Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house 2013!

Options
1262728293032»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

We expect to get the keys to our house end January / early February, just wondering: is it possible for the vendor of our house not to pay the local property tax? Will our solicitor insist it's paid before signing contracts?

Your solicitor will ensure that this is paid.

Edit: the first lpt payment you must make will be for 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Your solicitor will ensure that this is paid.

Thanks Ezra. We were hoping to get everything signed before the end of the year so we'd be exempt from the property tax for the next 3 years. However, being exempt for the first year isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 7vens

Hey guys I'm in the last phase of buying a house. There are taxes and charges owed on the house which the seller has said he can't pay as he is declaring insolvency. The bank has told him to sell off his assets which is one of the houses that I am currently in the process of buying. He has told us that the bank has agreed for the taxes and charges to be paid from proceeds of sale. My solicitor won't accept this unless she can get a letter from the seller's bank stating this. I was wondering can there be a clause put into the contracts of sale to say I'm agreeing to purchase the property on the basis I won't be liable for these taxes and charges? From the very beginning both solicitors have being playing games with one another. I believe one was the previously the others boss in the past. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am a clueless first time buyer and am now in the 7th month of trying to purchase this house!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Your Solicitor is representing your Interest in purchasing this property and therefore it is his/her responsibility to ensure that all taxes and outstanding debts on the property are cleared before closing date otherwise going forward you will be responsible for these debts plus interest and surcharges.

Your Solicitor will need a letter/undertaking from the banks Solicitor confirming that all taxes/ debts etc. will be cleared from the proceeds of the sale.

If you close in December you will not be liable for property tax until 2016 and if you close in 2014 the vendor has to pay for 2014 so you will only be liable in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Trish56 wrote: »
    Your Solicitor is representing your Interest in purchasing this property and therefore it is his/her responsibility to ensure that all taxes and outstanding debts on the property are cleared before closing date otherwise going forward you will be responsible for these debts plus interest and surcharges.

Your Solicitor will need a letter/undertaking from the banks Solicitor confirming that all taxes/ debts etc. will be cleared from the proceeds of the sale.

If you close in December you will not be liable for property tax until 2016 and if you close in 2014 the vendor has to pay for 2014 so you will only be liable in 2015.

The vendor is lible for 2014 now regardless of when the sale closes.

even if it closed today.

Re the last poster my brother has gone through the same hassle re a receiver sale.

started with them saying my bro would have to pay all outstanding charges (including the EA's fee for the sale I $HIT YOU NOT) as they were going insolvent and couldn't.

My Bro via his solicitor told them to go fu(k themselves then it changed to the sellers bank having to take the hit which took about 6 weeks to sort before that was agreed.

They finally agreed to that but it added a load of time to the sale. TBH the bank / receiver are chancing their arm hoping you will agree don't fold they will take the hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

I'd check out the LPT rulings first. As far as I know you can pay monthly, so the present owner will only have to pay one months tax and not a full year in advance. Check with your solicitor to clarify this.

Best of luck with your new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

JOSman wrote: »
    I'd check out the LPT rulings first. As far as I know you can pay monthly, so the present owner will only have to pay one months tax and not a full year in advance. Check with your solicitor to clarify this.

Best of luck with your new home.

Owner on 1st Nov. 2013 is liable for entire lpt for 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Have been following this thread (and 2012), but rarely posted. After almost 18 months looking, I can't wait to move into my house next week.

A hugh thank you to Killers1 for all the help and advice. I'm pretty sure I'd still be hunting if it hadn't been for his help getting over a few hurdles. His endless list of contacts were a huge advantage after I was sale agreed too.

Thanks to everyone for the posts here and best of luck to those still looking.

Anyone know of a decent solicitor in Waterford? Need to get a second opinion and some advice as my my situation has become so messy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Hi 7vens, I've sent you a PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

How are those who bought in 2013 going settling into their new homes? I've been in for just over 8 weeks now and it is just starting to feel like 'mine'. Had a few things go wrong just after moving in - boiler not working when I moved in, no heat, couldn't pick up Irish stations on tv, massive watermark appearing on ceiling in kitchen, plasterboard coming away from wall next to fireplace and it was a pretty depressing 'what have I done' time. However all those issues got sorted and I started on the redecorating phase. It's been pretty non-stop for the past few weeks and has been exhausting. What I didn't appreciate buying as a single person, is that there's only me to do things! If I sit down, things aren't going to get done. However I'm building an impressive tool collection now! I've also been very lucky and got great value out of friends husbands who have pitched in and helped out with some of the DIY jobs I couldn't manage myself :D

I've also been incredibly lucky with the neighbourhood which is great and very quiet and I have great neighbours. My next door neighbours take my dog for a walk during the day for me and a neighbour across the road has also done some jobs for me - fixing the plasterboard that came away and also replaced the bathroom taps to stop the leak that was causing the watermark.

The house wasn't my first choice and I didn't get the 'feeling' when I went it, but it ticked all my boxes and was easily the best house on the market after my first choice (which wasn't really available despite being 'on' the market). However I'm really glad I went for it and there's also been nothing else come up on the market since, so that makes me doubly happy.

I hope everyone has a wonderful first Christmas in their new homes :)

So 8 months later I finally got the keys. Good Luck to everyone buying a home in 2014 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dsouths

Killian

I'm currently in need of a mortgage broker & you come highly recommended. Can you PM me your contact details?

Thanks

dave

Advertisement