Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Placement

Options
  • 20-11-2012 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi everyone! i have a work placement coming up soon and i was just wondering if anyone knew any companies in the software development industry that provide work placement/internships?
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The job bridge thing has some internships, not many for software jobs tho. Also you won't get paid for it if you aren't on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

Just start emailing companies with your cv and saying you are looking for work experience. I did this last April/May and I managed to get a job in a software company for the summer. I even got paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

CarefulNow wrote: »
    I even got paid.

Is the standard unpaid? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Is the standard unpaid? :confused:

Hard to know, really depends on the company. I had an interview with a company last April, they were not going to pay me if they offered me a job.
    But there is plenty companies out there that will pay you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I think if my company was to take on a student, we probably wouldn't pay them. Mostly because we are a small start up.

There are a lot of small companies out there that would love to take on someone and show them how they work. But expecting them to pay you is tough.

I got my work placement years ago with a big software development company and got paid. Great experience!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Talk to the careers office in your college, that's where companies will go if they are looking for interns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Whats the length of your placement?

What areas are you interested in going into?

Where are you located? Are you willing to travel/move?

I completed work placement a few months ago and went to Dublin. Loads of companies were looking for students from my college.

Advertisement