where.

• Advertisement
Advertisement