Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agency won't return calls

Options
  • 20-11-2012 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Im renting an apartment through an agency. I signed the lease 2 month ago, everything was fine until the microwave broke. I called the agency, they said they would call me back-but didn't. A week later the storage heater stopped working. I called the agency, let them know I had already called, and informed them of the heater. A week later I called again for an update, "Oh yeah, I'll check it out, and call you right back".
    A week goes by, I call again, telling them Im not happy, and I won't be paying rent until it's sorted. The girl that answered said she was only filling in, would check the details and, guess what? Call me back. Of course, still no word.

Am I within my rights to withhold payment of rent? It's quite expensive, and Im not happy with the fact they won't answer me when I do call, and just keep fobbing me off. I have no direct line to landlord, but Im paying directly into his account.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

No, never withhold payment of rent. If this does escalate and you end up with a PRTB case or whatever it will go down as a big black mark against your name.

Write to the agency (registered letter only) and outline all of the issues that you have been having. Give them a time frame for a resolution plan to be put in place (Id say no more than 7 days). Note that you want a response in writing only.

If no such response is forthcoming follow up with another registered letter saying that if the matter is not resolved in say a week that you will have no option but to open a case with the PRTB.

Keep a copy of all correspondance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Don't withhold the rent. Just tell them they can collect it when they come out to inspect the repairs there sending the handyman for.

That way you technically nit withholding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

Thanks for the advice guys, I will call them again to day and give them another chance to respond, then I shall send a letter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

djimi wrote: »

Write to the agency (registered letter only) and outline all of the issues that you have been having. Give them a time frame for a resolution plan to be put in place (Id say no more than 7 days)...<snip>...
    follow up with another registered letter saying that if the matter is not resolved in say a week that you will have no option but to open a case with the PRTB.

Keep a copy of all correspondance.

Why keep sending registered letters? The first should be enough. (I'd impress upon them in that letter of the times you rang and left messages and were promised a call back.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Why keep sending registered letters? The first should be enough. (I'd impress upon them in that letter of the times you rang and left messages and were promised a call back.)

Its just to keep a full and proper trail of all correspondance that has been sent out. Leave no doubt that you are doing your bit properly and fully by the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Name and shame!

Advertisement