Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mice??

• 20-11-2012 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

saw a mouse last April so set traps all around the house...caught two mice, kept the traps down.... nothing else!

Change the traps regularly have tried butter, cheese, ham, chocolate and bacon rind...caught nothing else..

My friend stayed over about 3 weeks back she thinks she felt a mouse (I know ewwww) so changed all the traps again and nothing!!

I put a carton of duty free cigarrettes (bought for my friend when in hols) in the hotpress about 6 weeks ago... went to get them out the other night and the bag, either end of the carton and 3 boxes on either end of the carton had been chewed upon...
    reset all the traps again and put one in the hot press where I hadn't one before....still nothing!!

Haven't had the courage yet to clear out the hot press and investigate...my xmas decorations are stored there so will have to sooner rather than later...

Any more tips???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

eok56 wrote: »
    saw a mouse last April so set traps all around the house...caught two mice, kept the traps down.... nothing else!

Change the traps regularly have tried butter, cheese, ham, chocolate and bacon rind...caught nothing else..

My friend stayed over about 3 weeks back she thinks she felt a mouse (I know ewwww) so changed all the traps again and nothing!!

I put a carton of duty free cigarrettes (bought for my friend when in hols) in the hotpress about 6 weeks ago... went to get them out the other night and the bag, either end of the carton and 3 boxes on either end of the carton had been chewed upon...
    reset all the traps again and put one in the hot press where I hadn't one before....still nothing!!

Haven't had the courage yet to clear out the hot press and investigate...my xmas decorations are stored there so will have to sooner rather than later...

Any more tips???

Works for me everytime

Nice Strong Cheddar Cheese
    OLD style hard to set traps. Forget about those new easy set pieces of crap
    Melt the cheese down (i use a boiling kettle and a large spoon over it)
    Drip the cheese into the recess where it will go hard and cant be taken off only chewed down on;)
    Leave them anywhere there was activity...... Theres a few other threads on here too re same have a look through :cool: happy trapping
    GAME OVER

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭eok56

by old style do you mean the wooden ones with the spring???

Mice go mad peanut-butter/Nutella. I find it works better than cheese.

by old style do you mean the wooden ones with the spring???

Yeah I used to hate setting them, but i tried the easy set ones and wasnt impressed:)

ronan45 wrote: »
    Yeah I used to hate setting them, but i tried the easy set ones and wasnt impressed:)

Ya they the ones I have, will try the melted cheese and the nutella/peanut butter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

Peanut butter always worked for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...when setting traps. The old style traps in large numbers set along where mice run is best.

Of course warn all users of confined spaces such as airing presses etc of the location of traps.

Check daily to recover bodies and avoid smells of dead mice.

Check all outside walls etc for holes...a mouse will get in through a hole as small as 7mm.

Only use concrete or metal for sealing holes, mice will gnaw wood or sealant or plaster and get through to the inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

go to youtube and search for "bucket mouse traps".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

just caught 2 mice on lidl marcipan bar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Or the fat of a rasher works on the trap too

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Or the fat of a rasher works on the trap too

Tried this in hotpress, where they had devored the cigarrettes but nothing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Obvious, put a cigarette on the trap!

Mech1 wrote: »
    Obvious, put a cigarette on the trap!

lol!! might just work!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

any Chance of getting Mink Piss ?

open the bottle and pour some in the hot press.. does the Trick for me drives them out of the house, don't like using poison as they could end up Rotting under the floor boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Grease from a pan.... also the old school traps. The ones that scare ya when setting them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Peanut butter always works for me and try not to get human scent on traps. Use disposable gloves when setting.

You might have more sucess if you cleared out the hotpress. Mice will scurry along the skirting board, so place the trap along the skirting board so they run into trap.

I agree, the easy set traps are not great, I have had a few disasters with those. I recommend these ones, they are easy set, but very strong.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/OFFER-STV-Big-Cheese-One-Touch-Set-Up-Ultra-Power-Mouse-Traps-Pack-2-STV148-/400312199106?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Weed_Pest_Control_CV&hash=item5d347767c2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Any more tips???

Two years ago I caught 9 mice!!! All with mars bars in traps. I was told to lay them near wall as mice run in a straight line? I used the cheap wooden ones and threw them away with mice intact after one use as supposedly they can smell mouse blood and humans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭WHU

Always used bits of Mars bars with cotton tread squashed through it and around the little peg. If the bait becomes loose the tugging on the cotton will trigger the trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Millem wrote: »
    Two years ago I caught 9 mice!!! All with mars bars in traps. I was told to lay them near wall as mice run in a straight line? I used the cheap wooden ones and threw them away with mice intact after one use as supposedly they can smell mouse blood and humans?

Yes and yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭eor123

I have thhe same problem, they seem to be dodging the traps somehow, but today I found this, and wasnt sure if they are mouse or rat droppings, they seem very big!

• Advertisement

eor123 wrote: »
    I have thhe same problem, they seem to be dodging the traps somehow, but today I found this, and wasnt sure if they are mouse or rat droppings, they seem very big!

O dear they look very Big for mice. . If i find something like that Im moving out!!!!! I still havent caught anything!!

O dear they look very Big for mice. . If i find something like that Im moving out!!!!! I still havent caught anything!!

Oh Christ! I put down poison, blue powder and pellets mixed in with a biscuit! Horrible yolks altogether...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Cerco

Not a good idea to use poison in your home. The pests will die, in the most inaccessible place, and cause a prolonged dreadful smell.

Traps are the best solution.

Cerco wrote: »
    Not a good idea to use poison in your home. The pests will die, in the most inaccessible place, and cause a prolonged dreadful smell.

Traps are the best solution.

This time last year there was a horrendous smell in work now I mean horrendous smell, turns out retokil had laid poison for the creatures and they had died under the floor. Honestly I nearly got sick.

I don't think they are from mice! The mice droppings that were in my house were tiny tiny black specks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Absolutely rat droppings. No doubt. As for mice, I agree about the mars. Use the caramel to hold it in place with choc side up. I also re use the traps several times.

Its one thing mice, I can handle them, but RATS???

What kind of bait attracts them, and will the normal mouse traps kill them, or will they just make them angry? They are disgusting creatures.... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

We had one die in the wall. Smell for a month and a half was brutal. Thankfully gone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Parents had bird feed in those feed cage things in the back one day turned the lights on saw about 4 rats on the wall and one trying to jump onto the cage

Tobad I didn't have. BB gun

• Advertisement

Its one thing mice, I can handle them, but RATS???

What kind of bait attracts them, and will the normal mouse traps kill them, or will they just make them angry? They are disgusting creatures.... :o
    If a mousetrap went off while a rat was on it the rat would probably catch the arm with one hand and laugh as he ate the bait. If you want to catch a rat don't use poison. Use a rat trap. It's a much bigger version of the basic mouse trap. Also tie it to something cause sometimes the rat might only be partially caught and run off with the trap attached and die in a place you can't find. Horrible smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is that the attic or between the floors. If it is the attic and you put down poison you may find that it ends up dying in the water tank that you use for showering etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Dtp79 wrote: »
    If a mousetrap went off while a rat was on it the rat would probably catch the arm with one hand and laugh as he ate the bait. If you want to catch a rat don't use poison. Use a rat trap. It's a much bigger version of the basic mouse trap. Also tie it to something cause sometimes the rat might only be partially caught and run off with the trap attached and die in a place you can't find. Horrible smell.

Mate had a rat die in the attic. The stench actually was coming down the stairs and when we opened the attic door. "London Jasus" It really catches in the back of your throat, nasty buggers. My grandad used to have rat traps that had a big nasty serated edge like a guillotine on the trap side razor sharp, Aint seen them recently I guess they would be illegal these days :cool:

ted1 wrote: »
    Is that the attic or between the floors. If it is the attic and you put down poison you may find that it ends up dying in the water tank that you use for showering etc.

Its in the attic, but in the attic of the extension, so there is no access from there into the 'main' attic with the water tank. Apparently the poison will make them thirsty and then they will leave the way they came in, thats according to me aul fella??

I mixed a biscuit in, would that be strong enough bait to attract them, or would I want to move onto nutella or something like that?

Is it true that if you have rats the Corporation or local county council must come and help sort it out as its a health hazard to the locailty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

If you have a rat problem and use snap-traps to snare/kill, make sure the rats cannot move off with it and die under the flooring. Screw it down to the floor or use a box-type trap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

INSTALL CAT!!!!!!:eek:

INSTALL CAT!!!!!!:eek:

but the dog doesn't like cats..... and the dog is scared of fecking spiders!

but the dog doesn't like cats..... and the dog is scared of fecking spiders!

what are the spiders afraid of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

Oh Boy! You do have problems!... I think you have got to a state where you require professional help.. Don't delay, in a nice warm environment they will breed like hell

Oh Boy! You do have problems!... I think you have got to a state where you require professional help.. Don't delay, in a nice warm environment they will breed like hell

I put down the poison 2 days ago, and there was no movement last night... dont be freaking me out, like a poster a while ago saying they could be in the water tank! I went up to check before I had a shower, freaked out ta f*ck. If there is any movement over the weekend, the professionals are in on Monday morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

If you have poison down watch out for the change of colour of the droppings. I think rats go outside to die once poison taken. Nothing worse to have, you will have to find how they got in and seal it up good!

tracey1098 wrote: »
    If you have poison down watch out for the change of colour of the droppings. I think rats go outside to die once poison taken. Nothing worse to have, you will have to find how they got in and seal it up good!

Yeah, I was out looking at the roof, and I reckon they came in where the tv cables come in under the lead around the chimney as it wasn't put down flat after the installation, and there is a bit of a bulge so they could come in there.. but other than that, I'm clueless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

Could be. Rats will climb drain pipes etc. Have a good check around the outside of the house, seal up and hopefully this will stop them getting in. No point in putting poison down all the time if they can get in, have to stop them getting in! Good luck!

Is there an uninsulated space between the (outer brick and inner block) walls in your house? The neighbour found the litle divils were accessing between the cement sill and window frame in one room, then heading up the space (evidence was fibreglass being pulled out between the sill and frame - the infill was gone).
    It's possible for them to access the roof space this way, check the felting beneath the tiles/slates for holes (you'll feel the breeze)

Wear gloves, mask etc, when removing dead rats, etc and use hoover extension hose to remove droppings.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Is there an uninsulated space between the (outer brick and inner block) walls in your house? The neighbour found the litle divils were accessing between the cement sill and window frame in one room, then heading up the space (evidence was fibreglass being pulled out between the sill and frame - the infill was gone).
    It's possible for them to access the roof space this way, check the felting beneath the tiles/slates for holes (you'll feel the breeze)

Wear gloves, mask etc, when removing dead rats, etc and use hoover extension hose to remove droppings.

there is pumped insulation, the beads, which Im sure they could just push out of their way, so they could be coming in through the wall somewhere i presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KR93

eor123, you have no chance, give up, those rats have the better of you and when you are asleep they will attack your face. Good luck my friend.

Mate had a rat die in the attic. The stench actually was coming down the stairs and when we opened the attic door. "London Jasus" It really catches in the back of your throat, nasty buggers. My grandad used to have rat traps that had a big nasty serated edge like a guillotine on the trap side razor sharp, Aint seen them recently I guess they would be illegal these days :cool:
    Ye I remember those traps. Serious stuff. Like a smaller version of a bear trap

• Site Banned Posts: 13 Chunkycw

Rolo sweets!!! i caught 3 mice on Wed within 5 hours!!

Chunkycw wrote: »
    Rolo sweets!!! i caught 3 mice on Wed within 5 hours!!
    Ah you just got lucky. They were probably just having their Xmas party when you came along

set traps with a bit of a snickers bar yesterday, the rat got lucky as the trap went off but he got away! prob too much bait on it, so I took off the snickers and put nutella in the middle of the thing they eat it off, so hopefully he isnt smart, and he falls for it tonight!

• Advertisement
Advertisement