Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe places to walk the dogs after dark

Options
  • 20-11-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a few safe places to walk the dogs on these dark evenings, preferably somewhere lit up where there are plenty of other walkers. The dogs (and us!) are starting to get tired of walking around the housing estate every night.

I'm on the south side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

if you want lighting the only place i can think of is other housing estates or along roads, like around bishopstown etc :D.
    None of the paths i use are lit up after dark. Shame really .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Lough would be the most obvious one. The town side of the Lee Fields, the path is lit up there, then walk on the footpath after the car park. In around UCC as well is nicely lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Thanks for the replies. :)

I did think of the lough. It's a really short walk, though I suppose we could do a few laps. :D I'll give the Lee Fields a shot some evening too.
    None of the paths i use are lit up after dark. Shame really .

It IS a pity there aren't more lit up areas. Roll on the spring...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

just to say that while bishopstown is a lovely leafy area - one might want to avoid murphys farm/the pitch and putt course late at night - mainly just drunk teenagers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Airport Business Pk. I saw a few people walking their dogs at night in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Could ya not just stick him on a treadmill if you're that concerned?

Walking around the Lough in a circle is like something they'd do to mad people.

The UCC campus is always open, you could walk the dog around that. I can't really think of anywhere else that's bright and safe really. Maybe around the park in ballyphane,I think around there, there's a fair bit of light from the shops and street lights.

johnayo wrote: »
    Airport Business Pk. I saw a few people walking their dogs at night in the area.

Never thought of there, thanks for the suggestion!
    yenom wrote: »
    Could ya not just stick him on a treadmill if you're that concerned?

Would be much for for the dogs though :) thanks for the other suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

If you're near Douglas you could check out the public walk between Rochestown/Hop Island and Passage. It seems a little dark and secluded, but there're usually a few joggers/dog walkers there up until about 10pm, I've never had/seen any trouble or even drinking teenagers here at any time of the night. The path itself is off the road, well lit (imo) and next to the river, which makes for a nice walk I think.

There is another walk just up the road in Rochestown (from Rochestown Inn to Mahon) but it's not nearly as well lit. Also, around the weekend you'd usually get a few teenagers/older homeless looking dudes drinking down there. I've never had any trouble, but have stopped walking there after around 8~

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

If you're near Douglas you could check out the public walk between Rochestown/Hop Island and Passage. It seems a little dark and secluded, but there're usually a few joggers/dog walkers there up until about 10pm, I've never had/seen any trouble or even drinking teenagers here at any time of the night. The path itself is off the road, well lit (imo) and next to the river, which makes for a nice walk I think.

There is another walk just up the road in Rochestown (from Rochestown Inn to Mahon) but it's not nearly as well lit. Also, around the weekend you'd usually get a few teenagers/older homeless looking dudes drinking down there. I've never had any trouble, but have stopped walking there after around 8~

Best of luck!

yes, it's a lovely walkway and well kept so anyone wishing to walk their dogs along this walk just obey to the rules and keep the dog on the leash and clean up their filth

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Hate this time of year for walking the dog, I normally go to the Lough now most evenings, unless I can get to the Lee Fields before dark. However, on weekends there can be teenagers drinking in the playground at the Lough which can be a bit unsettling in the dark.
    yenom wrote: »

The UCC campus is always open, you could walk the dog around that.

I've never walked my dog on campus, are you sure it's allowed? My brother has brought him there a few times but I've just never seen a dog being walked in there before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

I don't know really, maybe not but at night there'd be nobody around.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

gimmick wrote: »
    The Lough would be the most obvious one. The town side of the Lee Fields, the path is lit up there, then walk on the footpath after the car park. In around UCC as well is nicely lit.

I think the loughis a little dark to be honest if its light your looking for. Walk the main roads. They are generally well lit.

UCC if you are near sounds ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

johnayo wrote: »

I live in Grange and this is where we walk our dog. There's always lots of people doing the same and some people jogging.

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    I live in Grange and this is where we walk our dog. There's always lots of people doing the same and some people jogging.

I'm in Douglas so I'll probably give this a go some evening. Are there any issues with security guards? Do you just pull into one of the building's car parks?

I love the Rochestown to Passage walk during the summer but I thought it might be a bit too dark and isolated at this time of year. I suppose there's some light from the road spilling on to it though? I'll suggest it to my walking buddy though and see what he thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

I love the Rochestown to Passage walk during the summer but I thought it might be a bit too dark and isolated at this time of year. I suppose there's some light from the road spilling on to it though? I'll suggest it to my walking buddy though and see what he thinks!

They've re-paved the path and put lighting all along. There're only 1 or 2 lights out, so it's still well lit.

It is a bit isolated, but usually has some speed walkers, jogging and dog walkers up to 9pm at least. I've also seen some gardai on bike ride the path, but not recently, so it's probably a summer thing. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There's a nice lit path owned by UCC across the river from pres, down through the old distillery. Not sure when it closes but I don't think too much drinking goes on down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

TheChizler wrote: »
    There's a nice lit path owned by UCC across the river from pres, down through the old distillery. Not sure when it closes but I don't think too much drinking goes on down there.

Only open daylight hours.

They've re-paved the path and put lighting all along. There're only 1 or 2 lights out, so it's still well lit.

It is a bit isolated, but usually has some speed walkers, jogging and dog walkers up to 9pm at least. I've also seen some gardai on bike ride the path, but not recently, so it's probably a summer thing. Enjoy!

I didn't know the path itself was lit. Thanks a mil!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

TheChizler wrote: »

That's definitely not a safe place, going on what I heard when I was studying in the old distillery site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I'm in Douglas so I'll probably give this a go some evening. Are there any issues with security guards? Do you just pull into one of the building's car parks? !

Being honest I haven't noticed any security guards patrolling, there is usually one in the hut at the entrance to the park. You can park anywhere but we usually park in the car park that lies parallel with the garage on the main road simply because there is often a lot more cars there. It really is a nice big space to walk around and fully paved etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Faith wrote: »

That's definitely not a safe place, going on what I heard when I was studying in the old distillery site.
    Ah that was only the one overly friendly guy... Just a bit grabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DarlingBri

We walk our dog on the UCC campus all the time, and encounter the same owner/dog pairs often. It's a lovely and very safe route for dog walking.

Advertisement