Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Viber App?

• 20-11-2012 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hey

I downloaded viber over a month ago to keep in contact with a friend in Oz as texting and ringing cost a fortune and I was under the illusion that once you have 3G/wifi connection it's free.

I have a bill app phone and have a fair bit of data usage which I never exceed and I am nearly always on a 3G connection.

It appears that I have been charged for every text message through viber, can anyone explain why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

It'll depend on what network you're on but some don't allow you to use viber or similar apps without buying an additional data add-on.

Edit: the guys in the 'talk to' section should be able to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Make sure when you're sending a text it says "send a free text message" otherwise you're sending from your plan, and not Viber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

tallus wrote: »
    Make sure when you're sending a text it says "send a free text message" otherwise you're sending from your plan, and not Viber.
    That's a very good point. All contacts show up in viber even if they don't have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

Hi,

This is a member of the Viber R&D Team.

Viber itself is totally free, meaning we (Viber) don't charge anything from you.

Since Viber uses the internet, both sides of the conversation must be connected to either WiFi or 3G. If a user is connected to WiFi - that user is not paying anything for sure. If the user is connected to 3G, the user *may* be paying his cell company for the data (about 0.3MB per minute of call), but that depends on the specific data plan that he has with his cellular company, and needs to be verified with them.

* Note that when a user is abroad using the cellular network (and not WiFi), there may be high Roaming charges by your cellular company for the data used.

In addition as @tallus said, you need to make sure you are using the Free Text button.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
    Viber

Advertisement