Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

retaining the employees for longer period

Options
  • 20-11-2012 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

there is a serious attention given to retaining employees these days in every organizations.I know it is very good to retain them instead of finding new ones for the organization but doe is prove beneficial for employees.My concern is this may make them less compatible in the market if they spend long time in same work, okay provisions are made for their upgarding and education but working for the same domain may hinder their talent and in turn in the long run may not be fruitful even for employers.

I would love to hear your opinions about the pros and cons of this process from employees point of view instead of traditional one sided view plz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

there is a serious attention given to retaining employees these days in every organizations.I know it is very good to retain them instead of finding new ones for the organization but doe is prove beneficial for employees.My concern is this may make them less compatible in the market if they spend long time in same work, okay provisions are made for their upgarding and education but working for the same domain may hinder their talent and in turn in the long run may not be fruitful even for employers.

I would love to hear your opinions about the pros and cons of this process from employees point of view instead of traditional one sided view plz.

Is this another college project exercise?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

From an Employees perspective, the idea of my Employer doing it's best to retain me, provides me with some comfort and job security. With training on the agenda, on an ongoing basis, it provides me the chance to update my skills and offers professional certifications I'd have to fork out 000's for otherwise.

I am afforded opportunities I would not receive in many other companies I have worked for. With educational opportunities, I have the chance to seek out better paying employment in the future. Another method of retention is my pay packet and promotion. It far exceeds my expectations. So I see myself staying with my current company for the next 5 to 10 years atleast.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

Is this another college project exercise?
    nope, just my curiosity.this is not the right way of gaining knowledge if I am doing a college project, as these would just be random ideas and not facts.

Its just a way of getting different opinions and getting the idea of what most people think on it.Thats really it.

Itzy wrote: »
    From an Employees perspective, the idea of my Employer doing it's best to retain me, provides me with some comfort and job security. With training on the agenda, on an ongoing basis, it provides me the chance to update my skills and offers professional certifications I'd have to fork out 000's for otherwise.

I am afforded opportunities I would not receive in many other companies I have worked for. With educational opportunities, I have the chance to seek out better paying employment in the future. Another method of retention is my pay packet and promotion. It far exceeds my expectations. So I see myself staying with my current company for the next 5 to 10 years atleast.
    but what after 5 -10 years, u would not fit in any other domain or at least it would be very hard to switch, to me that itself is horrifying.And when u have received so many temptations and support it makes the move more hard isint it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

A lot of very well paying positions require atleast 5 - 10 experience in the IT industry and start at €70k+.

• Advertisement

A lot of very well paying positions require atleast 5 - 10 experience in the IT industry and start at €70k+.
    5-10 years of experience but not witht he same organization, Its very well suited if its a multi national organization and deals with many different domains so switching to different sectors may be promoted an preferred.If it is so switching to one organization would not all be a problem for me but when u the firm isint involved in varied sectors it doesnt give u a wholesome knowledge. Sticking to one domain is not a bad thing, infact good to gain expertise but for some like me it may be boring.
    It sector in itself has its reach to numerous domains like retail, security, R&D, banking etc etc...

I actually do work for a multinational. I work in the area of Software and my Company develops and supports a large array of products. So I'll have the chance to update my skills in development and support. In time I may have the opportunity to develop supervisory/managerial skills at the same time, making me an attractive employee to other companies.

I actually do work for a multinational. I work in the area of Software and my Company develops and supports a large array of products. So I'll have the chance to update my skills in development and support. In time I may have the opportunity to develop supervisory/managerial skills at the same time, making me an attractive employee to other companies.
    agreed with ur particular scenario Its a win win situation for both employees and employers but what if u are not working for a multi national and not even a very large firm?

We'll I suppose you have point there.

Advertisement