Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Needed helpful plumber to install stove

• 20-11-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hiya!

We doing up an old cottage on a shoe string budget and have had many items given to us in the process.

We now looking to install a solid fuel stove with a back boiler and 5 radiators.

But we already have a number of items, like the 5 radiators, a role of pipe, water tank, some copper pipe, the lining for the chimney etc.

We also want to do some of the ducky work, like we will put the radiators on the walls, we will do the the lining for the chimney and any other work we can do, to cut costs as we don't have a lot, but the prospect of yet another winter with no heating or hot water is very depressing.

But we can't find a plumber that is willing to work with us and what we already have, we don't have the money to buy new radiators etc, we have to work with what we already have.

Now we don't want someone to do it for free, we are prepared to pay for a good job to be done, but we have to try and save where we can by using what we already have.

Its not a big job, its just a 2 bed cottage, we had 2 plumbers come up, but they didn't bother to even give a price once they realized it wasn't a big enough job.

Is there any plumber out there, near Newcastle West that would be willing to work with us?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭jimjimt

You may have to try and go with a plumber on a day rate. Get them to give you an estimate on how long it will take and how much a day.
    Also a list of materials on what else you need and a account in a local hardware for the small bits and bobs that were forgotten about.
    Most likely you will need more copper pipe as a roll of pex is not that suitable for solid fuel.

It is very hard to price a job when you are doing so much and the plumber is doing other work.

You will have to come to agreement that if the radiator is not as such suitable to heat the room you will not be putting blame on the plumber and so on.

Basically you will have to find someone local you trust on a day rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

jimjimt, Its finding someone that's the problem, they haven't come back and said i charge so much by the day either.

The role of pipe come from a new house near by that also installed a stove, so we know its suitable, as for the other bits we told them that if they tell us what we need we'll get it as out local supplier gives us 10% discount and many times throws is small things free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

tudlytops wrote: »
    jimjimt, Its finding someone that's the problem, they haven't come back and said i charge so much by the day either.

The role of pipe come from a new house near by that also installed a stove, so we know its suitable, as for the other bits we told them that if they tell us what we need we'll get it as out local supplier gives us 10% discount and many times throws is small things free.

Unless it's a roll of flexy inch it's not. Is it plastic pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭jimjimt

The role of pipe come from a new house near by that also installed a stove, so we know its suitable

If it is pex pipe in a roll, just be careful not to pipe it too close to the stove. Just because the other house use it does not make it right.

I presume you tried the plumber who worked on the house near by?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Unless it's a roll of flexy inch it's not. Is it plastic pipe

Its called acorn i think.

And as far as i know its just to connect radiator to radiator

There is actually a lot of pipe here that was connected to an old range..

My husband actually knows plenty about it, but he can't do the work himself anymore due to health.

> I presume you tried the plumber who worked on the house near by?

No he was a contractor for building the company, not from around this area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement