Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV programmes to help a beginner with conversational Irish?

Options
  • 20-11-2012 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hey guys,

Could anyone tell me the best programmes on TG4 that would help a beginner improve their conversational Irish?

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

nothing but the hard slog is the truth of it.
    Watch everything but particularly anything with native speakers- Ros na Rún is great, Tues and Thurs; Comhrá, Wed nights I think; Seacht Lá and the Irish language news (hard to follow everything for a while but only native speakers read the news and it's worth listening to as it's current and relevant and you can get the gist of a story and start making connections with new words etc.)

Then away from that get yourself a dictionary, get onto Irish lang learning websites like here and daltai.com for example, ask lots of question and don't give up!

An Irish course called 'Learning Irish' is second to none. It's concentrated on Conamara Irish but since that's the most widely spoken native dialect and what you hear mostly on TG4 it's wise to start with this dialect. you can easily move off to another after your Irish improves substantially.

Question is, will you see it through?

I hope you do! Ádh mór a stór!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 youwish

go raibh míle maith agat!!

that was a beyond helpful response - will get going right away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

pog it wrote: »
    nothing but the hard slog is the truth of it.
    Watch everything but particularly anything with native speakers- Ros na Rún is great, Tues and Thurs; Comhrá, Wed nights I think; Seacht Lá and the Irish language news (hard to follow everything for a while but only native speakers read the news and it's worth listening to as it's current and relevant and you can get the gist of a story and start making connections with new words etc.)

Then away from that get yourself a dictionary, get onto Irish lang learning websites like here and daltai.com for example, ask lots of question and don't give up!

An Irish course called 'Learning Irish' is second to none. It's concentrated on Conamara Irish but since that's the most widely spoken native dialect and what you hear mostly on TG4 it's wise to start with this dialect. you can easily move off to another after your Irish improves substantially.

Question is, will you see it through?

I hope you do! Ádh mór a stór!

Thanks for this too! In the exact same boat - watching bits of Ros na Rún but want other things to keep me in the habit. Find I've to stop myself cheating too - looking down at the subtitles! It's a pity they're not in Irish also.

Advertisement