Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,577 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is that the attic or between the floors. If it is the attic and you put down poison you may find that it ends up dying in the water tank that you use for showering etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Dtp79 wrote: »
    If a mousetrap went off while a rat was on it the rat would probably catch the arm with one hand and laugh as he ate the bait. If you want to catch a rat don't use poison. Use a rat trap. It's a much bigger version of the basic mouse trap. Also tie it to something cause sometimes the rat might only be partially caught and run off with the trap attached and die in a place you can't find. Horrible smell.

Mate had a rat die in the attic. The stench actually was coming down the stairs and when we opened the attic door. "London Jasus" It really catches in the back of your throat, nasty buggers. My grandad used to have rat traps that had a big nasty serated edge like a guillotine on the trap side razor sharp, Aint seen them recently I guess they would be illegal these days :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭eor123

ted1 wrote: »
    Is that the attic or between the floors. If it is the attic and you put down poison you may find that it ends up dying in the water tank that you use for showering etc.

Its in the attic, but in the attic of the extension, so there is no access from there into the 'main' attic with the water tank. Apparently the poison will make them thirsty and then they will leave the way they came in, thats according to me aul fella??

I mixed a biscuit in, would that be strong enough bait to attract them, or would I want to move onto nutella or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Is it true that if you have rats the Corporation or local county council must come and help sort it out as its a health hazard to the locailty?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,781 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

If you have a rat problem and use snap-traps to snare/kill, make sure the rats cannot move off with it and die under the flooring. Screw it down to the floor or use a box-type trap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

INSTALL CAT!!!!!!:eek:

INSTALL CAT!!!!!!:eek:

but the dog doesn't like cats..... and the dog is scared of fecking spiders!

eor123 wrote: »
    but the dog doesn't like cats..... and the dog is scared of fecking spiders!

what are the spiders afraid of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

Oh Boy! You do have problems!... I think you have got to a state where you require professional help.. Don't delay, in a nice warm environment they will breed like hell

Oh Boy! You do have problems!... I think you have got to a state where you require professional help.. Don't delay, in a nice warm environment they will breed like hell

I put down the poison 2 days ago, and there was no movement last night... dont be freaking me out, like a poster a while ago saying they could be in the water tank! I went up to check before I had a shower, freaked out ta f*ck. If there is any movement over the weekend, the professionals are in on Monday morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

If you have poison down watch out for the change of colour of the droppings. I think rats go outside to die once poison taken. Nothing worse to have, you will have to find how they got in and seal it up good!

tracey1098 wrote: »
    If you have poison down watch out for the change of colour of the droppings. I think rats go outside to die once poison taken. Nothing worse to have, you will have to find how they got in and seal it up good!

Yeah, I was out looking at the roof, and I reckon they came in where the tv cables come in under the lead around the chimney as it wasn't put down flat after the installation, and there is a bit of a bulge so they could come in there.. but other than that, I'm clueless!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

Could be. Rats will climb drain pipes etc. Have a good check around the outside of the house, seal up and hopefully this will stop them getting in. No point in putting poison down all the time if they can get in, have to stop them getting in! Good luck!

Is there an uninsulated space between the (outer brick and inner block) walls in your house? The neighbour found the litle divils were accessing between the cement sill and window frame in one room, then heading up the space (evidence was fibreglass being pulled out between the sill and frame - the infill was gone).
    It's possible for them to access the roof space this way, check the felting beneath the tiles/slates for holes (you'll feel the breeze)

Wear gloves, mask etc, when removing dead rats, etc and use hoover extension hose to remove droppings.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Is there an uninsulated space between the (outer brick and inner block) walls in your house? The neighbour found the litle divils were accessing between the cement sill and window frame in one room, then heading up the space (evidence was fibreglass being pulled out between the sill and frame - the infill was gone).
    It's possible for them to access the roof space this way, check the felting beneath the tiles/slates for holes (you'll feel the breeze)

Wear gloves, mask etc, when removing dead rats, etc and use hoover extension hose to remove droppings.

there is pumped insulation, the beads, which Im sure they could just push out of their way, so they could be coming in through the wall somewhere i presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KR93

eor123, you have no chance, give up, those rats have the better of you and when you are asleep they will attack your face. Good luck my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Mate had a rat die in the attic. The stench actually was coming down the stairs and when we opened the attic door. "London Jasus" It really catches in the back of your throat, nasty buggers. My grandad used to have rat traps that had a big nasty serated edge like a guillotine on the trap side razor sharp, Aint seen them recently I guess they would be illegal these days :cool:
    Ye I remember those traps. Serious stuff. Like a smaller version of a bear trap

• Site Banned Posts: 13 Chunkycw

Rolo sweets!!! i caught 3 mice on Wed within 5 hours!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Chunkycw wrote: »
    Rolo sweets!!! i caught 3 mice on Wed within 5 hours!!
    Ah you just got lucky. They were probably just having their Xmas party when you came along

set traps with a bit of a snickers bar yesterday, the rat got lucky as the trap went off but he got away! prob too much bait on it, so I took off the snickers and put nutella in the middle of the thing they eat it off, so hopefully he isnt smart, and he falls for it tonight!

• Advertisement

You forgot the flies, the flies. They enjoy a good breeding feeding spot.

Advertisement