Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scanner OCR problem

Options
  • 20-11-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭

Trying to scan document from Dell all in one 948 scanner to my NetBook. I have no problem printing from it. Or scanning to file. But when I try scanning to Word (which I need to do) it's says I don't have the OCR needed. It says it is on the original CD which I have HOWEVER the NetBook does not have a CD drive . Dell website says the OCR is copyrighted so can only be installed from CD .
    Can I download some other programme ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You might try
    1. make an ISO image of the CD and mount it as a virtual CD drive with e.g. PowerISO
    2. connect to a network with a PC with a CD drive, share the CD drive over the net
    3. look for other free OCR software

• Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    You might try
    1. make an ISO image of the CD and mount it as a virtual CD drive with e.g. PowerISO
    2. connect to a network with a PC with a CD drive, share the CD drive over the net
    I have access to a 2nd lap top so option 2 is possible. If I knew how to do it ....

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

km79 wrote: »
    Trying to scan document from Dell all in one 948 scanner to my NetBook. I have no problem printing from it. Or scanning to file. But when I try scanning to Word (which I need to do) it's says I don't have the OCR needed. It says it is on the original CD which I have HOWEVER the NetBook does not have a CD drive . Dell website says the OCR is copyrighted so can only be installed from CD .
    Can I download some other programme ?

paperport is what i use.. it has good ocr software built into it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

km79 wrote: »
    I have access to a 2nd lap top so option 2 is possible. If I knew how to do it ....

On machine with CD drive, rightclick drive icon, choose Sharing & Security (in XP anyway) On the other machine, in Explorer, Tools->Map Network drive.

You'll have to Google if your on Vista or W7

Advertisement