Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house 2013!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

flintash wrote: »
    Came here just to ask how not to look tyre kicker. thats all.
    Well, up to you but who cares. They will only see you as a "tyre kicker" if you are a long way off their price expectation. However, if that's the case then you're not in the running for that particular property - so why does it matter?

Move on to the next prospect...and repeat as necessary until you get the deal you're satisfied with.

I couldn't care less about what the EA thinks. However, if on a subsequent property they think that your offer is workable, then won't it be game on again? Money does all the talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭khards

Haa,

From the look of this thread there are not many eager buyers this year!

I feel sorry for the poor suckers outbidding each other last year and have ended up paying more than if they had waited to this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

khards wrote: »
    Haa,

I feel sorry for the poor suckers outbidding each other last year and have ended up paying more than if they had waited to this year.

I'm an eager buyer for this year and am just waiting for the people whose house i want to buy find something they want to buy. I keep joking about dropping anonymous daft print outs in their mailbox of houses they might like to buy :p

And killers1 has done a brillant job of getting my mortgage approval done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

We're waiting, finance ready to go. But there is not allot of realistic supply in the areas we're looking.

So we continue to wait. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭flintash

I'm going to see the house tomorrow. very much interested in it, and price is OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

I'm going to see the house tomorrow. very much interested in it, and price is OK.
    Good luck bud. Be sure to report back here as regards how that goes for you ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

khards wrote: »
    Haa,

I don't feel like a sucker! Great house on the cheap and MIR! But best of to the 13's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭qwertypop

I've a price agreed on a property and the sellers solicitor has sent in contracts etc but now were stuck waiting for ber certs and nppr receipts. I know full well that the seller has not got them so its going to be dragging it out even further

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭clancynl

Hi all,
    I know this has probably been answered in previous threads but I'd appreciate some feedback please!
    Myself and the girlfriend are meeting a few of the banks in a few weeks (BOI & AIB). I don't want to be too optimistic, but what are the chances of us getting mortgage approval based on the following;
    - I'm in a full time permanent job for the past 3.5yrs on a salary of 37,100.
    - girlfriend is in a full time permanent job for the past 5 years on a salary of 46,000
    - I'm 29 and she's 27
    - we have been paying rent, 1,050 for the past 18 months
    - saving for the past 12months and now have 10,000
    - both sets of parents are giving us a gift of a combined total of 12,000
    - I have a loan of 4000 to be repaid over the next 4 years( engagement ring!)
    - she has a car loan of 6000

We are looking for a mortgage of about 220,000..... What's the chances?

Hi There ... We're in more or less the same position as you ... well .. apart from the fact that I'm 40 :) ... but just to let you know .. .I'm completely new to this malarky and am a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to property ... but a mate of mine recommended paying a visit to Frank Lenny ... a mortgage broker just on Fitzwilliam street ... and he helped no end in explaining the current market situation, calculating our potential fees / monthly repayments, alongside being a rather nice dude. The first consultation is free of charge so it might not hurt to have a chat with the man and see what you think ...

He did mention that some of the banks are not able so lend due to certain criteria laid out buy the upper eclehons, but he deals with a few he knows are able to lend / eager to lend so has an in-road into the process moreso that I'd have anyways ...

just my two cents ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

clancynl wrote: »
    The first consultation is free of charge

Only the first consultation? I was under the impression that brokers were paid commission by the bank, and most of them don't charge the applicant any fees.

• Advertisement

nibtrix wrote: »
    Only the first consultation? I was under the impression that brokers were paid commission by the bank, and most of them don't charge the applicant any fees.

Ah well ... maybe he's not a broker then ... (apologies ... I'm clueless at anything property related) rather an Independent Financial Advisory Services dude ... So it seems anyways ... his fee - if we choose to go ahead and have him as our intermediary - is 250 to start and then 250 when the deal is done ... not bad for me considering his expertise and contacts (solicitors, surveyors, banks etc ...). Seemingly they survey what each lender has on offer so he stays abreast of what are the more attrractive offers available and all that jazz ... handy if you ask me

Dunno if I'll be barred for this ... but here's his blurb on his offerings...

http://www.franklenny.com/mortgage_process_trading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

Ah well ... maybe he's not a broker then ... (apologies ... I'm clueless at anything property related) rather an Independent Financial Advisory Services dude ... So it seems anyways ... his fee - if we choose to go ahead and have him as our intermediary - is 250 to start and then 250 when the deal is done ... not bad for me considering his expertise and contacts (solicitors, surveyors, banks etc ...). Seemingly they survey what each lender has on offer so he stays abreast of what are the more attrractive offers available and all that jazz ... handy if you ask me

He is a Mortgage Broker and charges €500. There are a lot of other brokers offering the same expertise and contacts for free and rely on existing satisfied clients to refer new business in lieu of charging for their services.

killers1 wrote: »
    He is a Mortgage Broker and charges €500. There are a lot of other brokers offering the same expertise and contacts for free and rely on existing satisfied clients to refer new business in lieu of charging for their services.

Ah-ha ... ah well .. I warmed to the chap during our meeting .. I liked his schtick ... so I'll stick with him for now .... tis all part of the learning curve I s'pose ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Ah-ha ... ah well .. I warmed to the chap during our meeting .. I liked his schtick ... so I'll stick with him for now .... tis all part of the learning curve I s'pose ...

Pity you didnt come on here first. I think you would almost unanimously have been recommended Killers1 a regular on this forum.

Bet he doesnt charge 500 lids either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

D3PO wrote: »
    Pity you didnt come on here first. I think you would almost unanimously have been recommended Killers1 a regular on this forum.

Shut up! You'll give him ideas! ;)

It's looking like that now alright ... <facepalm> ... cheers for the heads up anyways

Yep, killers1 has been brilliant. I live on the other side of the country and have done everyhting via email. He's been really prompt with emails, taken my phone calls when i've called and submitted my apllication on a fri and had approval by Tues am :D

And no, he doesn't charge €500 either ;)

Whoops ... apologies Killer1 .. didnt mean to detract from your sterling work on here ... First day perusing this post so looks like i was a tad hasty in recommending anything ... lesson learnt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Well I had little personal involvement with Killers but before I bought I read up on all his posts here and advice and doubt his posts very helpful. Very encouraging to me too

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭flintash

I talked to guys in South Mall ,cork, aka mortgage broker, they charge 800 in total.
    Follow up on my house viewing today: like I said, price sounded good :D for a reason. :D one wall is falling off the house.
    Well i'm not buying house-surprise. God knows what else is wrong with the house.
    Country is littered with houses that are either in bad shape or nobody want to live in them for a reason , but asking prices are based " you know what the LAND is worth!!"
    Ya, I know! All the radioactive gases that are coming from the ground makes it gold value. :mad:
    Sorry for rant

• Advertisement

D3P0 - Thanks for your kind words & great idea re the €500!

Clancynl - Don't be silly, best of luck with your purchase and any queries at any stage let me know..

Mel.b - You have a great weekend! :)

efb - You'll be getting an invoice too.....

I talked to guys in South Mall ,cork, aka mortgage broker, they charge 800 in total.
    Follow up on my house viewing today: like I said, price sounded good :D for a reason. :D one wall is falling off the house.
    Well i'm not buying house-surprise. God knows what else is wrong with the house.
    Country is littered with houses that are either in bad shape or nobody want to live in them for a reason , but asking prices are based " you know what the LAND is worth!!"
    Ya, I know! All the radioactive gases that are coming from the ground makes it gold value. :mad:
    Sorry for rant

For €800 I'd expect them to help you move in!

Don't get too hung up on that house. It's obviously falling apart... take your time to find the right house at the right price.

Sorry for rant

Bummer flintash :(. Don't worry though...something will come up

D3P0 - Thanks for your kind words & great idea re the €500!

Clancynl - Don't be silly, best of luck with your purchase and any queries at any stage let me know..

Mel.b - You have a great weekend! :)

efb - You'll be getting an invoice too.....

i will pm you where to send my commision cheque :D;):pac::cool:

i will pm you where to send my commision cheque :D;):pac::cool:

haha! Work away! If I ever go down that road I'll let you know.. unfortunately at the moment, 50% of nothing is €0.00 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

We had our offer accepted yesterday, so after 4 years of renting and waiting through price falls i'm about to join the dark side.

Will no doubt have plenty of questions along the way, though i've tried to read as much as possible. It's the more obvious practical things that get me - so here's one to start. I want to organise a valuer once I pay the booking deposit - what's the situation with keys - give the valuer the EA's details?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    We had our offer accepted yesterday, so after 4 years of renting and waiting through price falls i'm about to join the dark side.

Will no doubt have plenty of questions along the way, though i've tried to read as much as possible. It's the more obvious practical things that get me - so here's one to start. I want to organise a valuer once I pay the booking deposit - what's the situation with keys - give the valuer the EA's details?

Congrats! You email or phone the Valuer & give property address, purchase price, name of bank you're borrowing from, mortgage ref no and estate agent's contact details and the valuer will ring the EA to arrange access & can return the original report directly to your lender.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭janeybaby

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone might be able to help - I applied to AIB for a mortgage approx
    2 weeks ago of 145000 (over 30 years) as a single applicant and got word back yesterday that I was unsuccessful & the max they could offer was circa 100k. In the original meeting I was advised my extreme max would be between 155k-159k and that because I was looking for less, I was in a good position. This is my situation:

working in semi-state company on salary 37,000/year for the past 4 1/2 years (permanent & pensionable)
    savings of just over 10k
    Savings 400/month
    Rent at home 200/month
    no loans (owe 500 on a credit card)

On their response, I was told that because I was "borderline" on replayments it had to go to three lenders and it was the third who made the call on it & I should try to up my savings for the next 6-9months to reapply. Naturally, I am very disappointed after nearly 5 years saving & I don't particularly want to wait that length when my finances are already in a good place.

I am wondering firstly, if this has happened to anybody else and what steps they took? and secondly, does being a single applicant hugely reduce my chances?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Thanks guys...

janeybaby wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone might be able to help - I applied to AIB for a mortgage approx
    2 weeks ago of 145000 (over 30 years) as a single applicant and got word back yesterday that I was unsuccessful & the max they could offer was circa 100k. In the original meeting I was advised my extreme max would be between 155k-159k and that because I was looking for less, I was in a good position. This is my situation:

working in semi-state company on salary 37,000/year for the past 4 1/2 years (permanent & pensionable)
    savings of just over 10k
    Savings 400/month
    Rent at home 200/month
    no loans (owe 500 on a credit card)

On their response, I was told that because I was "borderline" on replayments it had to go to three lenders and it was the third who made the call on it & I should try to up my savings for the next 6-9months to reapply. Naturally, I am very disappointed after nearly 5 years saving & I don't particularly want to wait that length when my finances are already in a good place.

I am wondering firstly, if this has happened to anybody else and what steps they took? and secondly, does being a single applicant hugely reduce my chances?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Thanks guys...

The reason you were only offered €100k is very straightforward. The problem with dealing with a bank direct is that they only do the first part of the underwriting calculation which is to put your income figure into their calc to see what number comes out. In your case a salary of €37k would qualify you to borrow circa €150k. The problem is the second part of the underwriting where they stress test the amount you are looking to borrow @ 6.24% over the term requested which on €145k amounts to €891pm. The only repayment capacity you can show is savings €400pm + €200pm rent so you are €291pm short of proving you can afford a mortgage at that level. You are showing a repayment capacity for €600pm which equates to a loan amount of €100k i.e repayments on €100k over 30 yrs @ 6.24% = €615pm.. You'll need to increase your savings so that your rent + savings = circa €1k pm and then you should get approval in 6 months time. A good mortgage advisor could have told you this in 5 minutes as opposed to putting you through a pointless application exercise.

• Advertisement

The reason you were only offered €100k is very straightforward. The problem with dealing with a bank direct is that they only do the first part of the underwriting calculation which is to put your income figure into their calc to see what number comes out. In your case a salary of €37k would qualify you to borrow circa €150k. The problem is the second part of the underwriting where they stress test the amount you are looking to borrow @ 6.24% over the term requested which on €145k amounts to €891pm. The only repayment capacity you can show is savings €400pm + €200pm rent so you are €291pm short of proving you can afford a mortgage at that level. You are showing a repayment capacity for €600pm which equates to a loan amount of €100k i.e repayments on €100k over 30 yrs @ 6.24% = €615pm.. You'll need to increase your savings so that your rent + savings = circa €1k pm and then you should get approval in 6 months time. A good mortgage advisor could have told you this in 5 minutes as opposed to putting you through a pointless application exercise.

exactly.

Also you only have 10k of savings. At a max LTV of 92% 125k would be the max mortgage you could get regardless of your income.

you were never ever going to be approved for 145k

Advertisement