Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to Land Registration Fees

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

No wonder. If there's no houses/not enough houses being bought, it wouldn't surprise me if some practices are going under simply from the lack of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

seamusmacc wrote: »
    Banned for quoting the Irish Independent.

:pac:

No, honestly, the title is misleading, so I'm editing it. Only the registration fees are changing.

Nobody is banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Shield wrote: »
    it wouldn't surprise me if some practices are going under simply from the lack of business.

I'm sure you're right, but these increases go to the government, and are not part of the legal fees that the solicitor charges.

So this will not help prevent practices from going under.

It's not a major cost in the grand scheme of things, but people are struggling enough as it is, and the cost should be going down, as so much of the work has moved from paper to electronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mactheknife19

Can anyone answer this question for me, and if possible something I can present to the solicitor.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 96350.html

The article above references the changes in Land Register fees. The date of the changes is Dec 1st. The house purchase will happen this week, but the Account bill shows 800 (not the previous 625). Is he right to charge 800. Can you say something along the lines of the Land Register will not happen for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭cassiedoll

the new fees come in to effect from the 1st of dec. If your sale is due to complete next week, Friday will be the 30th of November, and stamp duty needs to be paid prior to registering deeds with the Property Registration Authority as you have to give your stamp duty reference number to the PRA. So your solicitor does not have the luxury of a few weeks to make the application

It states on the application form from the PRA "The calculated fees will apply until the 30th of November. If this application is lodged after this date, the new Fees Order will apply and fees should be re-calculated"

Therefore your deeds need to be physically in the PRA prior to the 30th or on the 30th and if your Solicitor does not think this will happen, then that is why you have been charged the €800

• Advertisement

cassiedoll wrote: »
    the new fees come in to effect from the 1st of dec. If your sale is due to complete next week, Friday will be the 30th of November, and stamp duty needs to be paid prior to registering deeds with the Property Registration Authority as you have to give your stamp duty reference number to the PRA. So your solicitor does not have the luxury of a few weeks to make the application

It states on the application form from the PRA "The calculated fees will apply until the 30th of November. If this application is lodged after this date, the new Fees Order will apply and fees should be re-calculated"

Therefore your deeds need to be physically in the PRA prior to the 30th or on the 30th and if your Solicitor does not think this will happen, then that is why you have been charged the €800

Ok, but if I close this Thursday / Friday (22nd / 23rd) is that sufficent time for the solicitor to pay stamp duty and give it to the PRA

honestly, it could be done but you would need to check with your solicitor on a daily basis to make sure it is all going to plan. Stamp duty would have to be paid the day you get the keys, stamp duty cert normally issues within 24 hours and then apply to the PRA the second you get the stamp duty cert.

for example, if your solicitor is based in Dublin, they can bring the necessary documents in to the Property Registration Authority personally to make sure that you get your fees at the old rate.

Hope you get everything sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

Ok, but if I close this Thursday / Friday (22nd / 23rd) is that sufficent time for the solicitor to pay stamp duty and give it to the PRA

Yes, plenty of time to pay the lower fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kristinew

I have paid the higher fee as per my invoice from my solicitor as i didnt know at the time about the deadline. When i met me solicitor he told me about the deadline and said he was aiming to have it all closed asap to avoid the extra fee's and that if it happens that he will be issuing a refund.

i'd imagine your solicitor is thinking the same thing and just covering all bases as mine did with me. best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Threads merged

• Advertisement

did you get your keys mactheknife?

cassiedoll wrote: »
    did you get your keys mactheknife?

Still have not signed yet (hopefully this week).........I actually have the keys as I already live in the house

Advertisement