Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin street Library

Options
  • 20-11-2012 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

Do you have to be a student of DIT to use the Kevin Street library?

Just for study, I don't need to take a book out or use the internet, although it would be handy if I could access the internet from my own laptop, but i'm assuming this is not possible, as I am not a DIT student

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

To use a DIT library you normally have to be a DIT staff or student.

In special cases, eg if you need to read stuff that is not otherwise available, you can ask the library staff to allow you temporary admission.

For this, you would certainly need to be able to show Photo ID. Also, the libraries are very busy at the moment so you might be asked to come during a quiet period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

To use a DIT library you normally have to be a DIT staff or student.

In special cases, eg if you need to read stuff that is not otherwise available, you can ask the library staff to allow you temporary admission.

For this, you would certainly need to be able to show Photo ID. Also, the libraries are very busy at the moment so you might be asked to come during a quiet period.

Thanks for the quick response, so basically you need to present a student ID card just to enter the library?

I'm just looking for somewhere around the Kevin street area to study for a few hours during the day, can anyone recommend anywhere?

There is a public (Dublin City Council) library also on Kevin St.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

You can (but officially can't) use the D.I.T. library as a non-student. There is no one checking ID at the door, however you won't be able to use photocopying facilities with out a student card. You will also need a D.I.T. username and password to access the WiFi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

Thanks for the help guys, I didn't even know there was a public library there, guess i'll have to stop walking around with my eyes closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

You can (but officially can't) use the D.I.T. library as a non-student. There is no one checking ID at the door, however you won't be able to use photocopying facilities with out a student card. You will also need a D.I.T. username and password to access the WiFi.

Sorry for the old bump, but can anyone confirm if it's still the case that Kevin Street library don't check ID? I'd like to pop in and study for a bit.

Cheers,
    (Former student)

The library regularly asks for ID, especially from unfamiliar users. There are not many readers in Summer, so this is more likely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

The library regularly asks for ID, especially from unfamiliar users. There are not many readers in Summer, so this is more likely now.

Cheers,
    I'll chance it... If I fail I'll hit a coffee shop as an alternative..

Advertisement