Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Factory Unlocked iP4 in US

• 20-11-2012 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am travellig to New York on Friday.

I have a facroty unlocked iP4 and was wondering whether it is possible for me to get a sim card over there and use it during the duration of my stay for data on the move, gps etc

I would be grateful if someone could advise as to whether this is possible or and whether I need to get a at*t sim card or a verizon sim?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

If the iPhone is factory unlocked you can use any sim in it no matter where you are in the world.
    AT&T or Verizon sim depends on best price plan for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Verizon is CDMA and your phone is GSM. It won't work on that network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

guil wrote: »
    Verizon is CDMA and your phone is GSM. It won't work on that network

Is AT&T GSM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Yes AT&T is GSM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

Was in Boston recently and needed the same. Wasn't as straightforward as it is here especially if you want data. AT&T and Verizon couldn't do anything for me. So go into any ordinary phone shop and ask about a simplemobile sim - http://www.mysimplemobile.com/
    I got a sim for a week for, I think it was $37 which gave me 750mb of data (only) which did perfectly (I didn't need texts or calls). There is though a lot of free wifi around but at the same time it was real handy to have a data connection for finding things on the maps etc or sending iMessages and pictures back home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Simon201 wrote: »
    Was in Boston recently and needed the same. Wasn't as straightforward as it is here especially if you want data. AT&T and Verizon couldn't do anything for me. So go into any ordinary phone shop and ask about a simplemobile sim - http://www.mysimplemobile.com/
    I got a sim for a week for, I think it was $37 which gave me 750mb of data (only) which did perfectly (I didn't need texts or calls). There is though a lot of free wifi around but at the same time it was real handy to have a data connection for finding things on the maps etc or sending iMessages and pictures back home.

You need to get one of these:

Straight Talk AT&T Compatible SIM w/ $45 Straight Talk Unlimited Text, Talk and Web Access 30-Day Service Card. Save $5 when you buy these items together.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-AT-T-Compatiable-SIM-w-45-AirTime-Card-Bundle-5-Savings/21923980

Straight Talk AT&T Compatible **SIM Card

Use your own compatible or unlocked GSM phone with our Straight Talk **SIM to get service on the best nationwide networks.

•*$45 per month - Unlimited Data, Talk & Text
    •No contracts, no bills, no credit checks
    •Keep your current phone number
    •Works with SIMs, IM, social networks, email, web

**SIM card will only work with an AT&T compatible or unlocked GSM phone.

Advertisement