Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music you just don't get

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Dude111 wrote: »
    I dont get this HIP HOP trash on the radio now,its totally disgusting!!

Rap is GOOD,R&B is good but TODAYS HIP HOP blows!!

Good point though. It's hard to think of much good hip-hop that receives airplay regularly. Of course, there is Kanye West, Jay Z etc but it's populated by rubbish it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Just don't get nu-metal at all, can't understand it's appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Coldplay , dull, boring and whiney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Pop Punk.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Just don't get nu-metal at all, can't understand it's appeal.
    It's 2013 and nu-metal still seems to be bothering some people? Ha! Looking back it was just hard rock marketed for angsty teenage boys who liked a bit of mainstream hip-hop on the side. Nothing too difficult to understand.
    SubBusted wrote: »
    Hair metal ballads, because they all sound alike.
    Agreed, some of the biggest musical monstrosities of all time are hair metal ballads. Makes me want to wipe the 80's from the history books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

Bob Dylan - with the exception of The Hurricane and Blowin in the Wind. I've tried, I really have.

I also can't comprehend the popularity of Irish Country and Western music. I had to work at a few such concerts as part of a previous job and people go *wild* for it... Just beyond me.

There's a lot more but that's all I can think of right now...

kat.mac wrote: »
    Bob Dylan - with the exception of The Hurricane and Blowin in the Wind. I've tried, I really have.

I also can't comprehend the popularity of Irish Country and Western music. I had to work at a few such concerts as part of a previous job and people go *wild* for it... Just beyond me.

There's a lot more but that's all I can think of right now...
    Agreed on both pretty much, its just I have no desire to really go listening to Dylan on a serious level in the first place. Opera is a genre I don't find much appeal in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

All I like from Dylan are a few tracks off Highway 61 Revisited, admittedly I haven't done my best to get into him but I always go back and try again every now and then.

Didn't think Irish Country and Western was popular at all. I just know a few people that like Joe Dolan, and he's more on the poppy side of Irish Country and Western, and I don't know anyone (and I mean not one person) who listens to Daniel O' Donnell.

Irish contemporary classical music. Over-educated tolls composing 10-minute pieces of 'music' that gets performed once at some arts centre in Kilkenny. Even better the Arts Council funds some of these nobodies to create thier quickly-forgotten 'masterpieces'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

karaokeman wrote: »
    Didn't think Irish Country and Western was popular at all. I just know a few people that like Joe Dolan, and he's more on the poppy side of Irish Country and Western, and I don't know anyone (and I mean not one person) who listens to Daniel O' Donnell.

Daniel O'Donnell is just the tip of C&W iceberg. A previous job in a local radio station really opened my eyes - it's a whole other WORLD.

All I like from Dylan are a few tracks off Highway 61 Revisited, admittedly I haven't done my best to get into him but I always go back and try again every now and then.

Move to the Midlands and you'll know all about it. Although thankfully Athlone is free of this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭trashcan

Don't get/like rap at all. I know people go on about the great lyrics, but for me, if you've got no tune, you've got no song. I like melody, rap hasn't got it, so it just does nothing for me.

Also dislike heavy metal/raaaawk and samey x factor type chart rubblsh.

Oh there's definitely a huge market for C&W music in Ireland. Might not be noticeable everywhere but it's there.

Oh there's definitely a huge market for C&W music in Ireland. Might not be noticeable everywhere but it's there.
    There sure is. All the farmers going to local GAA club matches in their muck-covered 4x4s are blasting this **** like there's no tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Heavy metal/ hard rock whatever you call it. It just seems so juvenile to me. I understand anger in music, but that screaming **** sucks balls, I don't understand the appeal as an aural experience at all. I can only understand it as a social mechanism. I wouldn't dislike someone JUST because they are into the 'only black clothes' etc. but I doubt I'd be able to take them seriously if I tried. "DADDY ROOAAAARR YOU NEVER GAVE ME MY POCKET MONEY WHEN I WAS A CHILD! ZJHAKSKSKA"

Zero1986 wrote: »
    There sure is. All the farmers going to local GAA club matches in their muck-covered 4x4s are blasting this **** like there's no tomorrow.

There's a sizeable enough section in the local CD shop for it. Not the HMV in town, a shop called CD World.

I heard only yesterday it's making a comeback amongst young people.

There's a sizeable enough section in the local CD shop for it. Not the HMV in town, a shop called CD World.

I heard only yesterday it's making a comeback amongst young people.
    There didn't seem to be much demand for it in Athlone but I remember plenty if it being stocked in a place in Tullamore.

I find it hard to believe that it's making a comeback amongst young people. Are hipsters finding a new way to be ironic or something? :)
    Heavy metal/ hard rock whatever you call it. It just seems so juvenile to me. I understand anger in music, but that screaming **** sucks balls, I don't understand the appeal as an aural experience at all. I can only understand it as a social mechanism. I wouldn't dislike someone JUST because they are into the 'only black clothes' etc. but I doubt I'd be able to take them seriously if I tried. "DADDY ROOAAAARR YOU NEVER GAVE ME MY POCKET MONEY WHEN I WAS A CHILD! ZJHAKSKSKA"
    This is so wide of the mark and ill-informed that it's almost hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Which part exactly? Besides my mislabeling of the genre, you know the particular music I'm talking about (the screaming).

Certain young people that go to dances for country and western. You know the kind. A social event kind of thing. Nah, not a hipster thing. Well I doubt it anyway.:pac:

• Advertisement

Certain young people that go to dances for country and western. You know the kind. A social event kind of thing. Nah, not a hipster thing. Well I doubt it anyway.:pac:
    This is mad, and I thought I was a culchie. I wasn't aware of this happening :D
    Which part exactly? Besides my mislabeling of the genre, you know the particular music I'm talking about (the screaming).
    No not really as screaming is used in multiple genres, not just metal. Industrial, punk and hardcore for example. A lot of metal features clean vocals as well you know, and bands like Electric Wizard and Ufomammut aren't exactly what I'd call 'juvenile'.

Death growls really put me off metal bands. I really want to listen to Meshuggah as their music has great rhythmic ideas thanks to Thomas Haake.

However the singing is an absolute pain and makes it hard to listen to them.

Death growls really put me off metal bands. I really want to listen to Meshuggah as their music has great rhythmic ideas thanks to Thomas Haake.

However the singing is an absolute pain and makes it hard to listen to them.
    Meshuggah are a great band but I'd only listen to them when I'm really in the mood for them. Death growls used to put me off a bit but I became immuned to them after a while and now they don't really bother me. I'm not a metalhead but there's really are some great metal bands out there that most people will probably never hear due to their perception of the genre.

Techno and people who think today's electronic music was invented by Detroit DJs in the mid-1980s. Electro with a 4/4 beat does not make a groundbreaking new style of music!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Epicness

Anything on the cover of Hot Press

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Republic of Loose. Can someone please tell me, are they supposed to be a joke/parody band of some sort? That was the assumption I jumped to the first time I heard their... sound... such as it is, but then heard people genuinely praising them which left me scratching my head.
    I mean, they're just awful. Lyrics bordering on imbecility (admittedly nothing out of the ordinary in the charts, but seriously - "I wanna go to tha DOCTTAAAAH, but I really can't afford it"), very dull music and a ubiquitous "OOOOOOHHHHHH, AAAAAAAHHHHHH" from a lead "singer" who is clearly the wrong end of a tandoori binge every time he steps in front of a mic. Different strokes and all that, but who can possibly listen to this tripe? Do they get a free pass simply because they're Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭megadodge

David f*cking Bore-ie.

Besides Space Oddity, which is utterly brilliant, the rest of this guy's stuff is so bloody boooooooooooring.

And the worst bit is there isn't a 'serious' dj on the radio who can go a day without some fawning, sycophantic reference to His Boringness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

megadodge wrote: »
    David f*cking Bore-ie.

Besides Space Oddity, which is utterly brilliant, the rest of this guy's stuff is so bloody boooooooooooring.

And the worst bit is there isn't a 'serious' dj on the radio who can go a day without some fawning, sycophantic reference to His Boringness.

I don't know how it could be possible to like Space Oddity alone, and then write-off about 25 varied studio albums.

I can only assume that you've only listened to a very small percentage of his output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Sinfonia wrote: »
    I don't know how it could be possible to like Space Oddity alone, and then write-off about 25 varied studio albums.

I can only assume that you've only listened to a very small percentage of his output.

Space Oddity isn't even his best song (in my opinion).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

megadodge wrote: »
    David f*cking Bore-ie.

How much of his music have you listened to?

Advertisement