Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post policy on paying for Firearms Certificate

Options
  • 20-11-2012 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hey had a bit of a run with the local post mistriss today. I went in to pay for my certifcate which I had waited three months to get. She scanned the barcode on the grant letter and I paid the 80 euro. She gave me a reciept and told me she had to hold on to the letter! I told her that that was not happening and asked for the letter. She it was the policy to hold on to the letter. I asked her to make a copy of the letter if she wished but I was not leaving without the letter.

Anyone know if she was she right ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

She is incorrect and has no business holding on to your grant letter.

I was given the same BS story the first time the new system was rolled out, but I told her very quickly to return the letter and she had no business of keeping it.

Some of them don't even look at what the letter is and think it is some sort of fine you are paying. Make it clear it is a gun license and she isn't entitled to hols on to the letter, not in the least due to the sensitive information it contains. Don't let her make a copy of it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Mine always scan it and then staple the receipt to it and hand it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

Happened to me once.

From then on I always photocopy the letter before going to the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If your postmistress was supposed to read or retain the letter do you not think the sender would have it addressed to her as well or would have a phrase like "to be retained by the post office" printed on it ?

There's only a very limited number of people and organisations ( thinking of Garda in the course of investigations, customs, appointed guardians for people who're mentally unfit to take care of their own affairs etc etc ) in the state that are allowed to open someone else's post or as a matter of course retain it and your local postmaster/mistress isn't one of them.

In all fairness she's probably making an honest mistake but she has no entitlement to retain the letter in any shape or form, scan the barcode, take the payment and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Happened to me nearly every time no matter which post office i went to. The last time i received the letter back in a few days with a note saying they were mistaken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

This popped up 3 years ago and I do believe somewhere there is an interesting thread on it which included a re print of a memo sent by someone in An Post telling PM not to hold onto it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sonofthegun

i asked the lads at work on the counter the official line is that they do not hold your grant letter
    sotg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thread on it here.

Pay particular attention to the posts by Target widow.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭peteshamrock

I'll arm myself with TargetWidows post the next time. It never happened before in the GPO but its hard to play hard ball when she is holding your grant letter behind bullet proof glass!

Thanks for all the responses

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

on my grant letter it states " Payment must be accompanied by all of this letter"

The is printed under the "Manner of Payment" under the Bar code on the middle of the page. So are the post office correct in keeping the letter ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No.

The letter in it's entirety is handed in, the payment made, and the person in the PO attaches the receipt to the letter and hands it all back to you.

The grant letter is YOUR copy (other than the license) that the license was granted. I have all of mine from when the new licensing system came in with receipts attached. So if i loose my license i call into my firearms officer, show the grant, and ask for a reprint.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement