Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music you just don't get

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Okay good point, perhaps i should have said "emo of late" as in what people refer to as emo lately nowadays, MCR, Black veil brides... i just dont get a lot of it. Screamed vocals i really dont get either, im just too mellow for that I guess :D

On another note, i have a strong dislike, even an irrational (at times) dislike for pop punk of late. GImme Blink or Early green day sure they were a bit of craic fun music like. But all time low, We the Kings, You me at six, i dunno what it is about them, i just can't stand that genre and never "got" them.
    That whole 'scene kid' thing I never got. From my observations it was like some sort of cycle where the kids were trying to out-scene each other and eventually they got sucked into some sort of black, eyeliner-clad hole. It seems to have died out now though, I don't see as many of them as I used to a few years ago, although that's just from my perspective.

Pop-punk I used to like when I was younger. Bands like Sum 41 and NOFX seemed fun a decade ago but eventually I just grew out of it and moved onto better stuff. I have no idea what's dubbed pop-punk these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Never really understood how Coldplay got to be such a big band, very bland is how I'd describe them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I enjoy pop punk still, NOFX a small bit and Offspring, Blink 182, stuff like that. Also lesser known bands like Millencolin, Lagwagon, Bodyjar. Basically a lot of stuff that was on the Tony Hawk computer game soundtrack. Still quite fun to listen to.

I try to be very open-minded when it comes to music, but there are really some things that leaves an unpleasant expression in my ears.

Bob Dylan- I always feel like nodding off to any of his songs. It doesn't help that he sounds bored when he's singing. I actually prefer The Byrds and his son's Wallflower's version to his originals.

Ah now, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Dylan is a legend.

• Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭CUPimus

Eminem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I will never understand how Michael Buble has gotten so big from what he does. He's basically a sh*tty version of Frank Sinatra singing standards that have been sung far better by much better singers years ago. Seriously, how can anyone buy his version of songs like Feeling Good, when there's Nina Simone's version? I will never understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Cannibal Corpse - the music ain't terrible, I do not however enjoy the growled vocals at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

90% of the sh!te in the charts that most people here don't 'get' either. It's all the same and it's all terrible. (Boy bands wailing into microphones, pop with no real instruments or vocals, songs that sound like a thousand other ones that have come before it).

Classical. I can appreciate it but I don't get why people (particularly younger people) would listen to it much.

Led Zeppelin. I like them but don't get the god-like status they have.

Bob Dylan. See above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Zero1986 wrote: »
    I have no idea what's dubbed pop-punk these days.

Neither do I, was thinking Green Day but the road they've gone down in recent times I would prob describe as just pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

I don't get what Riff Raff is about, came across him on YouTube and although I don't get it I am intrigued

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

karaokeman wrote: »
    Neither do I, was thinking Green Day but the road they've gone down in recent times I would prob describe as just pop.

American idiot was a great pop punk single, the likes of Boulevard of Broken Dreams is them going for a grown up sound and basically trying to get a bigger audience and really crossover.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I have never been a big country fan, but there is one variant in particular I just don't get... and that is "Country and Western" music - in other words Irish Country. What some forms of American Country has going for it is the folk connection. Irish CW does not have that. It is just a badly derivative, tedious, depressing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Lennonist wrote: »

Ah now, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Dylan is a legend.
    Legendary song-writer.

Below average singer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

mumford and sons . Liked them at first but the banjo player seems to play the same tune nearly everysong he just changes what key he plays it in .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

grenache wrote: »
    Legendary song-writer.

Below average singer.

When I've got songs like this to wash over me I don't give a fig what way people rate his singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Never really rated Springsteen that much tbh

When I've got songs like this to wash over me I don't give a fig what way people rate his singing.

Have been looking for Desolation Row on youtube, mightn't be there for long. Dylan usually gets people to remove a lot of his original recordings that people put up on Youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Lennonist wrote: »
    Have been looking for Desolation Row on youtube, mightn't be there for long. Dylan usually gets people to remove a lot of his original recordings that people put up on Youtube.

Yeh, I'm guessing it won't be there for long and I reckon it was probably mistitled Desolation Road on purpose.

Yeh, I'm guessing it won't be there for long and I reckon it was probably mistitled Desolation Road on purpose.

You might find an original version on vimeo sometimes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Saw Tom Petty on the telly today. Christ, how to people listen to boring rubbish like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Nursery rymes... just don't see the appeal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 OisinS94

mumford and sons . Liked them at first but the banjo player seems to play the same tune nearly everysong he just changes what key he plays it in .

Agree with this. When I first heard "little lion man" I thought it was very inventive and something different.... but since then every song has been basically the exact same as it with only slight subtle changes and obviously the lyrics and chorus being different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I liked them for like a week and the novelty wore off quick! I predict the same thing will happen to that band The Lumineers ( they sing that song on the Sky Sports ad ) they will ejaculate quicker than a pimply faced 15 year old boy. Now this one hurts me a little, but Joy Division? I tried and tried but really never done it for me.

Joy Division can be quite challenging at times.

Its different from a lot of what would generally be labelled "classic rock" because its very dark, but when you get into it, they are really rewarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭LeBash

Coldplay and the Eagles.

I know Coldplay have a huge following and not just braindead radio listeners that wouldn't know anything except a single. I know plenty of people who's musical opinions that I respect but I found them bland and boring, the lyrics are somewhat predictable. I did like the piano from the song clocks until it was played to death.

As for the Eagles. If they aren't good enough for "the Dude" they aren't good enough for LeBash.

LeBash wrote: »
    Coldplay and the Eagles.

I know Coldplay have a huge following and not just braindead radio listeners that wouldn't know anything except a single. I know plenty of people who's musical opinions that I respect but I found them bland and boring, the lyrics are somewhat predictable. I did like the piano from the song clocks until it was played to death.

As for the Eagles. If they aren't good enough for "the Dude" they aren't good enough for LeBash.

I love Coldplay but I've recently come to terms with the fact I've outgrown their last three albums, Parachutes and A Rush of Blood, I still love and always will, those two define Coldplay for me and everything since then has been filler (barr Fix You) milked out for the masses.

I only know the Eagles obvious stuff so I can't really comment on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

karaokeman wrote: »
    Joy Division can be quite challenging at times.

Its different from a lot of what would generally be labelled "classic rock" because its very dark, but when you get into it, they are really rewarding.

I don't think they sound like classic rock at all or ever seen them labelled as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Pearl Jam. Eddie Vedders style of singing just became very irritating quickly to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I dont get this HIP HOP trash on the radio now,its totally disgusting!!

Rap is GOOD,R&B is good but TODAYS HIP HOP blows!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Dude111 wrote: »
    I dont get this HIP HOP trash on the radio now,its totally disgusting!!

Rap is GOOD,R&B is good but TODAYS HIP HOP blows!!

Don't listen to the radio then.

Advertisement