Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secondary Teaching

• 20-11-2012 9:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

I am in the final year of a degree course and just have a few questions regarding secondary teaching:

I am doing DT227, Science with Nanotechnology.
    1. Why can't I teach with this? According to the list of approved degrees, 227 is not one of them, but can I appeal this and demonstrate my ability to teach to a panel? What if I do the teaching Hdip?
    2. Are teachers' starting salaries good now ?? How much could I expect to start on?
    3. If I manage to get a place in the HDip, can I choose what school I work in? Or will that be assigned for me?
    4. Is it really as stressful as people make it out to be?
    5. Is it true you can no longer throw the scumbags out of the class?
    6. Can a teacher work in other areas during the summer and is this normal?
    7. Is getting a job based on the discretion of the school itself or the Department? Would I have a good chance if I went to my own old school? What if I applied to a private school?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I'm not a teacher, based on your questions maybe you shouldn't be aswell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

T-K-O wrote: »
    I'm not a teacher, based on your questions maybe you shouldn't be aswell

Thanks for your input :D

:)

If we are to believe the teachers, they are working harder than ever and getting paid less. Some even temp for other teachers busy in the Dail :)

In saying that I have a lot of friends who teach - from college down to primary and are quite happy with their lot (despite the odd moan)

The teachers and their unions are the ultimate 'old boys club'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

If we are to believe the teachers, they are working harder than ever and getting paid less. Some even temp for other teachers busy in the Dail :)

In saying that I have a lot of friends who teach - from college down to primary and are quite happy with their lot (despite the odd moan)

Don't get me wrong. I'd LOVE to teach. Just need more light on the subject.

Don't get me wrong. I'd LOVE to teach. Just need more light on the subject.

As did I once upon a time but I would imagine the frustration with the entire set-up up would drive me mad,

But

Like anything in life. If you really want it, go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I am in the final year of a degree course and just have a few questions regarding secondary teaching:

1. Why can't I teach with this? According to the list of approved degrees, 227 is not one of them, but can I appeal this and demonstrate my ability to teach to a panel? What if I do the teaching Hdip?
    2. Are teachers' starting salaries good now ?? How much could I expect to start on?
    3. If I manage to get a place in the HDip, can I choose what school I work in? Or will that be assigned for me?
    7. Is getting a job based on the discretion of the school itself or the Department? Would I have a good chance if I went to my own old school? What if I applied to a private school?

1) Because it's not approved. Don't ask how they Teaching Council decide, but they have done. Doing the Dip would consequently be a waste of time and money because you don't have any subjects. You could try to get your course assessed by the TC to see if they'll add it to the list (for a tidy fee I might add).
    2) Not really, unless you get 22 hours which is very unlikely. Around the 30k mark if you do, and although many would dispute this, that probably isn't enough for the work involved in efficient teaching.
    3) You will be given a list of schools in the surrounding area where the inspectors are willing to visit. So depends on the college you want to do the course.
    4) Yes. Substantial work load and never ending lesson plans to boot.
    5) Correct, unless there is a threat to you or your students.
    6) Sure, but expect to pay a lot of tax if you've secured a year long contract. Not usual for a teacher to work on breaks, except for exam corrections or (presumably) volunteer work.
    7) The department technically, the school ultimately. Re: your old school, possibly but unlikely nowadays. Private schools (I would assume) would demand either a lot of experience or extremely good and varied qualifications and probably both. And a fair dollop of luck is required to get a job anywhere in teaching.

BTW, I studied science and class mates of mine went on to teach mathematics. There was an extra year involved, some conversion course I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wonder how long that would take....:rolleyes:

Not very long as I posted before you entered the thread , so need to wait at all :rolleyes:

Not very long as I posted before you entered the thread , so need to wait at all :rolleyes:
    Sorry. Hadn't read the updated rules. We have to post to read or follow a thread?

Better get busy...

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Sorry. Hadn't read the updated rules. We have to post to read or follow a thread?

Better get busy...

Go on then, tell us all how hard done by your are...

See what I mean OP.. I wont even have to prove the point myself

Go on then, tell us all how hard done by your are...

See what I mean OP.. I wont even have to prove the point myself
    Not hard done by at all. Work part time contracted hours hours as a teacher. And get paid generously. Could do full time hours, but don't want to. Also work in the private sector and am self employed. I hear whinging in all areas. Its an Irish thing, not a teacher thing. As is begrudgery.

So you are self employed and work part time in the private sector. Then you tell us you teach part time, when in fact a full time teacher is required.... and all we hear from the unions is that new teachers can't find work..

Sure isn't it a great aul system. I'm glad you are honest enough to admit it. This just confirms what I already know... People love to exploit the system and funny enough they are the same people that complain about it.

Begrudgery, nah not me. Apart from the moaning and crying in the papers / news it does not effect me in slightest.

So you are self employed and work part time in the private sector. Then you tell us you teach part time, when in fact a full time teacher is required.... and all we hear from the unions is that new teachers can't find work..

Sure isn't it a great aul system. I'm glad you are honest enough to admit it. This just confirms what I already know... People love to exploit the system and funny enough they are the same people that complain about it.

Begrudgery, nah not me. Apart from the moaning and crying in the papers / news it does not effect me in slightest.
    Full time teacher isn't required for my hours, which are quite specific in terms of the qualifications and experience required, and would only ever be part time working one-to-one. I've been self-employed since I left school. The private sector work comes and goes. I like variety. An actual 'teacher' position though? No. I wouldn't take one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Teaching council have decided for whatever reason, none of us will be able to answer this. You can pay to get the degree assessed by the TC, they may or may not accept it then. They may advise of other courses that you could do to make up whatever you are missing to aid you in getting there. You do not demonstrate your ability to teach for this to happen it purely goes on the degree itself. Doing the HDip is a waste of time unless your course has been recognized as even with it you will still not get registered by the TC

http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/pay/salary-scale/salary-scale-for-teachers-appointed-after-january-2011/
      As far as I know you will start on 29,737. With no extras. I am open to correction on this one as the news seems to change regularly.
      Whether you consider this to be good or not is purely a personal opinion. Some teachers seem to thing it is not, many members of the public think it is. That is down to you to decide.
      Yes you are on an incremental scale over the years but unless you become principal or VP these days there is basically no promotional opportunities within the sector which some people don't like the idea of.

Someone answered this above, I have no knowledge of this as mine was a concurrent degree

It can be extremely stressful at times. Despite what people think (and to be honest I am not interested in arguing this point with people I am just stating my opinion) there is a huge workload preparing for classes with much more paper work outside of this for many other things. They are constantly adding on new things each year and it can get quite a large load at times. Depending on what type of school you work in will also determine your stress level. A school where all the kids are model students do all their study etc. you will have no stress in terms of behavior etc. however you will have huge pressure on you for results. A school that has huge discipline problems will have pressure from this respect but not as much in terms of results compared to the other school
      Obviously you have the other side of the argument which is the holidays (once you are getting paid for them, if not they can be stressful obviously)

Yes absolute worst case scenario you still cannot send someone out as you are responsible for them. At best you can send a good student for the principal or DP to remove a student. Obviously this is in an extreme case as the P and DP have more things to be doing than running around removing kids for little things, so basically you are stuck with everyone all the time.
      Also if you do get into this line of work I'd lose the phrase scumbags for the interviews

Technically yes but in all reality who can get any work these days. From a companies point of view who would they rather have someone who can commit to something or someone you know is going to run off on the 24th of August back to their other job. Also any outside work cannot interfere with your teaching job and at times as far as I am aware you may have to get the OK from the principal or Board on a particular position or type of job.

It is down to the school at the end of the day. To be honest your question above comes across a little that you seem to think that if you want a job there you will just get one. Don't be under any illusion that any job anywhere is easy to come by. You will certainly not have a pick of where you want to go. There is huge competition for even the smallest of hours. Many contracts these days are only 7-11 hours no where near full hours.
      Be prepared for years of subbing unless you are very lucky to fall into something. A thread on edposts talking about subbing, people posting how lucky they are to have managed to get 7 days subbing in total since the start of september compared to others who have got nothing at all.
      Very important to keep in mind

a

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Reminder that re-regs and trolls not wanted here thanks.

Please read and abide by the charter.

Advertisement