Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house 2013!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Not sure where I picked it up now that you ask, read/heard it somewhere

It roughly works out to an 8% annual return.

The price of the property by 8%, divided by 12 months, which is a multiplier of 150. I'm guessing 160 is a better figure to go off, but I hadn't heard that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Whilst the 8 %return is a good guideline. It's not hardfast. There will always be areas that people will pay a premium above this for, certainly in parts of our cities. I really can't see repossessions, such that they will be having a downward pressure on areas that are in very high demand. There is simply too much demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Quick one, myself and wife are looking at a house in the clane area.

Its currently on the market for 240k, at a very big estimate and from speaking to the EA the house isnt worth more than 200k (his words not mine) as it needs new windows, doors, kitchen, bathrooms, etc.. but this work is something that we wouldnt mind doing. I have a friend who owns a building company and putting all costs through him.

I earn 65k (only started new job this week, so know we'll have to wait 6 months before applying), no loans (credit card will be cleared by sept/oct). Wife is going to stay at home with baby so no child care costs. By the time of purchase we hope to have 50/55k in savings, this will be made up of approx 45k as my wife inheritance, our current savings of 5k and the 1200/1300k that will save each month until then. With baby and wedding last year, its only with this new job that we can save that much. Not paying rent at the moment, but have been regularly saving into credit union approx 300 a month for past number of years but this has been eaten into a good bit over the past 12 months, hence the ramp up now.

Understand that over the next 6 months we have to live like frugal kings but I was wondering is there anything else we need to be doing?

In relation to the mortgage, we dont want to go over 200k as I mentioned, the house needs a good bit of work to it and its been on the market for over a year at that price (3 owners from an estate) with no concrete offers. I am thinking an offer in around 170k would be a good starting point and see where that goes. I was wondering would the banks that into considering the work that has to be done on the house and give more for these updates? I am mainly concerned with the windows as these are single glazed, wooden ones and they will probably be the most expensive renovation that needs to be done. What I was thinking would it be possible to get a quote for these and if the cost of the house and the windows still come below 90/92% of bank's valuation, would the bank accept this as we will also be spending the guts of 30k on other updates to the house such as the kitchen and bathrooms?

Sorry if I havent explained this situation well!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

joe316 wrote: »
    Quick one, myself and wife are looking at a house in the clane area.

Its currently on the market for 240k, at a very big estimate and from speaking to the EA the house isnt worth more than 200k (his words not mine) as it needs new windows, doors, kitchen, bathrooms, etc.. but this work is something that we wouldnt mind doing. I have a friend who owns a building company and putting all costs through him.

I earn 65k (only started new job this week, so know we'll have to wait 6 months before applying), no loans (credit card will be cleared by sept/oct). Wife is going to stay at home with baby so no child care costs. By the time of purchase we hope to have 50/55k in savings, this will be made up of approx 45k as my wife inheritance, our current savings of 5k and the 1200/1300k that will save each month until then. With baby and wedding last year, its only with this new job that we can save that much. Not paying rent at the moment, but have been regularly saving into credit union approx 300 a month for past number of years but this has been eaten into a good bit over the past 12 months, hence the ramp up now.

Understand that over the next 6 months we have to live like frugal kings but I was wondering is there anything else we need to be doing?

In relation to the mortgage, we dont want to go over 200k as I mentioned, the house needs a good bit of work to it and its been on the market for over a year at that price (3 owners from an estate) with no concrete offers. I am thinking an offer in around 170k would be a good starting point and see where that goes. I was wondering would the banks that into considering the work that has to be done on the house and give more for these updates? I am mainly concerned with the windows as these are single glazed, wooden ones and they will probably be the most expensive renovation that needs to be done. What I was thinking would it be possible to get a quote for these and if the cost of the house and the windows still come below 90/92% of bank's valuation, would the bank accept this as we will also be spending the guts of 30k on other updates to the house such as the kitchen and bathrooms?

Sorry if I havent explained this situation well!! :)

What ages are you both?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

killers1 wrote: »
    What ages are you both?

30 and 26

• Advertisement

joe316 wrote: »
    30 and 26

Your salary will be sufficient to borrow that amount. If you get the house for €200k you are better off taking 92% finance from the bank meaning you'll only need to put €16k of your savings towards the initial purchase. This will free up some of your savings to put towards the works. When the property is being Valued for the intial purchase you outline the works you intend to carry out to the property. The valuer then determines the value on completion and it will be this figure which dictates whether you can borrow additional funds towards the works. The banks will generally take a view that the cost of works add 75% of the costs in value and will allow you borrow up to 92% of the value added. For example, purchase price is €200k. Bank lend €184k to allow you buy it and you pay €16k from savings. Works are going to cost €50k and Valuer indicates value on completion will be €240k. Bank will take the view that the €50k spent will only add €37,500 in value and will allow you to borrow 92% of the €37,500 ie. €28,125 to complete the works. Total borrowing is then €184 + €28,125 = €212,125 against a value of €240,000 so 88% loan to value and within policy. Your contribution will have been €16k to buy the house & €21,875 for the works (€50k costs less €28,125 additional mtg) so you will need savings of €37,875 which would be within your planned budget to complete the purchase and repairs. Main thing is what the valuer determines will be the Value on Completion of the proposed works as that determines what value (if any) will be added to the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Skipper12

So our bid was accepted and sale agreed. We are delighted with the house as it was the one that ticked all of the boxes that we had listed, location, orientation, size, condition, price etc. (Our dream home so to speak) Everything just seemed to fall into place for us so we are very very lucky.

As for Killers!!!! Well as soon as it was sale agreed Killers had surveyor, solicitor and bank all notified immediately. Survey completed within days of going sale agreed and Killers then called out to us to go through the life insurance and house insurance. Absolutely no delays whatsoever (actually moving too fast at times!!!!) Insurance companies responded to us next day folllowing up from Killers contacting them and now next step is signing the contracts next week.

All going to plan we move in at the end of the month!!!!EXCITING TIMES for sure:)

Big Thanks to Killers for work so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Skipper12 wrote: »
    So our bid was accepted and sale agreed. We are delighted with the house as it was the one that ticked all of the boxes that we had listed, location, orientation, size, condition, price etc. (Our dream home so to speak) Everything just seemed to fall into place for us so we are very very lucky.

As for Killers!!!! Well as soon as it was sale agreed Killers had surveyor, solicitor and bank all notified immediately. Survey completed within days of going sale agreed and Killers then called out to us to go through the life insurance and house insurance. Absolutely no delays whatsoever (actually moving too fast at times!!!!) Insurance companies responded to us next day folllowing up from Killers contacting them and now next step is signing the contracts next week.

All going to plan we move in at the end of the month!!!!EXCITING TIMES for sure:)

Big Thanks to Killers for work so far.

Congrats on going sale agreed...exciting times :) And I agree, Killers is great to work with...fingers crossed I'll be going sale agreed soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Went to see two houses today.

First viewing in North Dublin, quite busy. Second viewing, absolutely manic. EA smugly announced that they'd had an offer of asking in the first few minutes and they would be selling it for 'much much more' than the asking.

And, in something I've never seen before, one guy viewing it took the EA to task for setting the asking price too low! I think he was irritated that so many scrubbers had come along or something.

Things are definitely selling much faster now and for more than the asking. Dead cat bounce central (I hope :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭flintash

where the heck banks getting money from? :confused:
    Didnt we just entered recession again? :confused:
    must to be good damn reason for price rise!! :rolleyes:
    in Cork EA's again selling just a foundations, I mean people has bought a foundation, and will wait for the house to be build.
    Ah well, seems like I will be renting for a while. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

quad_red wrote: »
    Things are definitely selling much faster now and for more than the asking. Dead cat bounce central (I hope :o )
    With this banana republic you can rule nothing out or in. However, if this trend continues, keep your money in your pockets!
    Was interested in Galway City - but there's been nothing on offer at a reasonable pricepoint for the last while. Honestly can't see how people justify what they are paying for certain properties - and they're welcome to them. Bought almost at the top of the market once - not going to get burnt twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Ireland is unique!!! It is trying to prove wrong every single economy theory out there. Fair play to those lads overpaying for houses which are not even worth half of the asking. Though, hope I do not have to bail you out before I leave Ireland. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭qwertypop

People in certain areas ESP Dublin are thinking that were at the bottom of the barrel and that prices are going to rocket back up. There blowing there money on whatever they can get thus inflating the market without no real means for growth. Outside the pale the market is still down in the dumps and brilliant value can be got.

It's obvious that there is certainly two different property markets out there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Went to see two houses today.

First viewing in North Dublin, quite busy. Second viewing, absolutely manic. EA smugly announced that they'd had an offer of asking in the first few minutes and they would be selling it for 'much much more' than the asking.

And, in something I've never seen before, one guy viewing it took the EA to task for setting the asking price too low! I think he was irritated that so many scrubbers had come along or something.

Which houses were these? Just wondering what type of houses are getting that much interest for my own interest. PM me if you don't want to post. Thanks

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Which houses were these? Just wondering what type of houses are getting that much interest for my own interest. PM me if you don't want to post. Thanks

Grange Park Road Raheny
    House is in very poor condition. Allot of damp (would have suspicious about the roof), very run down. Would have to put serious money into it. On market for €325k. Easily there could be 75-100k to go into it. A good few people looking, some obviously really interested.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/36-grange-park-road-raheny-dublin-5/2299736

Conquer Hill Road (which I can no longer find on daft or myhome).

New house on an infill site, great finish with rear access gate. But small plot and garden very very overlooked. One guy had a go at EA for pricing it too low. Street definitely doesn't 'feel' like Clontarf and very poor parking.

(also, very offputting, the existing 'caretaker tenant' was sitting at the kitchen looking up religious videos on youtube.

Chelsea Hill Gardens

Asking was €290. Heard at the weekend that it went for €370 (although only the property price register will confirm whether that's true).

Shocking if it was. House was in very poor condition as well. Filthy, damp, cold. Obviously a probate sale - 'happy birthday nana' cards all over the sitting room and the old ladies dog still in the shed with dog food around the kitchen floor. One of the most depressing viewings I've ever been at :(

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/21-chelsea-gardens-clontarf-dublin-3/2358904

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Grange Park Road Raheny
    House is in very poor condition. Allot of damp (would have suspicious about the roof), very run down. Would have to put serious money into it. On market for €325k. Easily there could be 75-100k to go into it. A good few people looking, some obviously really interested.

Chelsea Hill Gardens

Asking was €290. Heard at the weekend that it went for €370 (although only the property price register will confirm whether that's true).

To be fair, you're looking at the middle to upper end of the market. With your budget of 300k+ up to 400k, not many have the kind of dosh you have to spend on a house like those :)
    quad_red wrote:
    Things are definitely selling much faster now and for more than the asking. Dead cat bounce central (I hope )

Well the Indo's propaganda does help produce naive panic buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

gurramok wrote: »
    To be fair, you're looking at the middle to upper end of the market. With your budget of 300k+ up to 400k, not many have the kind of dosh you have to spend on a house like those :)

There's more people in that market than houses in that market unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭HouseHunter13

very new to the house hunting thing...

started to try view four properties last week that I like the look of...

1. Email EA asking for viewing told me I couldn't view the house because it was under negotiation whatever that means (price drop 5 days ago)

2. Told house was sale agreed for much more than the asking price and to leave my number. Advertisement was renewed two days later and house is still for sale on website, is that the norm?

3. Went for viewing. House was at 22k more than the asking price (who bids up a house like this after two days) told on arrival. House was a dump, couple behind walked into the hall and walked back out. Is normal to have the family there while viewing? Very uncomfortable. Guy lying with his feet up on his laptop, his other half upstairs in her PJs (6oclock in the evening!) while her little dog barked and barked until I had to make a dash for cover downstairs, place looked like it hadn't been tidied don't mind cleaned in weeks, couldn't wait to get away!

4. Emailed EA with request for viewing, he will call me back (last week now)

Is this normal?

1. Email EA asking for viewing told me I couldn't view the house because it was under negotiation whatever that means (price drop 5 days ago)

Don't bother e-mailing at this stage. Seriously. I did that back in the day but I was lucky if the email's were acknowledged never mind taken seriously.

On the phone is far more likely to get a response and you can tell allot more from the demeanour etc. of the EA.
    2. Told house was sale agreed for much more than the asking price and to leave my number. Advertisement was renewed two days later and house is still for sale on website, is that the norm?

There are piles of houses on myhome/daft that are apparently sale agreed or sold. Not sure why.
    3. Went for viewing. House was at 22k more than the asking price (who bids up a house like this after two days) told on arrival. House was a dump, couple behind walked into the hall and walked back out. Is normal to have the family there while viewing? Very uncomfortable. Guy lying with his feet up on his laptop, his other half upstairs in her PJs (6oclock in the evening!) while her little dog barked and barked until I had to make a dash for cover downstairs, place looked like it hadn't been tidied don't mind cleaned in weeks, couldn't wait to get away!

Have experienced family being in the house/outside in the garden at a showing. But nothing like that!

Sounds like they don't want to sell it. Maybe they're being forced to?
    4. Emailed EA with request for viewing, he will call me back (last week now)

See above. Emails are useless in my experience.

Don't bother e-mailing at this stage. Seriously. I did that back in the day but I was lucky if the email's were acknowledged never mind taken seriously.

On the phone is far more likely to get a response and you can tell allot more from the demeanour etc. of the EA.

There are piles of houses on myhome/daft that are apparently sale agreed or sold. Not sure why.

Have experienced family being in the house/outside in the garden at a showing. But nothing like that!

Sounds like they don't want to sell it. Maybe they're being forced to?

See above. Emails are useless in my experience.

Thanks for the reply. I will try with the phone in future its just that it takes time with the amount of properties that aren't actually on sale on the net :confused:, I suppose they get a lot of mail that never follows up with much maybe.

As for the sloppy couple, I can only presume that its rented maybe, the EA looked embarrassed, stepping over dirty washing on the floor in landing, you'd have to see it to believe it actually...

anyways thanks for the advice I will use the phone and see if I get a better response :)

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »

I don't want to spend that much :(

But I don't think 300 to 350 is the upper end of the market. Well, let me put it this way. It's a ****load of money but it doesn't buy a whole pile.

Like, bidding on this stands at 415k.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/53-maywood-avenue-raheny-dublin-5/2401447

Do you really think that's the upper end of the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jython98

very new to the house hunting thing...

Well, I can see that from your username :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I don't want to spend that much :(

But I don't think 300 to 350 is the upper end of the market. Well, let me put it this way. It's a ****load of money but it doesn't buy a whole pile.

Like, bidding on this stands at 415k.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/53-maywood-avenue-raheny-dublin-5/2401447

Do you really think that's the upper end of the market?

Approaching it yes but also it ain't Foxrock ;) The address and house might not be much, guess people are paying top dollar for location and space hence 415k.

Most houses bought in Dublin are not in the 415k range, that is out of reach of the majority of buyers, a minority(couple doing well in good jobs) can afford it. I'd say most buyers can afford more like in the sub 300k range (without looking up a definitive stat). That said, that's under today's lending criteria, not the 2006 free for all lending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Going to do a second viewing tomorrow...here's hoping :)

mel.b wrote: »
    Going to do a second viewing tomorrow...here's hoping :)

Best of luck!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Dublin25

Hi All,

Thought i'd join this thread, since we hope to buy in 2013 and its providing brilliant tips.
    Also nice to see others going through similar situations.

We have an offer in on a house and was rejected and we are gonna go again on Monday with another offer. Himself is doing the bidding and i'm struggling with the time its taking but thats mainly cos i'm useless at haggling and hate this process.

My major worry, is the vendor not accepting an offer and we have to go looking for another house. We could go to asking price but don't feel like the house is worth it!

Good luck to all!

I think I am going to need my own thread after my second round of viewings yesterday. After been barked at by a little dog last week to the point where I had to end the viewing, yesterdays viewing was cut short when the current tenants threw us out of the house. I felt really sorry for the couple they only had 2 hours notice, the dinner was on the woman was clearly upset at people snooping around her home, the EA had a brass neck he just kept ushering people around while they shouted get out...

The EA then informed us of another house in the area he was showing so I went around for a look. Spent 15 minutes waiting to get into the house while he seem to have broken in or picked the lock cause he had no key.

I'm hoping for a more normal experience on my next round of viewings! Most of the houses on sale at the moment in the area i'm interested in seem to have been rented houses and are rough, i'm hoping for an improvement in stock in the coming weeks, fingers crossed.

I'd also like to thank killers1/killian for getting my approval done so quickly and professionally, it was the simplest thing I ever done, retrieve a few items he requested, met for coffee less than 2 weeks later mortgage approval, happy days!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭techdiver

Hi Killers1,

Similar to some of your post here I was just wondering if you could give me a starting point for what i could expect form an approvals point of view.

Salary 1: €54,000 (permanent full time)
    Salary 2: €39,000 (permanent full time)

Rent: €1,050 per month
    Saving: €900 - €1,000 per month give or take
    Current Savings: €40,000 approx spread over a number of accounts

No loans

Other info: We dipped into our savings for our wedding last year but have replaced most of it at this stage.

We use our credit card a good deal (cheaper than current account fees), but always clear it every month. I.E. We have never been charged interest on it.

Cheers.

techdiver wrote: »
    Hi Killers1,

Similar to some of your post here I was just wondering if you could give me a starting point for what i could expect form an approvals point of view.

Salary 1: €54,000 (permanent full time)
    Salary 2: €39,000 (permanent full time)

Rent: €1,050 per month
    Saving: €900 - €1,000 per month give or take
    Current Savings: €40,000 approx spread over a number of accounts

No loans

Other info: We dipped into our savings for our wedding last year but have replaced most of it at this stage.

We use our credit card a good deal (cheaper than current account fees), but always clear it every month. I.E. We have never been charged interest on it.

Cheers.

Hi Techdiver
    Your incomes would qualify you to borrow circa €420k but you would need to be showing a consistent repayment capacity for €2,550pm to be approved for that amount. At the moment you have a repayment capacity for €1,950pm (rent €1,050 + savings €900pm) which equates to a stressed mortgage repayment on €320k so if you were to apply in the morning this is the max level you could expect to be approved for. If you are looking for a higher loan amount you will need to increase your savings for a period of months to demonstrate you could take on a mortgage at a higher level. Any queries let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

Need some advice,
    I was booked in to view a property which has been on the market for a number if years. The viewing was cancelled by the EA without any real explanation apart from the vendor wanting to hold off for awhile. I was told the had an offer of €30,000 below asking price when arranging the viewing originally.
    The plot thickened when I came to discover the house had been burgled and this was the reason for the cancelled viewing. My question regards the course of action now needed, should I try to contact the builder who is selling the house and see what damage was done and go from there? Or should I contact the EA and do the same thing? I am still interested in the house but I am wary if the house was stripped for copper and flooded. How would you proceed?

Advertisement