Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music you just don't get

Options
  • 20-11-2012 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Everyone has their bands/artists who are held by many in high esteem, or have become hugely successful/influential, but they just don't get their appeal.

So what (if any) particular bands/artists have you listened to, but not completely understood their appeal/popularity.

As time goes on, I go back to a particular bands catalogue and try to give them more chances.

Right now, for me it would be;

The Pixies - have listened to their entire back catalogue once or twice and didn't understand their popularity

The Monks - listened to their only album once, liked one song and haven't gotten back to the whole record since

Kanye West - while I've learned to appreciate certain rap artists, like Chuck D, P.O.S etc I still don't understand Kanye's appeal, a mate calls him a genius, I don't get it

Orbital - like some songs, but not as much as I'd like Kratwerk, Aphex Twin etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

I don't get the music of Tom Waits. Got a lend of a few albums of a friend and couldn't get into them. I actually prefer his acting roles to his music.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Led Zeppelin
    Queen
    AC/DC
    U2
    Talking Heads (to a lesser extent. I like them but I don't see why they're held so highly)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Justin10

Dubstep :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Nirvana. Never got it. Sounds like a dude half singing half mumbling over generic rock.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

I don't get Tony Conrad's music?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Most indie music. It all sounds pretty much the same with lead guitar being played by one of those singers with the whiny voice, drums, bass and a rhythm guitar. Just don't get the appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Dante

Morrissey. I genuinely don't understand how people swear by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Dubstep :mad:

If by Dubstep you actually mean that nonsense that is known as "brostep" well yeah I agree. but on the other hand the likes of Burial and Zomby make beautiful and real Dubstep IMO.

I'm not trying to be some kind of music snob, but I find nearly everything that's mainstream quite repulsive. I mean that crap they play on the feckin radio day in and day out, it's brutal! I personally don't trust the general publics taste in music. Like when I click on a video on YouTube with a million clicks, which is totally generic muck compared to a video with about a thousand clicks that is totally original and creative.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭zyanya

You will all want to throw a lynching mob at me, but yesterday, as I listened to, I thought of how immune I seem to be to the charms of "Stairway to Heaven". 'haps I need to be stoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So called R 'n B which is now so far from its roots as to be something else these days.
    Shoe-gaze type stuff and what tends to be passed off as "indie".

Oh and Michael Buble of course!

/loads machine gun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Honestly don't get Led Zeppelin either. Just find it difficult to sit through their music.
    AC/DC and Guns n' Roses - I will never understand how either of them became so popular.
    I could take or leave Pink Floyd, don't hate them, don't love them.
    I'm a bit meh on Springsteen too.
    Most metal, to be honest. Not that I think they're bad musicians or anything. It's just a type of music that I can't get into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

AC/DC
    U2
    Elvis
    Bob Dylan
    Sex Pistols
    Rolling Stones

I know ther's loads more but I can't think of them right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Probably ska-punk. Bands like Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish make me cringe. Even the old-school bands like Operation Ivy do nothing for me. It would probably appeal more to me if I grew up in sunny Florida but it's not something I can relate to.
    Lukebray wrote: »
    Most indie music. It all sounds pretty much the same with lead guitar being played by one of those singers with the whiny voice, drums, bass and a rhythm guitar. Just don't get the appeal
    What a well thought-out post. So you're saying that The Jesus & Mary Chain sound like Fleet Foxes. Right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Gillian1

Anything that raps about b*tches n hoes & All that yo yo motherfcuker in the house sh*t

And the Smiths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Emz93

Flo-Rida and Nicki Minaj.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The Doors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Probably ska-punk. Bands like Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish make me cringe. Even the old-school bands like Operation Ivy do nothing for me. It would probably appeal more to me if I grew up in sunny Florida but it's not something I can relate to.

What a well thought-out post. So you're saying that The Jesus & Mary Chain sound like Fleet Foxes. Right...

no, I'm not saying they sound alike. MOST indie bands sound alike though. Those such as KOL, Oasis and The Script have very similar sounds/markets that they appeal to.

The point still stands though, I don't like indie music even though most do. And however different the bands you mentioned above sound, I still don't like them because it's not really a different sound at the end of the day. There's nothing groundbreaking or different about them.

Go listen to some Skrillex and you'll see what I'm talking about...................................

no, I'm not saying they sound alike. MOST indie bands sound alike though. Those such as KOL, Oasis and The Script have very similar sounds/markets that they appeal to.

The point still stands though, I don't like indie music even though most do. And however different the bands you mentioned above sound, I still don't like them because it's not really a different sound at the end of the day. There's nothing groundbreaking or different about them.
    But Kings Of Leon, Oasis and The Script aren't indie bands, they're pop bands (okay perhaps Oasis were in the beginning).

Saying that all indie music sounds the same is the same as saying that all electronic music sounds the same or that all metal sounds the same, which of course is certainly not true and I've listened to enough music in those genres to know this. The term 'indie' is a really loose term anyway that covers a huge range of musical styles, so there's no way that most indie bands can sound the same. If you're saying there's never been anything groundbreaking in the 30+ years of indie music history then you haven't heard anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,334 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Go listen to some Skrillex and you'll see what I'm talking about...................................

The Script indie? GTFO!

Kings of Leon first 2 albums, Oasis first album, I'll give you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

On Kanye, yes, he really is a fantastic producer. He is very musically talented and just 'has it'. I've watched some videos of him in the studio on Youtube making beats and recording parts on the keyboard and he is that good. I view him as a producer first and foremost but he is a pretty decent rapper too.

I watched past interviews of him when he was blowing up and about his hype etc. and he came across as a complete up his own a55 dude but if you are that talented it's not really being boastful, it's just telling it how it is.

Despite his talent he definitely isn't everyone's cup of tea and that's fair enough.

• Advertisement

On Kanye, yes, he really is a fantastic producer. He is very musically talented and just 'has it'. I've watched some videos of him in the studio on Youtube making beats and recording parts on the keyboard and he is that good. I view him as a producer first and foremost but he is a pretty decent rapper too.

I watched past interviews of him when he was blowing up and about his hype etc. and he came across as a complete up his own a55 dude but if you are that talented it's not really being boastful, it's just telling it how it is.

Despite his talent he definitely isn't everyone's cup of tea and that's fair enough.

He's a complete asshole, but he's definitely got talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Zero1986 wrote: »
    But Kings Of Leon, Oasis and The Script aren't indie bands, they're pop bands (okay perhaps Oasis were in the beginning).

Saying that all indie music sounds the same is the same as saying that all electronic music sounds the same or that all metal sounds the same, which of course is certainly not true and I've listened to enough music in those genres to know this. The term 'indie' is a really loose term anyway that covers a huge range of musical styles, so there's no way that most indie bands can sound the same. If you're saying there's never been anything groundbreaking in the 30+ years of indie music history then you haven't heard anything.

There's no denying that there is a lot of bands out there with a homogenised, generic 'indie' sound: The Kooks, Razorlight and the likes who commandeer the middle ground, just as the same can be said about electronic music, rap music, etc… Just like anything, a bit of research will uncover the gems but sometimes that barrier of blandness can stop you bothering to brush up on your knowledge of a genre. Tbh, I was an avid indie listener when I was younger but I'm not really hearing a lot out there that I'm finding that terribly interesting. That said, I'm not really keeping as active a lookout for what I considered good indie music as I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

karaokeman wrote: »
    Orbital - like some songs, but not as much as I'd like Kratwerk, Aphex Twin etc.

Point of entry is important with Orbital, It think. Start off with the 'Brown' album and you can't go wrong. Then on to Snivilisation, Insides, The 'Green' Album and The Middle of Nowhere. The Altogether and the 'Blue' Album never really done anything for me and the new album Wonky is just terrible. So start with the 'Brown' album which I'd rate as one of the greatest techno albums ever made.

There's no denying that there is a lot of bands out there with a homogenised, generic 'indie' sound: The Kooks, Razorlight and the likes who commandeer the middle ground, just as the same can be said about electronic music, rap music, etc… Just like anything, a bit of research will uncover the gems but sometimes that barrier of blandness can stop you bothering to brush up on your knowledge of a genre. Tbh, I was an avid indie listener when I was younger but I'm not really hiring a lot out there that I'm finding that terribly interesting. That said, I'm not really keeping as active a lookout for what I considered good indie music as I was.
    You've made some good points here. But then again bands with a generic 'indie' sound like The Kooks etc. are still only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the indie spectrum, it's just a matter of getting the passive listener to realise this. This is one of the main reasons why I really hate commercial radio as it doesn't do any genre of music justice and gives people the wrong impression of what that genre really is. I'm still a bit old-school when it comes to indie and alternative music but there's no denying that there's some good stuff around at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

With the exception of one or two songs, I just don't get Muse at all. I find their stuff underwhelming.

Modern R & B - if there's one thing that makes me listen to Muse, that genre is it! Not only do I not get this kind of stuff which is so prevalent I just find it plain irritating.

The Script is another example. I fail to find what is appealing about their sound - some bizarre mix of bland pop and bland indie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Modern R & B - if there's one thing that makes me listen to Muse, that genre is it! Not only do I not get this kind of stuff which is so prevalent I just find it plain irritating

Have you tried Frank Ocean's Channel Orange album? I usually don't like modern R&B either but I think that's a great album.

Suas11 wrote: »
    Have you tried Frank Ocean's Channel Orange album? I usually don't like modern R&B either but I think that's a great album.

Frank Ocean is one of the best artists to come out in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I have nothing against The Script, but I can't agree with them being an indie band, primarily because indie bands are those who start off on underground labels and The Script (at that time titled Mytown) released their first album on Universal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

He's a complete asshole, but he's definitely got talent.

I think I win the diplomacy test. :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

I think I win the diplomacy test. :pac::pac:

:D Well it's true! He's got to be one of the most inappropriate public figures out there. Some of the stuff he does and says is just completely lacking in any sense of decency. Some of his own output, I could take or leave, but he's a great producer, probably one of the best in music at the moment.

Advertisement