Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Letter

Options
  • 20-11-2012 5:08pm

Just got a household charge letter from Sligo Co Co.Still not paying it and it helped to get the fire started.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Wonder if they are sending it to those who have paid like Donegal CoCo.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

They're sending it to people that haven't lived in these houses for years, living or dead....

Not that that would surprise anybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Where are they getting people's details from and what data source are they using?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ctaf

I'm fairly sure they have got their data from the ESB as the letter I received had the address spelt incorrectly and the only bill I get with the same incorrect spelling is the ESB. Is that legal under the data protection act? Of have they changed it to suit?
    Where are they getting people's details from and what data source are they using?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davebirl

ctaf wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure they have got their data from the ESB as the letter I received had the address spelt incorrectly and the only bill I get with the same incorrect spelling is the ESB. Is that legal under the data protection act? Of have they changed it to suit?

The address they use is from the land registry office. I had paid already yet still they sent me a letter with the wrong address looking for payment again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Is that legal under the data protection act?

Is it legal to not pay taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ctaf

No problem with taxes, big problem with new taxes invented to
    pay for others mistakes. In the UK, the home tax covers so many utilities for the homeowner. Here, I have no paths, a road like the other side of the moon, no street lighting and roads are not treated in ice, got to pay for bin collections, so I'm taxed for struggling to try and create a life for my family??? Taxes are meant to improve areas, this is tax is covering losses so is it really a tax at all.
    Gipo3 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

I started laughing here:
    No problem with taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Indeed isn't it criminal for a nation to bail out incompetent bankers scum and their German associates. They take the gamble, we take the fall.

Paying taxes is one thing, bailing out a shower of incompetent bástards who brought this country to its knees is quite another. No amount of spin or water under the bridge, will give legitimacy to their criminal behaviour.

On a positive note, I ran out of bog roll earlier and thankfully the letter served as a useful arse wipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

davebirl wrote: »
    The address they use is from the land registry office. I had paid already yet still they sent me a letter with the wrong address looking for payment again.

This is where they're getting it afaik too...

There's a whole megathread about this. So if you feel like you're doing the right thing in paying, go right ahead. Whether it can be defined as a tax or not, well we could argue all about that all day (and it isn't either btw :cool:).

What it definitely isn't though, is fair.

Don't register. Don't pay.

And getting back to the letter itself, I wouldn't even wipe my delicate bottom with it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

irish-stew wrote: »
    Wonder if they are sending it to those who have paid like Donegal CoCo.

:D

They are, my Dad got a letter demanding payment last week, even though he had paid by post before the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

same here..got letter on monday saying i hadnt paid...I knew i had because i had to sweat tears to find the money...

range them up, they asked for my PPS number and was able to locate the payment that way.

We used the name of the house when filling in the form itself. That obviously threw them hence the demand for €128!!

I'd say they are using the electoral register for detail...

same here..got letter on monday saying i hadnt paid...I knew i had because i had to sweat tears to find the money...

range them up, they asked for my PPS number and was able to locate the payment that way.

We used the name of the house when filling in the form itself. That obviously threw them hence the demand for €128!!

I'd say they are using the electoral register for detail...

Dont think its the electoral register because I never bothered to change my vote to my current address.Its the land registry as the letter was addressed just as my mortgage application was,with my wifes name and mine!

Advertisement