Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon's "More Buying Options"?

Options
  • 20-11-2012 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Apologies if this isn't the right forum but I'm looking for some advice.

Whenever I'm on Amazon I buy the book directly from Amazon but there are always cheaper options available. How reliable are these sources and can they be trusted?

I originally started buying from Amazon because it was cheaper than going into a shop. The new list of books I'm looking for seem to be in and around the same price as high street shops plus I wouldn't have to wait for the delivery.

How reliable are the companies in the "More Buying Options" available on Amazon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

It's a bit like eBay, just make sure the seller has very positive feedback before buying. I have bought a good few CDs and books from various private sellers. I only had one bad experience where a seller didn't send a book, but when they failed to respond to my emails I reported them to Amazon who sorted out a refund.

Some of the lower prices e.g. £0.01 for a book are tempting but I found that a lot of the time the postage & packing they charge means they are not much cheaper than Amazon, who offer free p&p to orders over £25 (I think that's the amount). Sometimes Amazon actually works out cheaper to buy brand new books than the seemingly cheaper options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

They are all covered by Amazon's A to Z guarantee so if there is an issue Amazon will solve it. Also, keep an eye out for Fulfilled by Amazon items. If you are looking for new/used books and they are fulfilled by Amazon they are eligible for free shipping once the order is over £25.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

bookdepository.com is an excellent alternative to amazon. Free postage but it can take longer to get to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,425 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Most of them are fine, but you pay postage on each book, even if you order several from the same place, whereas Amazon will group them.

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    They are all covered by Amazon's A to Z guarantee so if there is an issue Amazon will solve it. Also, keep an eye out for Fulfilled by Amazon items. If you are looking for new/used books and they are fulfilled by Amazon they are eligible for free shipping once the order is over £25.

This right here. Fulfilled by Amazon is excellent and Amazon customer care (I've only ever paid by credit card so may be different with PayPal or whatever) compared to eBay or even Zavvi is second to none. I had an Amazon order go missing, they instantly re-sent the items with quicker delivery and a few months later a non-Amazon seller messed up an order on me and I contacted Amazon and got a refund straightaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Yep, can't beat Amazon's customer service. I bought a DVD from a marketplace seller, and they sent me a pirated copy. I proceeded to hound the seller for a refund, but they cut all contact. I got onto Amazon, and they just refunded my money without wanting to see the dodgy copy or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Danye

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have a little look around and see how cheap I can get things.

Much appreciated.

Advertisement