Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house 2013!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

mel.b wrote: »
    Got my keys just after 5pm...hope others did too :)

Congrats! That's fantastic news!

Unfortunately our closing date has moved to Monday. Still even if we meet that day the whole process has only been 11 weeks from sale agreed to closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ioisha

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had to apply for an extension of their loan offer from ICS? And if so what was the process?

Thanks,
    Ioisha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Got our keys today at 7pm.

Couldn't be happier. A fun weekend ahead.

Good luck to everyone still in the throws and thanks to everyone for all the advice!

Quad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

quad_red wrote: »

Good luck to everyone still in the throws and thanks to everyone for all the advice!

Quad

Congrats it's been a long long road for you.

Quad

Congrats! I'm delighted you've finally got them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Its not only in Dublin that things are starting to move. Stuff that has been there for ages is now starting to see bidding.

Dead cat or z bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Quad

Well done Quad...you got there in the end and that's the main thing :)

Got the keys!!

Exclamation marks are not enough to articulate my glee!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Our solicitor rang to say that all we need is to draw down the mortgage so we have to put our house insurance and life cover in place now. He said that they were "looking to close as soon as possible". I laughed when I heard it, they dragged things out all summer and I was so stressed I started looking at other properties. Suddenly they want to close ASAP! Ha! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Our solicitor rang to say that all we need is to draw down the mortgage so we have to put our house insurance and life cover in place now. He said that they were "looking to close as soon as possible". I laughed when I heard it, they dragged things out all summer and I was so stressed I started looking at other properties. Suddenly they want to close ASAP! Ha! :rolleyes:

So basically they've sorted out where they're moving to and now want to get things closed asap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

What's the average time to close a sale this year? We went sale agreed over a month ago and solicitor hasn't even got the contracts yet. Wouldnt mind but it's a cash sale so you'd think it would be quicker.

So basically they've sorted out where they're moving to and now want to get things closed asap.

No it's actually a receivership sale of a rental property so there is no moving of houses involved. I thought it was pure cheeky. They can wait until we are sorted on our side!

Devi wrote: »
    What's the average time to close a sale this year? We went sale agreed over a month ago and solicitor hasn't even got the contracts yet. Wouldnt mind but it's a cash sale so you'd think it would be quicker.

From looking over this thread, I'd say the average of 4-6 months from sale agreed. Really depends on the situation the house in question is in (eg bank sale, estate, divorce etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Receiver Sale...

Closing date was Monday gone... Now after numerous personal changes on the receivers solicitors side (4th solicitor on the sale apparently); they are now saying that the bank needs to ok the sale / letter required??

Surely when we went sale agreed over 3 months ago - the "bank" was happy to accept the offer. Baffling!

Frustrating is an understatement!!!!

thewools wrote: »
    Receiver Sale...

Closing date was Monday gone... Now after numerous personal changes on the receivers solicitors side (4th solicitor on the sale apparently); they are now saying that the bank needs to ok the sale / letter required??

Surely when we went sale agreed over 3 months ago - the "bank" was happy to accept the offer. Baffling!

Frustrating is an understatement!!!!

Buying from a receiver myself, I’m only at the start of this rollercoaster and I already want to get off.

I don’t even intend on moving in straight away but I was hoping id get the keys before Christmas, as it needs a bit of work done to it and I’m really busy after, doesn’t look likely going by this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Neg equity seller....sale agreed since end of Feb....still waiting to get contracts....

gmisk wrote: »
    Neg equity seller....sale agreed since end of Feb....still waiting to get contracts....

Jesus, would you not look for somwhere else at this stage, I wouldnt have the patience for it.

Jeez the only one's selling these days are receivers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Jeez the only one's selling these days are receivers!!

I don't know one person who's bought a house in the past year and a half or so that hasn't involved either negative equity, receivers or probate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

MYOB wrote: »
    I don't know one person who's bought a house in the past year and a half or so that hasn't involved either negative equity, receivers or probate.

My purchase was a bog standard sale from the vendors but it still took 4 1/2 mths

• Advertisement

mel.b wrote: »
    My purchase was a bog standard sale from the vendors but it still took 4 1/2 mths

Going by this thread and a couple of others the bog standard sales seem to be quicker than the receivers etc, friend of mine bought and sold a house in a standard house chain a couple weeks ago and closed within 6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

I'm beginning to get completely fed up with this whole buying a house racket, our solicitor received contracts almost 6 weeks ago and we're still no closer to getting the keys, problem after problem after problem bollocks to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Devi wrote: »
    Jesus, would you not look for somwhere else at this stage, I wouldnt have the patience for it.
    If I could find something good in my price range in a decent area I would! But there is very little stock and what there is, is being bid on til its poor value IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

We have been in our new home for a few weeks and I'm just now getting the chance to add my voice to the chorus of people singing the praises of killers1!
    I made contact with him having seen the numerous recommendations in this and other threads, all I can say is wow, what a pleasure to deal with someone who is on your side and as courteous, professional, efficient and helpful as him.
    Absolutely no hesitation in recommending his services to anybody looking to buy, whatever your circumstances.

Just to say to anyone looking at buying, it's not always as complicated/drawn out as some people are experiencing. We seem to have been very lucky, looking at buying and watching the market for a good while, killers1 guided us through our mortgage approval which was quick and straightforward, we found the right house at the right price in the right area after not too many viewings (not in Dublin so that probably helped), had our offer accepted and sale agreed straight away, valuation, survey etc done within a week with no problems (killers1 again), life/house insurance and solicitor in place at v reasonable rates (all through killers1), contracts exchanged etc and collected the keys about 8 weeks after sale agreed. So it can be done!

gmisk wrote: »
    If I could find something good in my price range in a decent area I would! But there is very little stock and what there is, is being bid on til its poor value IMO.

I know I know, it’s crazy what’s going on at the moment and a tough one to call. On one hand my gut instincts tell me that this housing bubble that Dublin is experiencing atm will be a short term thing but on the other hand it’s hard not to worry when you see prices going up and supply dropping off.

I bought my first house in 2004 and I remember the country wide panic back then to get on to the property ladder, luckily I sobered up and sold in early 2007. (Thanks to treesdontgrowtothesky and thepropertypin)

I’m not buying in Dublin but there does seem to be a small ripple effect throughout the commuter belt that as a buyer worries me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

We have recently seen a property advertised which interests us and would value advice of other Boarders in deciding bidding tactics . The situation is as follows :
    Property now priced at €135k, having been originally set at €260k , with 3 price drops since Jan 2013, the most recent drop 2 weeks ago. We hope to view the house at some stage and have in our heads a bid somewhere around €110k , which would be near our max budget.
    Would this bid be seen as disrespectful so soon after the recent price drop and possibly alienate us with the seller/EA, given the price drops by the vendor already ??
    Would it be better to wait a while and see what happens before we view/ make an offer ??
    We would like to put our interest in the property on record but not at the €136k currently priced.
    Any views welcome !

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tonyw28

My verbal offer to buy a house has been accepted. I have mortgage in principle. They want a deposit to go sale agreed and stop advertising the house as available
    Waiting on my solicitor to phone me back in the morning but for peace of mind, do I get that deposit back if something goes wrong?
    It's not the actual contract deposit which will come further down the line so I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

tonyw28 wrote: »
    My verbal offer to buy a house has been accepted. I have mortgage in principle. They want a deposit to go sale agreed and stop advertising the house as available
    Waiting on my solicitor to phone me back in the morning but for peace of mind, do I get that deposit back if something goes wrong?
    It's not the actual contract deposit which will come further down the line so I believe

What they want is a booking deposit, you'll get it back if the sale falls through. You're making your offer subject to contract, you haven't signed the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

yes you get it back if you decide to pull out for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 tonyw28

I'm gone sale agreed and the estate agent wants my letter of approval in principle from the bank. Do I need to give this to them. Since my mortgage in principle is more than the agreed house price I would rather keep that information private from them in case this deal hits a snag or they think let's try get more money out of this guy and move the goalposts

Advertisement