Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dvi to Dvi-d adapter?

Options
  • 20-11-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

AS the title says im in need of one of thease. I've been looking to set up a second monitor but the only avalible slot on my GPU is a Dvi-D slot ( i didnt know untill this evening) so i went out an bought a VGA to Dvi cable. When i got home to hook it all up i noticed i needed a Dvi-d cable instead of DVI. I bought it in argos and was told it was a non refundable product, so anyone know were i can pick up a Dvi to Dvi-d adapter cheap around the city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Try Maplins on Jervis St. or online.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

DVI-D does not carry an analogue signal, so you wont be able to use the VGA port on the monitor.

Just for reference:
    DVI-D, HDMI are digital only
    DVI-I is digital + analogue
    VGA is analogue only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

So if i want to use a Dvi-d lead both the GPU and monitor will need a Dvi-d socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    So if i want to use a Dvi-d lead both the GPY and moitor will need a Dvi-d socket?

You will need some sort of dvi port on each device. As you can see below a DVI-D cable can connect to a DVI-I port but not vice-versa, as there are an additional 4 pins for the analogue signal.

181px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png

Alternatively you can get an HDMI - DVI-D adaptor or cable as both are digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Yeah i reckon ill need the hdmi to dvi-d adapter so.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement