Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2013 Myrtle Beach ?

Options
  • 20-11-2012 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hey guys ,
    thinking of heading on a j1 next summer. Group of about 5 lads.
    We decided against San Diego because of the bad rep Irish have over there and difficulty of getting jobs.
    We are set on east coast now, heard the j1 usual spots like ocean city and the jersey shore got hit bad by sandy so we want to go a bit further south now to Myrtle Beach.
    Anyone be there? Anyone else looking to go there next summer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BBBboy

Hey,
    I know its early days yet but a group of us (girls 20-21) , trying to decide where to go on a J1 2013. Can't decide between Ocean City or Myrtle Beach. Both seem to be good J1 spots. We don't know about OC either over Sandy, whether jobs will be available by summer. We will be looking for people to share accom aswell closer to the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mahonykid

yeah its early days yet, were just trying to get a headstart so it will be cheaper. ocean city was our first choice until we saw pictures of it after the hurricane. Yeah we will be looking to share accomodation too, apparently a place called the rainbow court motel take on the irish not a bother, fairly cheap too

Yeah OC was our first choice too, supposedly no clubs for under 21's there either, not good for us as we are all 20 and only one of us is 21. Heard the rainbow court motel closed down due to mice/being dirty? haha but apparently its the Beverly now or something. We were looking more towards a house for sharing..

From what i heard of myrtle beach being under 21 isnt a problem, apparently they even take photocopies of your passport. Yeah only 2 of us will be 21 heading over but were not too bothered. Just saw that its closed there now, the Beverly is another motel owned by the same crowd just a bit down the road. We would be up for sharing a house too, anything to make it cheaper haha

Yeah heard that too, thats why we are more drawn to Myrtle beach. House parties would be the job too haha. Yeh we are the same anything that is cheaper. We havent looked up houss or anything yet. We only put down our deposit today. Are you on fb/twitter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 lololollie

hey :) Yeh a few of us (girls) are thinking of heading there too! Heard it's meant to be good on the job and weather front but other than that haven't heard much! We haven't heard great things about Ocean City to be honest.. Cape cod might be on the cards too!

im puttin down my deposit there tonight, ill private message you a link to my facebook there now.
    Hey lollolille, many of ye thinking of going ?

at the moment there's definitely 5, but we're trying to rope in a few more..wbu? I put down the deposit today :D they said they'll be ringing next week to sort out flights!

sounds like theres a good few heading out that direction so, we got about 5 too, be great crack

yeh can't wait :) have you heard how much the flights are or anything? we also considered the west coast but apparently its super expensive and its difficult to get jobs...where did you hear about the bad rep in San Diego?

• Advertisement

yeah i heard same about west coast. one a my buds went there and said they are sick of us over in san diego cos we cause too much havoc ha, few people said it on this aswell i think, not too sure about flights, i thinkk anywhere between 800 and 1000 depending on where ya go, could be a killer :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AisM

hi, me and a group of about 4 girls are thinking of going to Newport RI, has anyone heard of people going there???

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭clairey__Ox

Hey I'm looking at doing my J1 on the east coast, either Newport RI, Cape Cod MA of Myrtle beach.
    Ive been to Newport and Cape Cod last summer (not on a J1!) and there were plenty of Irish J1ers there, and I've heard Myrtle beach is good craic too.
    At the minute I'm flying solo but hoping to rope in a few more from college. Anyone know anything about the strictness of agelimits in RI/MA? I'll still only be 19 unfortunately

Hey clairey__Ox .. We are heading to Myrtle Beach. Group of us (girls) all aged 20 and one girl will be 21. Havent heard much about Newport.. Cape Cod a few of my friends went there last year. Said it was amazing there, but too quiet compared to the other J1 spots. A lot of older americans holiday there not many young people, not many nightclubs or house parties and that.. so that put us off straight away. We are more drawn to where the parties are happening and that so myrtle beach sounded perfect for us..you can get into most clubs in Myrtle beach if you are 18 just no drink..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ange119

Just wondering does any1 kno how much flights roughly are for myrtle beach ? myself and bout 8 other lads tinking goin dr dis year.. was in Chicago last year on j1 and met few gang who recommended it.

lads , just wondering, who did ye book with, usit, go for less, or sayit?

No idea how much flights are to myrtle beach.. Looking up general airlines prices seem to range between €600-€800 depending on airline and stop over. We all booked with usit, we havent heard of many people booking with the other companies ..

we were all thinking of flying into Charlotte if we can, and renting a car and driving down, works out way cheaper

mahonykid wrote: »
    we were all thinking of flying into Charlotte if we can, and renting a car and driving down, works out way cheaper

Do usit not organise the flights for you and you then choose which package suits you best? thats what the girl told us in usit last week? :)

your probably right, will just have to wait and see when they ring about flights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

BBBboy wrote: »
    Yeah OC was our first choice too, supposedly no clubs for under 21's there either, not good for us as we are all 20 and only one of us is 21. Heard the rainbow court motel closed down due to mice/being dirty? haha but apparently its the Beverly now or something. We were looking more towards a house for sharing..

Legal age is 21 in the US....you won't find clubs for under-21s anywhere......unless they're alcohol free venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Legal age is 21 in the US....you won't find clubs for under-21s anywhere......unless they're alcohol free venues.

Not true. Plenty of clubs open up in the states and have nights where they allow under 21s/over 18s in. Everyone over 21 gets a wristband allowing them to drink.

Was in NYC last year for 6 months work placement. Thinking of heading to Myrtle Beach this year with a group of lads. Was set on San Diego but afraid of the job situation so leaning towards Myrtle Beach now!

Knex. wrote: »
    Not true. Plenty of clubs open up in the states and have nights where they allow under 21s/over 18s in. Everyone over 21 gets a wristband allowing them to drink.

Was in NYC last year for 6 months work placement. Thinking of heading to Myrtle Beach this year with a group of lads. Was set on San Diego but afraid of the job situation so leaning towards Myrtle Beach now!

Hear the same about the wristbands and I have a friends currently going to college in myrtle beach who is also under 21. She said its no problem just no drinking when out. Yeah group of us (4 girls) set on myrtle beach now, hearing good things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

BBBboy wrote: »
    Hear the same about the wristbands and I have a friends currently going to college in myrtle beach who is also under 21. She said its no problem just no drinking when out. Yeah group of us (4 girls) set on myrtle beach now, hearing good things about it.

Yeah, friends of mine that were under 21 went to a few of the big clubs in NY such as Pacha and got in fine when pretty drunk. As long as you don't start drinking in there you'll be grand.

One girl I know got caught drinking and the bouncers threatened to throw us all out until she did the whole, I'm Irish I didn't know, routine. Heard Myrtle Beach is the same with regards to clubs so should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wangles91

Hey guys ,
    thinking of heading on a j1 next summer. Group of about 5 lads.
    We decided against San Diego because of the bad rep Irish have over there and difficulty of getting jobs.
    We are set on east coast now, heard the j1 usual spots like ocean city and the jersey shore got hit bad by sandy so we want to go a bit further south now to Myrtle Beach.
    Anyone be there? Anyone else looking to go there next summer?
    Went there last year. got off my face on yokes, jumped on some cars and even mounted a baby whale

wangles91 wrote: »
    Went there last year. got off my face on yokes, jumped on some cars and even mounted a baby whale

I'm defintly going now if legends like you be there. Add me there on facebook wangles, f**k off! kant! :)

I'm defintly going now if legends like you be there. Add me there on facebook wangles, f**k off! kant! :)
    **** off id bate you ya knacker. knock the justin beiber head off ya

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dementedmole5

wangles91 wrote: »
    **** off id bate you ya knacker. knock the justin beiber head off ya
    Some of us are trying to sort out our J1s here lads. ye can shift each other in your own time.

really bernie dementedmole? big fat square head would be more apporiate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

THREAD LOCKED!! Pathetic name calling will not be tolerated in this forum and can result in banning. wangles, you've been warned!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement