Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

57 min 10k to 50 min 10k

Options
  • 20-11-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Male, 15 stone.married-2 kids.
    Jogged for around 6 to 8 months aimlessly last year, and took the last 6 months off , to drink/eat/stay up late watching TV etc.

Now ready to get back jogging.

Goal: to do a 10K early in 2013 under 50 min.

How: by getting out 3 to 4 times a week, loose around 2 stone, and generally eat healthier in the process.Mind you, I still will have a few beers to keep my sanity.

jogging starting this evening, hopefully.

last race was 2 weeks ago where i did a 5miler in a disappointing 47 mins.this is the motivation to get back training

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

My thanks and comments added to ensure you know people are watching (pressure intended :) )

I am married, two kids, travel with work, and many other small things that get in the way of me being a great athlete......hmmm or at least a well trained average athlete. However, I've found that doing my runs in the morning leaves less opportunity for life's hurdles to get in the way. Means going to bed earlier, and watching less tv, but since it's reality tv season, I'm currently fine with that.

Best of luck with the training & the log

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

thanks..... pressure accepted! challenge is well and truely down.

started off yesterday with a handy 4 mile jog.Wet and miserable, and i was miserable too.

mile 1 9.24
    slight downhill at first, took it nice and handy to see if legs still work after months off

mile 2 9.56
    realised that I'm totally out of shape.I mean totally.
    5 months ago I could have been putting in an 8.30 mile here, or 8 min mile, but anyway, as not to get too depressed about it I just said its glad to be getting out at all, and imagine if I ad let it go til after Christmas.

mile 3 10.13

now depression sets in.
    I haven't been this slow for 2 years, but then again I was only keeping the legs ticking over slowly to make sure I'd make it home without stopping.
    My brain kept thinking about where I was a few months ago, and not thinking about the present.I must forget about where it all went wrong this year, and just move on.

Mile 4 9.37
    pushed it on a little to ensure that I'd do the 4 in under 40 minutes, as I don't know if I'd ever jog again.I'd walk 4 or 5 miles @ 14 min pace, so couldn't imagine how hard it was to keep the legs going.
    Amazing really , what a few months of eating and drinking rubbish can do.
    Shame on the kids for sharing treats with their Dad, even if sometimes I was eating their treats with them being fast asleep.
    All their fault really isn't it?

Next run @ 8am tomorrow.
    I'ts going to be 4 miles @ 9min 15 pace.
    No ifs and buts about it.

last sunday

4 miles 39 min.

nothing since!

pity, but haven't given up hope yet

work has really been in the way his week.

today
    4 miles 39min 18 sec.

Slow, very slow, but glad to get it in at all.
    came home then to watch Britton win a god and he girls win the team event.all good really.

Advertisement