Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle fire in Ireland

Options
  • 20-11-2012 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, new to this so apologies if asking a well answered question.
    Was looking at getting the fire for my daughter for Xmas but was told by amazon.com customer service that they can't sell to the republic. The uk is the same.
    Has anybody managed to source them elsewhere and if have, where and is it worth it??
    I was told by amazon that the app store etc wouldn't work in the republic , hence they don't sell it here. I already have a kindle myself and have had no problems with purchasing books from the .com site .dont want to spend the extra money on it if those features won't work here!

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Hi, new to this so apologies if asking a well answered question.
    Was looking at getting the fire for my daughter for Xmas but was told by amazon.com customer service that they can't sell to the republic. The uk is the same.
    Has anybody managed to source them elsewhere and if have, where and is it worth it??
    I was told by amazon that the app store etc wouldn't work in the republic , hence they don't sell it here. I already have a kindle myself and have had no problems with purchasing books from the .com site .dont want to spend the extra money on it if those features won't work here!

Thanks in advance!!

Hi,
    I bought one in the States a few weeks ago. About 260 dollars for the 32 gb version. You were told correctly. I can download books, use the web and things like the Imdb website to view trailers in HD. Can't use the App Store due to geographic restrictions. Better for books due to the colour but that's about it at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭apache6

I also would like to buy a kindle fire but after much searching around, the only people who ship to ireland are dodgy chinese outfits or amazon us through a us address if i understand it right. Amazon would love to sell the fire in ireland but there are issues with eircom with regard to access.
    Sometimes i think i,m living in Ghana. drives me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

Might be a silly question but my sister is coming over from UK soon and just wondering is the kindle fire worth getting without the app store working?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I was told by amazon that the app store etc wouldn't work in the republic , hence they don't sell it here. I already have a kindle myself and have had no problems with purchasing books from the .com site

You have had no problems because Ireland does not have its own amazon store, so you have to buy from amazon.com. You would have problems buying from the .co.uk site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

You can get the Kindle Fire in Argos up the north but will we be able to at some stage to get the apps? Bottom line if I did get it in Argos, what am I restricted in using on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 dave3

I'm living in the republic and I managed to get a kindle fire HD pretty easily. To do this I registered with parcel motel. Since parcel motel have an address in northern Ireland you can then order the kindle fire from them. Note you must use their northern Ireland address as your default address if you want this to work. Details of parcel motel can be found at www.parcelmotel.com. There are several threads on boards about the company so a search should bring up the details.

Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Can you download apps and books through the store dave? I'd imagine because you'd be connected to an Irish IP address that you'd be restricted regardless how or where it was delivered

Yes books etc can be downloaded if you set the address for parcel motel as your primary address. All you have to remember is if you want to order something like a book you may want to sent it to your home address or your parcel motel address.

Dave.

Ah right. Well my kindle was bought by my sister in England and delivered to her there on an Irish credit card. Sure an e-book wouldn't need a delivery address, just a billing address?

I think you are ok as long as its delivered to a UK address.

Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

is there any difference between kindle in US and kindle in UK? was going to buy from amazon and get delivered with parcel motel but no parcelmotel near me :( btu i might be able to get one in US through a friend over there at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 8 NextDoorToBram

I want one as well. This country is a pain...in...the...ARSE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

The brother in the UK is bringing me one home for Xmas. Is there anything I should get him to do before then to make it easier afterwards e.g. register it to his UK address? download apps or other stuff while in the UK?

get a nexus 7 instead. Kindle fire is a limited form of Android - you're locked into Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

robo wrote: »
    Bottom line if I did get it in Argos, what am I restricted in using on it?
    Anyone able to answer this?

Will the main stuff still work in Ireland on a Kindle Fire bought from UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

82889316]Anyone able to answer this?

Will the main stuff still work in Ireland on a Kindle Fire bought from UK?[/Quote]

It takes a bit of work but it can work. I used the brother's UK credit card and address and finally got some apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

RedB wrote: »
    It takes a bit of work but it can work. I used the brother's UK credit card and address and finally got some apps.
    But does the basics work ok without having to mess about with anything? Basically, can you buy and use books without any problems?

Was gonna get the paperwhite one for £109 but the Fire is only £20 more so I'd pay the extra in the hope that everything will work here eventually, but for now the main part will still work here yes?

You can buy and use books for the US Amazon store. You can't buy or download from the app store.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Why would anyone get this if it's so much hassle to download apps? There are plenty android tablets out there.

Why would anyone get this if it's so much hassle to download apps? There are plenty android tablets out there.

Because it's cheap and it's mainly for reading books.

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Because it's cheap and it's mainly for reading books.

get a nexus 7. it has the kindle reader app but is a better and less-restricted tablet overall. it's a similar price to kindle fire.

glasso wrote: »
    get a nexus 7. it has the kindle reader app but is a better and less-restricted tablet overall. it's a similar price to kindle fire.

I have the Kindle Fire already. Love it!

8GB Nexus 7 is £195 on Amazon. I got the Kindle Fire for £99.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I have the Kindle Fire already. Love it!

8GB Nexus 7 is £195 on Amazon. I got the Kindle Fire for £99.

you can get the nexus 7 32gb for just over 200 euro... no proper app store on the kindle....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭basillarkin

glasso wrote: »
    you can get the nexus 7 32gb for just over 200 euro... no proper app store on the kindle....
    Link to website please?

uk play store. (use parcelmotel for delivery to Ire).
    16gb £159
    32gb £199

In Ire can be had for €230 pc world.

to other op of course amazon are not going to sell nexus 7 cheap as it's a competitor product

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

i have kindle fire for over a year, rooted it, installed google playstore, and can install any apps I want on it. hasnt given me a moments issues since then, most apps work perfectly on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 djmc117

Hi,
    Do you have instructions on how to root kindle fire he?

Thanks
    DJ

not sure if i can link to other forums...so search on google for xda kindle fire root and you will get it on the first link. depends on model. I have the original kindle fire. Rooted it once, it got unrooted by OTA update but play store still works no problems. Doesnt need to be rooted for market access

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

So this has been officially the biggest waste of cash I have ever forked out.

I did no research as I just assumed there would be no issue with apps. Is it likely that the issue will ever be resolved?

Also on the video player, I have put some TV shows onto it, but it only shows a screen shot and not the actual file name. So it is a pain when trying to watch a TV show in episode order.

It’s probably something obvious, but anyone know where the setting is to change that?

• Advertisement

have you rooted it? I know its not ideal if you weren't aware, but its perfect after that, and install a video app like mxplayer afterwards, its much better and easier to use for video.

The built in video player is aimed at Amazon prime sourced content only.

I use mine all the time for apps, video, games, and of course reading. Its perfect for what I want.

And no the issue (which isnt an issue, its a design feature) wont be resolved. Next best thing is Amazon app-store becomes available in Ireland which will happen at some stage I guess.)

Advertisement