Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house 2013!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Hi can anyone help me please. We went sale agreed on a house in July. Everything was going according to plan until over four weeks ago my solicitor phoned me to advise that the vendor's bank had lost the deeds to the property. Apparently they are having new deeds "drawn up". I'm not really sure what this means and I have some questions.

I understand there will be a delay and I have come to the realisation that we won't be in the house by Christmas, however can anyone advise how long this process may take. Did anyone experience a simlar setback? Another concern I have is; as we are FTBs we are not liable to pay property tax for three years. However when does this exemption expire? Do you have to have the house purchased by 31st December, or does the exception carry forward into 2014? I'd appreciate any advice as I am quite anxious that we may never get the house :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Well after a stressful and at times extremly frustrating 8 months of dealing with estate agents, banks, solicitors, management companies and uncooperative owners (Developer before anyone thinks I took someones house from under them :p) we finally got the keys of our new home at half 5 Friday evening, I've never been so happy, excited and nervous in my life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Elbow wrote: »
    Well after a stressful and at times extremly frustrating 8 months of dealing with estate agents, banks, solicitors, management companies and uncooperative owners (Developer before anyone thinks I took someones house from under them :p) we finally got the keys of our new home at half 5 Friday evening, I've never been so happy, excited and nervous in my life :D

It would not be shameful to take a repossessed house because it's not their house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

lima wrote: »
    It would not be shameful to take a repossessed house because it's not their house

Completely agree with you, if you cant pay for it then get out,

In saying that i'm not sure i'd personally put myself through the extra stress of buying a house that someone is determined not to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

Hi can anyone help me please. We went sale agreed on a house in July. Everything was going according to plan until over four weeks ago my solicitor phoned me to advise that the vendor's bank had lost the deeds to the property. Apparently they are having new deeds "drawn up". I'm not really sure what this means and I have some questions.

I understand there will be a delay and I have come to the realisation that we won't be in the house by Christmas, however can anyone advise how long this process may take. Did anyone experience a simlar setback? Another concern I have is; as we are FTBs we are not liable to pay property tax for three years. However when does this exemption expire? Do you have to have the house purchased by 31st December, or does the exception carry forward into 2014? I'd appreciate any advice as I am quite anxious that we may never get the house :(

I would be interested in what the status is for property tax exemption as well if there are any more informed people out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 formernyer

tvc15 wrote: »
    I would be interested in what the status is for property tax exemption as well if there are any more informed people out there?

According to the Revenue web site, "Properties purchased by a first time buyer between 1 January 2013 and 31 December 2013 will be exempt until the end of 2016." (http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/exemptions.html)

So it must be purchased in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

Sale needs to complete by 31/12/13

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

killers1 wrote: »
    Sale needs to complete by 31/12/13

All buyers in 2013 who live in the property

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

We are in a situation where the sale may not close by 31st Dec. If the sale does not close until say 7th of Jan, I presume the current owner is liable for the property tax for the year 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

jon1981 wrote: »
    We are in a situation where the sale may not close by 31st Dec. If the sale does not close until say 7th of Jan, I presume the current owner is liable for the property tax for the year 2014?

Talk to your solicitor - This is something he /she should ensure is payed -

property owner on 1 November 2013 pays LPT for 2014.

• Advertisement

Talk to your solicitor - This is something he /she should ensure is payed -

property owner on 1 November 2013 pays LPT for 2014.

If the property is sold in November or DecemberI assume this does not apply and the new owner is due to pay the 2014 tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

If the property is sold in November or DecemberI assume this does not apply and the new owner is due to pay the 2014 tax?

Previous poster is correct, I had it validated by a solicitor, the current owner at the 1st of November is liable. It is silly because if the house is sold on the 2nd of November the buyer gets the benefit of the 2014 tax being paid.
    The seller can try and get a refund off the buyer but legally the buyer can say no and this is the correct position by the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Has anyone experienced estate agents advertising houses that are already sold?
    Its so frustrating. They re-enter them on my home and daft etc and if you call the day they are re-entered you are told...sorry sold. And they won't take them down grrrrr

collegeme wrote: »
    Its so frustrating. They re-enter them on my home and daft etc and if you call the day they are re-entered you are told...sorry sold. And they won't take them down grrrrr

Is this in dublin ? I've seen agents with so little property to rent or sell I Dont know how they are still in business. They might be just trying to keep their name on there so as a cheap way to drum up new business from sellers/ renters

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I noticed that a few re-entered properties are sale agreed. It's obviously some change they need to make to the database entry when they go sale agreed, but they should stop them from going to the top of the pile again. It is irritating. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Malari wrote: »
    I noticed that a few re-entered properties are sale agreed. It's obviously some change they need to make to the database entry when they go sale agreed, but they should stop them from going to the top of the pile again. It is irritating. :o

no mention of sale agreed...price still up. also advertised as still for sale on their own website.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

no mention of sale agreed...price still up. also advertised as still for sale on their own website.

Oh yeah, I mean sale agreed when you ring up about them. It's very frustrating. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

In today's Irish Times Property Supplement .... On view this weekend - 5-6 Martello Tce, Sutton - 4 bed, 95 sq.m., BER :G Terrace of cottages, with "work to do" but unrivalled views over Dublin Bay
    All for €595,000 !!!
    Unrivalled indeed !!!!

In today's Irish Times Property Supplement .... On view this weekend - 5-6 Martello Tce, Sutton - 4 bed, 95 sq.m., BER :G Terrace of cottages, with "work to do" but unrivalled views over Dublin Bay
    All for €595,000 !!!
    Unrivalled indeed !!!!

The times are doing property supplement again ? That's a bigger shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,901 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The times are doing property supplement again ? That's a bigger shock.

They never stopped, two a week - one commercial one residential. They just got down to about four pages...

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

killers1 wrote: »
    Busy, thankfully...

Busy here 2, - and Sutton for 600 K sounds about right in the 'current climate'
    Signs of recovery all along the Dublin Cost line.
    There are Tower cranes down at the end of my mams road in Dollymount !!

Glad to hear your busy Killers, Keep on keepin on as they say.
    regards,
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Hi all

We have just gone sale agreed on a house and we’re not sure if we need a either structural engineer or a surveyor to look at the house, or both?

Can anyone please advise. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Hi all

We have just gone sale agreed on a house and we’re not sure if we need a either structural engineer or a surveyor to look at the house, or both?

Can anyone please advise. Thanks!

Only saw your question there now.

I am in the same position as you and started ringing around today. I went with a surveyor in the end.

I thought I needed a structural engineer as I had this idea they were more thorough.

The first guy I rang was a s/engineer and he said he would look at the structure of the building-is it safe, subsidence etc but that he wouldn't look at electrics, plumbing, heating.
    He said a surveyor would look at all these things.
    He said that usually you would employ a structural engineer if the building/structural surveyor found structural issues and these needed to be looked at in more detail or if you were going to go ahead with changes to the structure of the building then the engineer would advise and design relevant components-supporting beams etc.

Definitely ask what they will cover in their survey when you ring up places b/c I think they can vary quite a bit eg heating system, plumbing, electrics, damp, drainage.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Hi everyone,
    Have mortgage approval from Boi and Aib and am trying to compare what they are offering. Can't see this anywhere on their websites: assuming I was on a variable rate mortgage does anyone know if there would be a charge to transfer the mortgage to a different lender?
    It says everywhere about there being penalties if you pay off or break a fixed rate mortgage early but nothing about changing altogether.
    It can't be no charge if you are on a variable rate surely?!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

Roselm wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Have mortgage approval from Boi and Aib and am trying to compare what they are offering. Can't see this anywhere on their websites: assuming I was on a variable rate mortgage does anyone know if there would be a charge to transfer the mortgage to a different lender?
    It says everywhere about there being penalties if you pay off or break a fixed rate mortgage early but nothing about changing altogether.
    It can't be no charge if you are on a variable rate surely?!
    Thanks

No charges from the bank (except for a security release fee of about €60), but significant legal fees.

roro2 wrote: »
    No charges from the bank (except for a security release fee of about €60), but significant legal fees.

How significant are the legal fees or does anyone have experience? We are going with a provider that currently has a low variable rate but obviously if the time comes when another provider are much cheaper I am curious what the total cost may be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Hi Everyone,
    We have been sale agreed now for about 6 weeks with very slow progress.
    Good to hear that it has taken others quiet a while too :)

Hi Everyone,
    We have been sale agreed now for about 6 weeks with very slow progress.
    Good to hear that it has taken others quiet a while too :)

congrats.

Roselm wrote: »
    Only saw your question there now.

I am in the same position as you and started ringing around today. I went with a surveyor in the end.

I thought I needed a structural engineer as I had this idea they were more thorough.

The first guy I rang was a s/engineer and he said he would look at the structure of the building-is it safe, subsidence etc but that he wouldn't look at electrics, plumbing, heating.
    He said a surveyor would look at all these things.
    He said that usually you would employ a structural engineer if the building/structural surveyor found structural issues and these needed to be looked at in more detail or if you were going to go ahead with changes to the structure of the building then the engineer would advise and design relevant components-supporting beams etc.

Definitely ask what they will cover in their survey when you ring up places b/c I think they can vary quite a bit eg heating system, plumbing, electrics, damp, drainage.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Roselm. We went with a surveyor in the end who seemed to cover everything. We still didn't know though when you might need an engineer, so thanks for clearing it up!

• Advertisement

We expect to get the keys to our house end January / early February, just wondering: is it possible for the vendor of our house not to pay the local property tax? Will our solicitor insist it's paid before signing contracts?

Advertisement