Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for used car dealers

Options
  • 20-11-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi guys I know this post belongs in the motor section but im hoping that I will get a quicker and more detailed answer here, anyway my girlfriend is getting her first car this weekend and we are going to go searching this weekend, could anyone recommend some used car dealers in waterford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

donedeal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Depends on the budget. Paddy Halleys just over the bridge would be for a cheap run around.
    As already said donedeal with the Eddie Gary selling with 3 months warranty.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4132043 seems a cheap run around.

Test drive loads of cars to find one she likes

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

I bought from Paul a couple of months ago and no problems at all

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

the budget is pretty important. If it's a first car, you probably aren't spending more than €3k at a complete guess? If it were me, I'd be looking at donedeal. Bring someone who knows their stuff to view the car and see what you can turn up. I do know a lad that trades in cars and has a yard out towards woodstown. I've bought a few cars off him in the past and it has worked out well, but there is always a risk when buying older stuff so again, bring someone that knows what they are looking at!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Deisedarren

shayp83 wrote: »
    Hi guys I know this post belongs in the motor section but im hoping that I will get a quicker and more detailed answer here, anyway my girlfriend is getting her first car this weekend and we are going to go searching this weekend, could anyone recommend some used car dealers in waterford

My girlfriend has bought a couple of cars off John walsh car sales on witches lane. She never had a problem with them. Glad chap to deal with too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

As already said, budget is where you have to look.

There should be no problem buying a second hand car at the moment its a buyers market, unfortunately some people are desperate at the moment and desperation is bad aswell for the buyer cos thats when lies are told as people are so stuck.

Make sure you know what to ask about the car service history previous owners timing belt and pump etc etc. Id suggest a 1.4 golf as a starter motor or something similar best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭shayp83

Thanks lads we got a nice opel corsa off nick falvey in piltown fingers crossed we dont get an problems with it

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Wouldn't recommend buying from Donedeal, you're better off buying from an actual dealer, least you've some comeback if something goes wrong. I bought from Atlantic Autos on old Tramore Road last Feb, Paul is good to deal with, I bought an 02 car and got six month warranty, he also organised and paid for NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Wouldn't recommend buying from Donedeal, you're better off buying from an actual dealer, least you've some comeback if something goes wrong. I bought from Atlantic Autos on old Tramore Road last Feb, Paul is good to deal with, I bought an 02 car and got six month warranty, he also organised and paid for NCT.

I bought a car from him last year and very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭banjacksed

Be warned if your buying from donedeal ask the person a couple of quick questions.

1, how long the person selling the car has it himself/herself for and history.

2, Is the car in the name of the person selling it.

3, Ask for detailed photographs of the car before going looking at it.

Trust me over 90% of sellers on donedeal are in the trade in some way either legally or black market money. Their is a lot of crap cars out their on that site and the photos can be very misleading and will be very dissapointing when you go to see a car that has being described as "very clean" "mint" some have starship millage on them.

Im not going to reccomend any dealer on this site as have dealt with loads of them over the years,

My best advice would be deal with a main dealer not sub dealers as these get the trowoffs from the main dealers, try get something with small mileage one owner, less than 50,000 miles.
    You will pay a little more but it will stand to you in time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Depends on the budget. Paddy Halleys just over the bridge would be for a cheap run around.
    As already said donedeal with the Eddie Gary selling with 3 months warranty.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4132043 seems a cheap run around.

Test drive loads of cars to find one she likes

I was in Waterford a few months ago and needed to get my car washed. I popped into Eddie Garry's place, the chap cleaning cars did a fantastic job.
    While I was there I noticed a number of cars for sale on the forecourt. I was very impressed at the way they were presented. Irrespective of age , make model, they were spotless. Furthermore I was very impressed with the overall presentation of his tyre centre too. They say first impressions last, for me if I was in Waterford And looking for a car I would call to this garage first.
    He also appears to turn over his stock fairly quickly , have noticed cars he has advertised on Donedeal which are sold within a couple of weeks.
    Don't know anymore about them than that, my wife even commented about the general presentation of the garage and the cars. Certainly worth a look.:)

I was in Waterford a few months ago and needed to get my car washed. I popped into Eddie Garry's place, the chap cleaning cars did a fantastic job.
    While I was there I noticed a number of cars for sale on the forecourt. I was very impressed at the way they were presented. Irrespective of age , make model, they were spotless. Furthermore I was very impressed with the overall presentation of his tyre centre too. They say first impressions last, for me if I was in Waterford And looking for a car I would call to this garage first.
    He also appears to turn over his stock fairly quickly , have noticed cars he has advertised on Donedeal which are sold within a couple of weeks.
    Don't know anymore about them than that, my wife even commented about the general presentation of the garage and the cars. Certainly worth a look.:)

Ha ha comon Eddy you cant fool us that easy!

banjacksed wrote: »
    Be warned if your buying from donedeal ask the person a couple of quick questions.

1, how long the person selling the car has it himself/herself for and history.

2, Is the car in the name of the person selling it.

3, Ask for detailed photographs of the car before going looking at it.

Trust me over 90% of sellers on donedeal are in the trade in some way either legally or black market money. Their is a lot of crap cars out their on that site and the photos can be very misleading and will be very dissapointing when you go to see a car that has being described as "very clean" "mint" some have starship millage on them.

Im not going to reccomend any dealer on this site as have dealt with loads of them over the years,

My best advice would be deal with a main dealer not sub dealers as these get the trowoffs from the main dealers, try get something with small mileage one owner, less than 50,000 miles.
    You will pay a little more but it will stand to you in time.

I agree with you 100 percent, I was in VW and test drove a car that was a trade in, and was soon to be sent to a dealer to be cleaned and sold what a bucket, i told him that it was an end of life car and should have been scrapped and he said i know but theres dealers out there that will take it and polish it and sell it.

Dont forget to ask people if your buying a car is there finance outstanding on the car, Friend of mine went to see an opel corsa 08 or 09 and it was very very cheap, the car failed my inspection and i told her not to go for it but i asked the guy was there finance still left on it and he said yeah just 3000 but my daughter moved to Australia and she couldnt afford the car. In law this Debt would go to the knew owner or not the debt the car may be retrieved by court oder and you would lose your money!

You cant be too careful its a mine field out there now, lots of other nationalities who know other tricks from other countries theres a recession on and money is hard to come by so there will always be a criminal element and chance of being ripped!

If you can get a car from a main stealer great but not all people can do that, just read up on it and be very very maticulous!

Ha ha comon Eddy you cant fool us that easy!

Obviously you know more.
    I was simply in Waterford Castle for a few days R&R and needed to get my car washed.
    I thought it was 2 people Eddie & Garry.
    Perhaps you may wish to enlighten us ?:)

Thanks Guys,

Wow! Shocking stuff.

Old story, never judge the book by the cover.

Gosh there are so few Garages left to deal with, and so fewer still garages one can actually do business with.

Even buying new can be a nightmare!:)

Thanks Guys,

Wow! Shocking stuff.

Old story, never judge the book by the cover.

Gosh there are so few Garages left to deal with, and so fewer still garages one can actually do business with.

Even buying new can be a nightmare!:)

I useta be an old car person, when i say old car i mean 15 20 years max, I had a car i had to let go cos there was underbody rust which was becoming an Issue when i was going to NCT the other was decent but needed regular maintainance which costs money, These cars were great but i wanted more reliability so i bought a newer car from a dealer, 1 year after buying the car the price had dropped from €9000 to €6000, thats what i was getting if i went back to the garage for a trade in, but the other problem was that there are 3 other problems i need to fix with this car which will cost me about 1000 euro in total, so new cars arent built like the old ones!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Folks, just a general reminder. Please be careful what you post about specific garages or garages as a whole. Accusing them as doing X Y or Z (an illegal act) without proof will be removed. Such comments can be very damaging and its not up to Boards.ie to be judge and jury. It may also prove costly for Boards.ie in the event of any legal action being taken as a result of such posts. Any questions, send us a PM. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭spokesman

Sully wrote: »
    Folks, just a general reminder. Please be careful what you post about specific garages or garages as a whole. Accusing them as doing X Y or Z (an illegal act) without proof will be removed. Such comments can be very damaging and its not up to Boards.ie to be judge and jury. It may also prove costly for Boards.ie in the event of any legal action being taken as a result of such posts. Any questions, send us a PM. Thanks.

I have proof:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moose3844

You should try Fogarty on the kilmacow road

spokesman wrote: »
    I have proof:D

Its amazing how you were warned about this and yet you still persisted, maybe's if that had hud been anybody else we would be in trouble, consistancy is nice.

• Advertisement

I suppose buying a second hand car anywhere is a risk, its a used machine with perishabil interior parts that arent always changed and some parts cannot be seen by a quick inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

buyer beware on tv3 tonight would open your eyes at whats being touted around , best at least to buy local , no service history no deal....

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭spokesman

Its amazing how you were warned about this and yet you still persisted, maybe's if that had hud been anybody else we would be in trouble, consistancy is nice.

I agree

Theres a guy who sells cars on Donedeal from Dugaravan i think it is, he has some good deals on there, havent heard any bad comments about him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭reginald

Bought my car out in Atlantic autos a few months back and its been perfect, young fella called Richie working out there was very helpful, put a new NCT on the car for me and have had no issues as of yet. Good selection to choose from too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

here on boards there is a thread called bangernomics, a few people involved in car sales give their opinion for free each day, study it, ask questions, as the folk over there like to impress.

flutered wrote: »
    here on boards there is a thread called bangernomics, a few people involved in car sales give their opinion for free each day, study it, ask questions, as the folk over there like to impress.

Bangernomics is actually the title of a book, The main idea of it is that its better for the environment and beter for your wallet to keep and old car and just keep it well maintained and looked after, its not better for the environment to buy a brand new car every 5 years( if you could afford to) think about the amount of carbon emmissions continually churned out from the automative industry. Thats the philosophy of this book any way and its one i agree totally with.

If i could find a good base car to begin with, wihtout too many electrics id buy it and do all the usaul service work and it should in theory be okay! bar rust and the like.

flutered wrote: »

Yes it is an interesting thread. There are a number of genuine guys who appear to know a bit about cars and a few whom I would not wish to rattle their cages!:)

Advertisement