Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benfica Vs Celtic KO 7.45 TV3 SS2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

ConorCBS wrote: »
    Am I not allowed go against the grain and want Benfica to win, no?

Of course, your post was more anti Celtic than pro Benfica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

Its the tone of the post - another one of those days for Celtic? You mean a good result in Europe

Yes, I mean another heroic performance where no matter what the opposition try they just can't beat them.

It wasn't meant as a negative post in any way. I have no problem with Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yes and the other chap can snooze him if he wants like
    And I can give out to him for that if I want like? We could go on like this.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hopefully Watt does it again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Are Benfica away to Barca or home next game?

CSF wrote: »
    And I can give out to him for that if I want like? We could go on like this.....

And what reason would you have to give out to me for wanting Benfica to win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Really didnt intend to derail. My bad. Enjoy the game!

Soups123 wrote: »
    Are Benfica away to Barca or home next game?

Away.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Has Hooper got on the end of any of the balls knocked up to him?

Wanyama out of the next game. ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Ah f*** no Victor for next game now :(.

ConorCBS wrote: »
    And what reason would you have to give out to me for wanting Benfica to win?
    You might want to re-read the sequence of what was said again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Lads my head is going to fcuking explode here. Celtic are not using the wide spaces, they end up hoofing it up and giving it straight back to Benfica.

Wasteful by Watt after some great play.

Lennon should really have taken Wanyama off to protect his availibility for the next game

CSF wrote: »
    You might want to re-read the sequence of what was said again.

Okay, let's just leave it at that. No need to be clogging up the thread anymore. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

PauloMN wrote: »
    Has Hooper got on the end of any of the balls knocked up to him?

bar giving clarke a kit to wash and upsetting artur, nothing.

another great save by forster. quality player

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Lennon should really have taken Wanyama off to protect his availibility for the next game

Need a result here though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

OT : What sort of clipboard does the Benfica manager have? It seems to have plastic markers to represent the team formations?

what a chance for kayal!

• Advertisement

Just needed a touch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Celtic just needed a little bit of composure and they would have taken one of those chances at the end.

congrats to benfica, fully deserved 3 points. celtic were utterly disappointing in every aspect of the game. hopefully we learn and improve against spartak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Didn't deserve anything out of the game tonight really. How valuable a Nou Camp would have been now. We have to beat Moscow and hope the real Barca turn up.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Need a result here though

Celtic played shite tonight, no way were they getting a result. They need a result in Glasgow though

Deserved to lose, and by more. Dreadful from Celtic. If we play like that at home in the next game it's bye bye CL.

Bit gutted tbh. Can see Benfica sneaking through v Barca.

• Advertisement

The stats are pretty bad for tonight alright. Similar to first game against Barca

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Pretty poor Celtic performance by recent standards but doesn't take away from what has been a great campaign so far. It's really put into perspective when you look at the teams on the verge of going out of the competition. All to play for in the last game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Hopefully by the last round of games Messi is on 84 or 85 goals for the calendar year and he'll be all out to break Muller's record. Can't see Benfica winning in the Nou Camp so it's all down to Celtic beating Spartak.

I'm more gutted about the performance than the result tbh. Tonight was like watching Celtic in Europe a few years ago, the only difference being a fantastic keeper in Forster to keep the score down.

They should get their balls booted for that tonight. Hapless from start to finish, aside for 5 mins when we equalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

That was some hoofball alright, but I'm positive, Celtic will cop on and get a decent home win against Spartak. You can't rely on Barca, tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I tgink Celtic will go through tbh, Spartak are no great shakes and Barca will.get a result.

Even Barca's second team would have a good crack at Benfica in the Camp Nou.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    That was some hoofball alright, but I'm positive, Celtic will cop on and get a decent home win against Spartak. You can't rely on Barca, tbh

That's the thing, we are now relying on them to keep Benfica to a draw or loss, and we have to win. If Benfica lose, we just need a draw, if Benfica draw, we need a win, if Benfica win.... well let's not go there!

I can see one of the results going tits up...it'll be a long night!

Eirebear wrote: »
    I tgink Celtic will go through tbh, Spartak are no great shakes and Barca will.get a result.

i agree but celtic need to perform. we have a habit of not performing when we should so lennon needs to have a good think about how we prepare for these games.

edit

from in our hands to out. thats frustrating tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

That was the Celtic we were used to seeing up to this season.

Awful stuff.

That was the Celtic we were used to seeing up to this season.

Awful stuff.

you dont see much celtic so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Dempsey wrote: »
    you dont see much celtic so

Talking about Celtic away in Europe.

Talking about Celtic away in Europe.

true i suppose in general but our away record under lennon is decent tbh.

i wonder if knowing that we'd be in europe after christmas influenced the attitude towards this match.

true i suppose in general but our away record under lennon is decent tbh.

i wonder if knowing that we'd be in europe after christmas influenced the attitude towards this match.

3 away wins out of 5 this season is not too shabby, compares well with just about any team in the competition.

RoryMac wrote: »

3 away wins out of 5 this season is not too shabby, compares well with just about any team in the competition.

alot hang the 'poor away record' on the current manager, rather than take his results on their own merits. lennon took awful flak for a record he didnt create. glad he knocked it on the head!

the ucl is not straight forward for any club this season

• Advertisement

RoryMac wrote: »

...and scoring in all of them as well is a great improvement.

What galls me about tonight is that we are so much better than that. I think we went in to the game with the wrong attitude tbh, that we just needed a draw. We all knew Benfica would cause us problems tonight with them needing the win, but we were so sloppy when we had the ball and gave it away pretty much as soon as we got it. We have to use the pitch (and our midfield) in these games when we have the ball. Countless times tonight the wrong decision was made by our players on the ball.

I suppose that with the last two back-to-back games against Barca, we weren't used to having the ball much in Europe! :)

Hope we go out with the right attitude for our last game. I think Spartak will be right up for an upset though, to salvage a bit of pride from what has been an awful campaign for them. If we are to go through, I reckon it'll be a draw for us v Spartak and a narrow defeat for Benfica away to Barca.

I'm preparing for yet another nervous night! :)

I think you're right, the attitude seemed to be that a draw would do and we never really got going, hopefully this one bad game won't come back to haunt us.

was hooper fit to start?

should watt got the nod?

So as I understand it, Benfica win game 6 then Celtic out. Benfica draw then Celtic need a win. Benfica lose and Celtic only need a draw?

I didn't see the Spartak game away (3-2 win for Celtic), but as someone who hasn't really watched them (beyond 2x Barca and tonight v Benfica) can Celtic actually change their method and "play for a win" or will their gameplan for game 6 also be the defend and counter approach again?

was hooper fit to start?

should watt got the nod?

I don't think Hooper was fit, but even if he was, I'm not sure there's much point in deploying him when we're not going to pass the ball through midfield. That's why I thought Miku might have been worth a shot instead (but the forced Mulgrew and Brown subs didn't help there). Miku's a bigger target and might have won more of the balls hoofed up.

Brown was a mistake from the start. He's a shadow of his former self, through no fault of his own. I see no point in trying to accommodate him in the team while his hip problems persist - it's no good for him or the team.

I also wouldn't want to rush starting Tony Watt into these games yet. It makes sense to bring the likes of him and Forrest (when fit) in as subs (where they can make a big impact) imo while they are building up their experience in big European games.

Ideally, Commons should have started ahead of Brown tonight, I'd like to have seen Hooper hooked for Miku, then Watt in later.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    So as I understand it, Benfica win game 6 then Celtic out. Benfica draw then Celtic need a win. Benfica lose and Celtic only need a draw?

I didn't see the Spartak game away (3-2 win for Celtic), but as someone who hasn't really watched them (beyond 2x Barca and tonight v Benfica) can Celtic actually change their method and "play for a win" or will their gameplan for game 6 also be the defend and counter approach again?
    That is what I think is going to be very interesting also. I can see Celtic keeping it very tight for quite a while in the hope that Barca can do the job for them and they'll only need a draw, and then Celtic pushing on if Benfica are holding out. I mean realistically, it is mathematically more likely (if you consider odds as a decent measure of this), that a draw will be enough for Celtic, than that it won't.

No, we need to go for a win v Spartak. I presume the other game will be played at the same time, so no presuming we only need a draw I hope. I think we played for a draw tonight and it back-fired.

Vic Wanyama will be a big loss. Hopefully we'll have Forrest and Izzy back. We should have a lot more possession than the last few games and hopefully a lot more shots on goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

kitakyushu wrote: »
    OT : What sort of clipboard does the Benfica manager have? It seems to have plastic markers to represent the team formations?

Pretty sure I saw one on mcsports website last week. Something like €30. Fierce handy yokes, one fella has them here in the emerging talent centre. He showed his to me and told me I should get one.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Pretty sure I saw one on mcsports website last week. Something like €30. Fierce handy yokes, one fella has them here in the emerging talent centre. He showed his to me and told me I should get one.

The Benfica managers (Jorge Jesus) one looked a lot snazzier , but yeah that seems to be the idea!
    http://www.mcsport.ie/pro-soccer-coaches-tactic-folder/reytr811pd.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

PauloMN wrote: »
    I don't think Hooper was fit, but even if he was, I'm not sure there's much point in deploying him when we're not going to pass the ball through midfield. That's why I thought Miku might have been worth a shot instead (but the forced Mulgrew and Brown subs didn't help there). Miku's a bigger target and might have won more of the balls hoofed up.

Brown was a mistake from the start. He's a shadow of his former self, through no fault of his own. I see no point in trying to accommodate him in the team while his hip problems persist - it's no good for him or the team.

I also wouldn't want to rush starting Tony Watt into these games yet. It makes sense to bring the likes of him and Forrest (when fit) in as subs (where they can make a big impact) imo while they are building up their experience in big European games.

Ideally, Commons should have started ahead of Brown tonight, I'd like to have seen Hooper hooked for Miku, then Watt in later.

Lennon said after the match that Brown may be off soon for surgery so he will be out for a few months.

Fingers crossed Kayal and Ledley will be fully fit for the Spartak game.

Advertisement