Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music you just don't get

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Nu Metal, Crossover and Hip Hop or Rap...not my piece of cake, so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Any of that easy-listening sh1t (Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin etc. ), Irish Country Music (all of it), current R & B, and 99.9% of current pop music (Gaga, Perry, etc.)

Other than that I could listen to anything - can't understand why anyone wouldn't like the Pixies though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Any of that easy-listening sh1t (Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin etc. ), Irish Country Music (all of it), current R & B, and 99.9% of current pop music (Gaga, Perry, etc.)

Other than that I could listen to anything - can't understand why anyone wouldn't like the Pixies though :D

Irish country music is a weird phenomenon. It's like fake country music. They all act and sound like they're from Texas or some place, but they're actually from Knock. Strange market, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Irish country music is a weird phenomenon. It's like fake country music. They all act and sound like they're from Texas or some place, but they're actually from Knock. Strange market, that.

What are you talking about? And which artists?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

TR Dallas would be one example

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Big Tom, Mike Denver and any of that crowd that peddle their wares to the blue rinse, incontinence brigade that flock to the local halls at the weekend. I have to hand it to them, if you have the same lack of shame that they have you can make a fortune from that crowd. How many contemporary bands in Ireland can you see being able to charge €30 and upwards for tickets to their concerts?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Big Tom, Mike Denver and any of that crowd that peddle their wares to the blue rinse, incontinence brigade that flock to the local halls at the weekend. I have to hand it to them, if you have the same lack of shame that they have you can make a fortune from that crowd. How many contemporary bands in Ireland can you see being able to charge €30 and upwards for tickets to their concerts?

Thanks. Wasn't aware of these fellas at all. Not too upset about it, kind of bizarre

Thanks. Wasn't aware of these fellas at all. Not too upset about it, kind of bizarre

There's definitely a market for it. My friend's grandmother loves it. It is odd how it's taken off here though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

I dont get rap for the most part . I know there are some decent rappers out there with an ear for music and something to say but most of them are people who wanted to get into music and learned the easiest instrument there is . The one string vocal .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I dont get rap for the most part . I know there are some decent rappers out there with an ear for music and something to say but most of them are people who wanted to get into music and learned the easiest instrument there is . The one string vocal .

I went through a period of 5 years not liking anything rap, that was until I delved further.

Most of the chart rappers nowadays are just used as a marketable device in dance songs, or are too engulfed in the melodic process to make their songs radio-friendly, its a very safe format and it doesn't offer a lot of variety for the listeners.

The best hip hop are the artists who have pushed the boundaries, and ventured into more styles than simplistic pop melodies. Check out some of what Public Enemy (the Sex Pistols of their genre) have done with The Bomb Squad in terms of sampling, and mixing numerous elements from other music in one song.

Yo! Bum Rush The Show is one of the best acclaimed hip hop albums, and this is a personal favourite of mine.

Yep if you take the vocalsalone though . And think of it as one string on a guitar . All they do is go from fret lets call it 1 to fret 3 and back .
    Do do do do do di . Do do do do do di .
    When you couple that in with it just being done over somebody elses disco track from the 70s it makes it a pretty remedial instrument . Up there with the marraccas and the triangle .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Yep if you take the vocalsalone though . And think of it as one string on a guitar . All they do is go from fret lets call it 1 to fret 3 and back .
    Do do do do do di . Do do do do do di .
    When you couple that in with it just being done over somebody elses disco track from the 70s it makes it a pretty remedial instrument . Up there with the marraccas and the triangle .
    You're completely missing the point here. You can't compare rapping with playing guitar, both require a completely different talent. The delivery is more rhythmic than melodic. You need to focus on what they're saying rather than how they say it. Think of them as poets or commentators rather than opera singers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Probably Bob Dylan, haven't investigated him but don't really have much desire to.

I think Snow Patrols music is very safe let's just say. They don't really push themselves to sound different or fresh. Pretty bland stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Lou Reed. To me it's just someone saying lyrics (sarcastically?) in a monotonous voice.
    Led Zeppelin. They register as Good Music to me, technically, but I've never actually had any song by them I've had to listen to.
    The National. For the same reason as Lou Reed, essentially, except I can't hear the words as well.
    Ella Fitzgerald. You have a version of a song by Billie Holiday, sung with passion and feeling that you'd almost cry, and then you hear Ella Fitzgerald do the same song and completely butcher it with her scat singing.
    The Pixies. Bar the odd song, they just do nothing for me.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    You're completely missing the point here. You can't compare rapping with playing guitar, both require a completely different talent. The delivery is more rhythmic than melodic. You need to focus on what they're saying rather than how they say it. Think of them as poets or commentators rather than opera singers.
    Ah but they never usually say anything of signifigance do they ?
    Therefore just a rythematic cha cha cha over a 70s groove .

Kinda like a tambourine .

How do you yourself define significance?

I would say social commentary about urban life, drugs, racism/oppression/revolution, peace and war are very significant issues and always will be.

Hmm okay its a social commentary .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

A lot of hip-hop acts are very politically and socially aware, I don't see how that's not significant. Compare that with bands like Dream Theater who might know how to play their instruments, but are pointless show-offs with nothing to say about our lives.

I don't know why you keep mentioning 70s grove and disco. The earliest hip-hop acts in the early-80s sampled 70s disco for their backing tracks, but from around the mid-80s onwards they tended to use more electronic and techno-based backing tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

the lyrical subjects really aren't that important in my opinion. i love listening to all kinds of rap, from conscious to straight up drugs/women/fighting/depravity. there's no need to rely on music for intellectual stimulation, well not the type that can easily be found elsewhere. if it sounds good, it's good music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Dubstep. It's all dutch to me.

You know absolutely nothing about hip hop and its roots if you really believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

And of course:

None of these lyrics are significant.

Say what you like about NWA, they addressed a point that really needed to be spoken about. You could argue they were just being as confrontational as possible, but they definitely got their point made, which was what needed to happen.

(Side note: "The ones with the Reebok pumps get their rumps rearranged for their change now they're down in the dumps" is my favourite rhyme ever.)

"But take off the gun so you can see what's up, and we'll go at it, punk, and I'm'a **** you up" is such a quality flow, too.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    A lot of hip-hop acts are very politically and socially aware, I don't see how that's not significant. Compare that with bands like Dream Theater who might know how to play their instruments, but are pointless show-offs with nothing to say about our lives.

I don't know why you keep mentioning 70s grove and disco. The earliest hip-hop acts in the early-80s sampled 70s disco for their backing tracks, but from around the mid-80s onwards they tended to use more electronic and techno-based backing tracks.
    The old funk/disco never stops being sampled to this day. George Clintons been done to death for example but that's not a bad thing. :)

rcaz wrote: »
    None of these lyrics are significant.

And of course, Public Enemy and NWA and Nas and the Fugees and Ice Cube and Rakim and Lauryn Hill and A Tribe Called Quest and Outkast and Wu-Tang and The Roots and many, many others never had anything significant to say. The radio and music channels don't do it justice at all (do they do any genre of music justice?), but hip hop continues to be an incredible medium of expression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Pretty much all pop music...

Oh, and especially Dub Step.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

never had anything significant to say

Damn right. All hip hop is emotionless drivel. Amirite?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

Overly-heavy music is lifeless, it's just complete over the top noise for the sake of noise. I really do not get dragonforce (seriously, who rates a guitarist by how fast they play?) I don't get anything to do with emo, at all.

"Baby, i can make one note sound like 500 notes"- BB King

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Rack city bitch
    Rack rack city bitch
    Ten ten ten twenties on yo titties birch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

rcaz wrote: »
    Damn right. All hip hop is emotionless drivel. Amirite?

Word.

I push my seed in her bush tonight...

Advertisement