Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music you just don't get

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

mike65 wrote: »
    So called R 'n B which is now so far from its roots as to be something else these days.
    Shoe-gaze type stuff and what tends to be passed off as "indie".

Oh and Michael Buble of course!

/loads machine gun

R 'n B is no longer rhythm and blues, it's called rhymes n bass, that's why it's a far cry from the roots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Dubstep. It's all dutch to me.
    It originated in London though ;)
    flyswatter wrote: »
    The old funk/disco never stops being sampled to this day. George Clintons been done to death for example but that's not a bad thing. :)
    I know there's still plenty of them using disco and funk backings, then again they pretty much use everything.
    johnROSS wrote: »
    Overly-heavy music is lifeless, it's just complete over the top noise for the sake of noise. I really do not get dragonforce (seriously, who rates a guitarist by how fast they play?) I don't get anything to do with emo, at all.

"Baby, i can make one note sound like 500 notes"- BB King
    The fact that you used Dragonforce as an example shows that you have listened to very little metal. Even metalheads hate Dragonforce. Not all metal is played fast by the way, it ranges in speed from funeral-pace (My Dying Bride) to warp speed (early Napalm Death). Why do some metal bands play so fast? Because some people get off on that. It's not noise for noise sake it has a purpose, it's an outpouring of aggression. I prefer my metal slow and heavy though, like Electric Wizard.

As regards emo are you referring to pop bands with eyeliner or the original 'revolution summer' bands? Because there's a vast difference between the two.
    Rack city bitch
    Rack rack city bitch
    Ten ten ten twenties on yo titties birch.
    You okay there buddy? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Yeah, it's funny with Dragon Force. They are either praised for their amazing technical guitar speed or completely hated on for it! Depends who you ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Dubstep. It's all dutch to me.

Garage and 2-Step where Dubstep originated from:

How it sounded in the beginning:

How it developed over the years:

But what most people think is dubstep:

The robot rape sound of commercial dubstep is a million miles away from where it came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I really, really don't get Nicki Minaj... she sounds like a dying cat? :confused:
    Also I never ever understood the whole boyband phenomenon. I've never heard a boyband that was actually half decent, especially the cheesy One Direction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Geo10 wrote: »
    I really, really don't get Nicki Minaj... she sounds like a dying cat? :confused:
    Also I never ever understood the whole boyband phenomenon. I've never heard a boyband that was actually half decent, especially the cheesy One Direction.

Agreed on Nicki Minaj. Also, Rihanna? How has she managed to become the biggest popstar on the planet? :confused:

On boybands, as long as there are prepubescent girls, there will be boybands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I hate all that pretentious Dylanish Rap **** and all boy bands sound exactly the same to me but then I'm not an adolescent teenage girl / boy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Think the appeal of Nicki Minaj is the whole mock GaGa side to her music and personae, she may not be a talented vocalist or rapper but she's very good at what she does. GaGa too is another artist I don't get, she's no better than the Black Eyed Peas, least they had one good pop album (Elefunk).

On One Direction, they are as generic/typical Boyband-like as you can get (how many songs sound like One Thing?), they are no different from all the rest, I don't see them in any way as half-decent, they also stole the riff from Grease. Take That have good pop songs though.

Take Thats newer stuff is very decent I feel. Like him or not, Gary Barlow is a talented songwriter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

karaokeman wrote: »
    don't get, she's no better than the Black Eyed Peas, least they had one good pop album (Elefunk).

The first Black Eyed Peas album, pre Fergie, is brilliant. Proper old school hip hop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0HqsIr6itk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

lordgoat wrote: »
    Word.

I push my seed in her bush tonight...

Such an amazing song. One of my favourites.

Have to laugh at it all really. In every one of these kind of threads someone always comes along and tries to say that rap is shít and only for idiots. Thankfully, every time they have been proven wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

Such an amazing song. One of my favourites.

Have to laugh at it all really. In every one of these kind of threads someone always comes along and tries to say that rap is shít and only for idiots. Thankfully, every time they have been proven wrong.
    Proven wrong?
    You cant prove if music is **** or not its subjective .
    I said I dont get . Posting wu tang clan videos and saying oh its a social commentary doesnt prove I get it .
    Its bad poetry over somebody elsesmusic . I stand by this .

Proven wrong?
    I said I dont get . Posting wu tang clan videos and saying oh its a social commentary doesnt prove I get it .

What a load of bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Proven wrong?

How can you say that an entire genre is "bad poetry"? :confused:

Apart from the revolution will not be televised I have yet to see anything Id call good poetry . Some of eminems stuff is good but its more funny riming than a social commentary .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

social commentary .

Why do you keep saying 'social commentary'? Is it not enough for a rapper to just tell a story really well?

The way Gab uses language is incredible, I haven't found anyone better. That tune in particular pulls together a scene so well, for me anyway.

rcaz wrote: »
    Why do you keep saying 'social commentary'? Is it not enough for a rapper to just tell a story really well?

The way Gab uses language is incredible, I haven't found anyone better. That tune in particular pulls together a scene so well, for me anyway.

You can't beat a good story-telling rap. Especially when artists as good as Ghostface Killah and Raekwon are involved.

This is a brilliant song. Have a read of the lyrics.

The Supreme Alphabet element in the song is pretty cool.
    Why Equality Self, I know the Master Allah Now
    It's time to get the God U and blow like mines

Ghostface can tell a story alright. He's amazing, I've heard some of his solo album Fishscale. That song Back like That with Ne-yo is a tune!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

You can't beat a good story-telling rap. Especially when artists as good as Ghostface Killah and Raekwon are involved.

This is a brilliant song. Have a read of the lyrics.

Can google translate do 'hood' ? Something about shooting someone?

Sounds like a bunch of scumbags to me, barely legible. I am amazed people actually like this stuff.

Oh yeah I don't get gansta rap.

Apart from the revolution will not be televised I have yet to see anything Id call good poetry . Some of eminems stuff is good but its more funny riming than a social commentary .

Something tells me that Eminem isn't really into rimming.

• Advertisement

Holy jaysus . Somebody linked up lyrics there with how good at storytelling ghostface is .
    One verse read .
    That girl rhona
    she drives a honda
    she has legs like jane fonda .

Compelling . Utterly compelling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Holy jaysus . Somebody linked up lyrics there with how good at storytelling ghostface is .
    One verse read .
    That girl rhona
    she drives a honda

I read that in the voice of Ice Cube from 'straight outta compton'

Pretty much all of Wu-Tang are great. I think Raekwon is probably my favourite, but Inspectah Deck's verse on Triumph is amazing.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses can't define how I be dropping these mockeries" has to be one of my favourite lyrics in any song.

Ghostface can tell a story alright. He's amazing, I've heard some of his solo album Fishscale. That song Back like That with Ne-yo is a tune!

Yea 'Fishscale' is brilliant. Listen to the rest of it. There are almost no weak tracks on it.

'Supreme Clientele' and 'Ironman' are just as amazing, if not better.

I read that in the voice of Ice Cube from 'straight outta compton'
    Did mama cook the breakfast with no hog in that one too .
    Buckbuckbuckbuck booyakasha.

Did mama cook the breakfast with no hog in that one too .
    Buckbuckbuckbuck booyakasha.

You have to remember, some of these guys came from backgrounds and ghettos with low education rates, pointing out the lack of vocabulary is missing the point.

They are still great rappers, there are some very literate rappers too. Like rcaz said, Gift of Gab is a good example. Rapping about chemical science formulas of all things!

Q Tip is also a very smart man.

All about context here.

So we are agreed its a basic use of the english language . Usually two notes (the rap) going back and forth over a sample .
    If I needed to bluff my way into the music biz I think thisd be the easiest skill to master .
    Now Im not saying its all bad or offensive to my ears . Im just saying I dont get it . I would feel silly putting a rap cd on .
    Each to their own and stuff .
    I have to go now . Ive been invited to a candy shop . Some big black guy wants to lick me lick a lollypop . Its cool though he was shot loads of times so Im sure hes cool .

One verse read .
    That girl rhona
    she drives a honda

Very easy to put on an air of condescension quoting something that is meant to be heard, with it's flow and structure, as opposed to read. Even Dylan felt a lot of his lyrics didn't hold up to scrutiny as poetry because they were there to serve the overall song. It's very easy to frame a part of lyric to support your argument that rap is drivel but it's utterly pointless because you're not actually engaging with it as an artform at all. I don't listen to a huge amount of rap as I have musical interests but I'm not blinkered enough to think it's all the same with all artists tackling the same issues with the same set of skills and same use of metre, flow and language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭m0ynihan

Coldplay - Just too bland
    Ac/Dc - His voice!
    Rise Against - Just look them up and you should agree...

• Advertisement

You have to remember, some of these guys came from backgrounds and ghettos with low education rates, pointing out the lack of vocabulary is missing the point.

They are still great rappers, there are some very literate rappers too. Like rcaz said, Gift of Gab is a good example. Rapping about chemical science formulas of all things!

Q Tip is also a very smart man.

All about context here.

Look up the GZA. He's mad into quantum physics. His next album is going to be inspired by it. It's called 'Dark Matter'.
    In GZA’s own words, “I recently met with quantum physicists who deepened my interest in the cosmos and gave me further inspiration for this next album” GZA said in a press statement. “I want to take my listeners on a journey through deep space and deconstruct the idea of science fiction."

http://www.factmag.com/2012/03/09/wu-tangs-gza-announces-new-album-inspired-by-quantum-physics/

He grew up in the 'ghetto'. Doesn't mean he's stupid.

Eminem dropped out of school and had to repeat one year 3 times, I think. He has some of the most lyrically complex songs I've heard.

Education stands for nothing in rap.

Advertisement