Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house 2013!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

khards wrote: »
    Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

Have you even 1 example to back that up? It's off the wall in my opinion..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

They are out of the bloody mind then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Many sellers are playing delaying tatics in the hope that property prices rise 15% this year.

This year.?? as in 2013.? they are definitely living in cloud cuckoo land or believing the spoof that is being spun over the last week by the vested interests..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 DMG1983

quad_red wrote: »
    January? Ouch! Ye deserve it at this stage.

We're still stuck dealing with the vendor's solicitor who is a total waste of space. Nine weeks in and he hasn't responded to any of the pre contract queries, to the apparent surprise of the vendors who touched base through the EA on Friday.

The contracts were sent to my solicitor in late Feb with a lot of special conditions. The vendors solicitor was worse than useless taking up to 6 weeks to respond to queries then not even answering all the questions.
    It was a receiver sale so no one was pushing it from the other side.
    Hang in there if you want the place, I felt like pulling out lots of times but I just couldnt have faced starting the whole process again!
    I hope you get sorted soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

DMG1983 wrote: »
    The contracts were sent to my solicitor in late Feb with a lot of special conditions. The vendors solicitor was worse than useless taking up to 6 weeks to respond to queries then not even answering all the questions.
    Hang in there if you want the place, I felt like pulling out lots of times but I just couldnt have faced starting the whole process again!

At this rate we should set up a f**king support group for people dealing with crap vendor's solicitors!

Their solicitor was supposed to answer ours (the first actual response after numerous letters and calls from our solicitor) by COB yesterday. Nothing. Called the EA and the person in their solicitors office is on holidays again.

So frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

DMG1983 wrote: »

Oh thanks God someone else has gone/is going through this! We thought we were the only ones! Contracts received start of June, queries sent shortly after and only got reply the other day. I am awaiting my solicitor to give me a buzz back about it this afternoon. But looks like a half-assed attempt at answering queries. Have actually been really stressed about it the last few days awaiting the reply and reading the recent article in the Irish Times didn't help.

DMG1983 - does it get sorted eventually? We've had loads of patience in the process so far, ball started rolling in Jan of this year, sale agreed end of April, but now I'm exhausted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

techdiver wrote: »
    Not entirely true.

Not everyone who is repossessed will enter the market immediately, be it for rental or otherwise. Some will house share if they can, others with families may move in with relatives. It is already happening is some cases.

So 20,000 repossessions does not equate to 20,000 required properties for those who were re-possessed.

Some like Brendan & Asta Kelly will have the option of moving into one of their 20 other properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 DMG1983

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Oh thanks God someone else has gone/is going through this! We thought we were the only ones! Contracts received start of June, queries sent shortly after and only got reply the other day. I am awaiting my solicitor to give me a buzz back about it this afternoon. But looks like a half-assed attempt at answering queries. Have actually been really stressed about it the last few days awaiting the reply and reading the recent article in the Irish Times didn't help.

DMG1983 - does it get sorted eventually? We've had loads of patience in the process so far, ball started rolling in Jan of this year, sale agreed end of April, but now I'm exhausted!

It got sorted for me but everything happened in slow motion. There's no point getting stressed because there is nothing you can do about it, unfortunately the whole process is out of our hands.
    I was under the impression mine was so slow because it was an apartment and a repossession, but it seems to be a running theme.
    I don't think they appreciate that it's people's lives they are messing around with, it's very frustrating.
    Would contacting the estate agent and getting them to hassle the solicitor do you any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Woohoo, contracts finally signed today - went sale agreed at the start of May. Should have the closing date confirmed tomorrow but think it will be before the start of Sept. Massive, massive thanks to Killers1 for all his help :)

Congrats Mel.

We signed our contracts last week and now they've gone abroad to the vendors for signature.

So we've only 'half signed' I suppose. No closing date yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭skyfall2012

Hi, I am also in the process of buying a house, we were meant to close on the 5 July and we are still waiting for closing. We have paid, the contracts have been signed and the county have confirmed that the sale can go through. But, we are still waiting for the solicitor to give us a date to collect the keys. Why is this process so drawn out?

Hi, I am also in the process of buying a house, we were meant to close on the 5 July and we are still waiting for closing. We have paid, the contracts have been signed and the county have confirmed that the sale can go through. But, we are still waiting for the solicitor to give us a date to collect the keys. Why is this process so drawn out?

Aw man, I'd be pretty pissed at that.

So are you paying your mortgage?

Aw man, I'd be pretty pissed at that.

So are you paying your mortgage?

We paid cash. Got email today saying the other solicitors had not sent docs to clients, when they said they had and now we have to wait for return of those documents and also has to check did they paid the house tax. Is this sort of delay normal when buying a house, it is 3 months now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

We paid cash. Got email today saying the other solicitors had not sent docs to clients, when they said they had and now we have to wait for return of those documents and also has to check did they paid the house tax. Is this sort of delay normal when buying a house, it is 3 months now?

Yes it is I waited 5 months. Even though I paid cash. I persume your solicitor still has yere money

adam88 wrote: »
    Yes it is I waited 5 months. Even though I paid cash. I persume your solicitor still has yere money

It seems to me it is pure laziness, when there is no mortgage lender involved and we are not selling a house.

All they have to do is give docs to their secretary and tell him/her to post them to the relevant people. Why should that have to take 5 months? I was told the average time of purchase to go through is 8 weeks.

It seems to me it is pure laziness, when there is no mortgage lender involved and we are not selling a house.

All they have to do is give docs to their secretary and tell him/her to post them to the relevant people. Why should that have to take 5 months? I was told the average time of purchase to go through is 8 weeks.

Just reading over this thread, should have done it before, but couldn't -needed to vent. Anyhow I see that 12 weeks is perhaps more the average wait on purchasing a house.

We went sale agreed in early May and signed our contracts last week. They have no been sent abroad for the vendors to sign them.

How long we have to go is anyone's guess but I think the big think we've learned is that you need to keep the heat on.

Their solicitor had been sitting on the deeds from the bank for a few weeks before concerted effort from our solicitor and from us through the EA got them to move forward.

We got a call two weeks ago from the EA who said the vendors were frustrated at how long things were taking. I sternly told the EA to inform them that the delays were all on their side with their solicitor. Since that things have moved pretty quickly.

To cut a long story short - if the vendors aren't pushing their solicitor it seems to run like treacle.

A guy who works with my wife was just under six weeks from sale agreed to keys handed over last year. A friend of ours went sale agreed after us and got their keys two weeks ago. From a small town where they able to put pressure on the solicitors through mutual acquaintances to keep things moving.

We went sale agreed in early May and signed our contracts last week. They have no been sent abroad for the vendors to sign them.

How long we have to go is anyone's guess but I think the big think we've learned is that you need to keep the heat on.

Their solicitor had been sitting on the deeds from the bank for a few weeks before concerted effort from our solicitor and from us through the EA got them to move forward.

We got a call two weeks ago from the EA who said the vendors were frustrated at how long things were taking. I sternly told the EA to inform them that the delays were all on their side with their solicitor. Since that things have moved pretty quickly.

To cut a long story short - if the vendors aren't pushing their solicitor it seems to run like treacle.

A guy who works with my wife was just under six weeks from sale agreed to keys handed over last year. A friend of ours went sale agreed after us and got their keys two weeks ago. From a small town where they able to put pressure on the solicitors through mutual acquaintances to keep things moving.

I would also have thought that it is up to our solicitor to keep pressure on vendor solicitor. Our docs have been sent abroad for client to sign also and this is the first we heard that client lived abroad. We paid in full under the impression everything was signed. It is very frustrating.

I would also have thought that it is up to our solicitor to keep pressure on vendor solicitor. Our docs have been sent abroad for client to sign also and this is the first we heard that client lived abroad. We paid in full under the impression everything was signed. It is very frustrating.

Our solicitor sent three formal written letters and called their office multiple times leaving messages with no response. Nothing. Had to really up the pressure on the EA, provide all the dates/copies of unanswered letters etc. leaving it at the point where they had no excuse or defence and had to act.

We knew the vendors were abroad but only later found out they are separated. We've been assured that they both want to sell and this won't hold up signing (it didn't hold up going sale agreed) but at this point I'm expecting the worst with everything.

Would be nice for everything to just happen easily now. We've signed contracts, handed over the full 'big' deposit (which has been cashed) and are now awaiting for them to sign. We have absolutely everything possible done on our side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

ok, thinking of taking the plunge. If I go to the bank in the morning what do I need to apply there and then? I will be applying with Mrs.Keith16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

keith16 wrote: »
    ok, thinking of taking the plunge. If I go to the bank in the morning what do I need to apply there and then? I will be applying with Mrs.Keith16
    I'd wait for the New Year.
    There's been a lot of "chatter" the last few weeks that the banks are going to start repoing BTL's and releasing them on the market.
    Thousands of them.

keith16 wrote: »
    There's been a lot of "chatter" the last few weeks that the banks are going to start repoing BTL's and releasing them on the market.
    Thousands of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Thousands of them.

From reading various threads in Accommodation & Property regarding repossessions (see Glut of repossessed houses could depress prices ‘by up to 25%’ ) thread, I'm wondering if it's going to be worth the wait - from reading the experiences of posters in this forum, expectations are that conveyancing in relation to repo properties may not be that straightforward - long delays in banks making decisions on offers, difficulties regarding title /contract exchange ...sounds like it will call for loadsa stamina when the stampede begins !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Thousands of them.

Like the January sales - "everything must go"!?

http://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/pdfs/movinghomeleaflet.pdf

Selling a house (extract from above doc): What a solicitor will ask from you.
    " Location of title documents – obtaining these – and having the contract for sale drafted in
    advance.
    " Agreement on a timeframe for the sale, i.e. auction date and closing date for giving vacant
    possession.
    " Review of title to identify any potential title difficulties, e.g. alterations or extensions without
    either planning permission or consents under building regulations.
    " Whether you should accept an offer which is "subject to loan" and, if so, on what terms.
    " Identification of contents to be included or excluded from the sale.
    So we are purchasing an ex local authority house, which has been granted the go ahead for sale by the local authority. My solicitor has said that she is now waiting for documents to come back from client (in France) signed.

My question is what documents could they be, as she has previously emailed me to say that the contracts are signed and the sale is legally binding.

From the extract above the title should be in place and ready to go along time ago. The date the vendor had for completion was 21 June.

She also said that they have to check if they have paid the property tax on the house, should that not have been done months ago. We have paid in full over two weeks now and still have not been given a date for completion.

Is she just taking her time? My kids start school in the last week in August and we still have no where to live. I feel a little out of control and they seem to be making things up to stall the proceedings?

The person who previously owned the house died, so it is her children selling.

http://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/pdfs/movinghomeleaflet.pdf

Selling a house (extract from above doc): What a solicitor will ask from you.
    " Location of title documents – obtaining these – and having the contract for sale drafted in
    advance.
    " Agreement on a timeframe for the sale, i.e. auction date and closing date for giving vacant
    possession.
    " Review of title to identify any potential title difficulties, e.g. alterations or extensions without
    either planning permission or consents under building regulations.
    " Whether you should accept an offer which is "subject to loan" and, if so, on what terms.
    " Identification of contents to be included or excluded from the sale.
    So we are purchasing an ex local authority house, which has been granted the go ahead for sale by the local authority. My solicitor has said that she is now waiting for documents to come back from client (in France) signed.

My question is what documents could they be, as she has previously emailed me to say that the contracts are signed and the sale is legally binding.

From the extract above the title should be in place and ready to go along time ago. The date the vendor had for completion was 21 June.

She also said that they have to check if they have paid the property tax on the house, should that not have been done months ago. We have paid in full over two weeks now and still have not been given a date for completion.

Is she just taking her time? My kids start school in the last week in August and we still have no where to live. I feel a little out of control and they seem to be making things up to stall the proceedings?

The person who previously owned the house died, so it is her children selling.

OK. After writing this down I rang auctioneers after rereading quad's post above and he contacted client to conform that documents are in the post. Should have them Monday. Sorry if I am coming across as a little crazy, I need to bounce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

OK. After writing this down I rang auctioneers after rereading quad's post above and he contacted client to conform that documents are in the post. Should have them Monday. Sorry if I am coming across as a little crazy, I need to bounce.

You're waiting on the actual deed of transfer/conveyance and the various statutory declarations you need the vendor to make. You're nearly there, these things do take time unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Finally at the end. Got the keys officially yeaterday. Offer accepted in March. Was close to pulling out on numerous occasions. Calling the auctioneer got things moving for us. I suppose they want to be paid too. Here's to 20 years of debt. Wohoo.

Anyone know the legal age for buying a house.
    My kid (only child) is 17 soon, and I'm thinking of buying and putting the house in his name.
    What's the pros and cons of this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Anyone know the legal age for buying a house.
    My kid (only child) is 17 soon, and I'm thinking of buying and putting the house in his name.
    What's the pros and cons of this?

He cannot enter into a contract below the age of 18. There may be a way of putting a mortgage free house in a child's name, possibly in trust but you would need legal advice as to how it is done. You would need to be mindful of the gift tax threshold, and implications for your son in light of his education.
    I cannot think of any circumstance (other than an inheritance) where this would be a good idea.

Advertisement