Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

240v in to 110v socket?

Options
  • 20-11-2012 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

hi,Im wondering can i plug a 240v hair trimmer into a 110v socket to charge/use it,Im working in canada for a few months and brought my hair trimmer with me and my electric tooth brush and was hoping to charge the units if its safe to do so,will buy some 110v when i get the chance but i wont be near any town for a while,thanks in advance,regards

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

minterno wrote: »
    hi,Im wondering can i plug a 240v hair trimmer into a 110v socket to charge/use it,Im working in canada for a few months and brought my hair trimmer with me and my electric tooth brush and was hoping to charge the units if its safe to do so,will buy some 110v when i get the chance but i wont be near any town for a while,thanks in advance,regards
    The chances are that both devices are designed for an input voltage of 220-240VAC in which case the answer would be no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

not unless the appliances have a switch on them for 110v

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

thanks guys,will have to buy some here when i get a chance,regards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

As the items you mention are "low wattage", they literally take a small amount of power to charge up the battries in them, you should be able get a step up transformer.

But it all depends on how much they charge for the step up transformer, might be cheaper to replace the devices.

thanks for the reply,will have a look at the prices of the step ups when i get to town,regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Strange enough I got 2 new bathroom shaver lights in Argos that have a 110 and 220 volt switch. All my shavers and tooth brush both work exactly the same whether i switch it on 220 or 110 :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Strange enough I got 2 new bathroom shaver lights in Argos that have a 110 and 220 volt switch. All my shavers and tooth brush both work exactly the same whether i switch it on 220 or 110 :confused::confused::confused:

How many shavers do you use? :)

Anyway most modern shavers can take either 110 or 240V. Don't know about toothbrushes.
    Check the handbooks or labels first, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Cerco wrote: »

Anyway most modern shavers can take either 110 or 240V. Don't know about toothbrushes.

One for face one solely for my japanese flag and meat and 2 veg :cool::o

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

check on the plug, usually its printed what voltage they will take. If they are any way modern then they usually are dual voltage. I've never seen a switch on any appliance to go between 110 to 240. Plus you will need a plug adapter as the plugs are different over there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Cerco wrote: »

I had a electric toothbrush charger (~100-110V) plugged into a 240V power supply. Melted the base before I noticed (luckily).

So yes, check it first. For the sake of 1 or 2 pieces of equipment might just be worth getting new ones, step down transformers can be a little bulky/heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

check on the plug, usually its printed what voltage they will take. If they are any way modern then they usually are dual voltage. I've never seen a switch on any appliance to go between 110 to 240. Plus you will need a plug adapter as the plugs are different over there
    we've a hairdryer or straightener with a
    voltage switch
    computers used to have them as well
    if I recall
    -seems dodgy with kids around

thanks for the replies guys,will have to do without until xmas,cheers

Advertisement