Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Power-on Password

Options
  • 20-11-2012 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I have been given two netbooks that have been hanging around work for some time. They are both Power-on Password protected and nobody has any idea what the passwords ever were as the users are no longer employed here.

They are:

TOSHIBA Portege R200

and

HP Compaq nc2400

My very limited knowlegde extends to removing the bios battery from a desktop to bypass a password problem but I haven't a clue about these.

I know they are old machines but I can most definitely find a use for them if someone can assist.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Darren.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The process is basically the same for laptops, they're just small desktops.

First off find the manual for each (should be downloadable) and it should have instructions for clearing the CMOS on the laptop. It may involve opening the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Thanks Seamus, I'll get on it now. Appreciate the help.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Some laptops have more advanced security, where removing the cmos battery won't clear the password. Sometimes shorting a chip can remove it but be very careful doing this and obviously only if you find guides online suggesting this and being the exact same model

Nick

Advertisement