Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.S. Green Card or J1

Options
  • 20-11-2012 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone

I am in my final year in UL and I don't know if I should get a J1 or try for a green card as my father has American citizenship.

I was just wondering how long the US green card is now valid for?
    I was told that it lasts up to 5 years during which time one can exit and re-enter the States as often or as little as they like.
    I was also told that with it I can do everything over there there except vote (which I'm not too bothered by).

I am wondering if this is still the case and, if not, how has it changed and how much would it cost me roughly?

Would I be better off just getting a J1?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The green card/permanent residency card lasts for 10 years. You renew it every 10 years. Unless you have done something really bad (commit a major felony for example) in the interim, renewing it is a breeze. You can vote in your local state elections, but not in the Presidential ones unless you are a US citizen. However, if you father is a US citizen, isn't is citizenship that you should be applying for, not a green card?

If you have a green card, you have to maintain actual residency in the US as a permanent resident. That is the whole point of it. So if you come back to Ireland to live for any extended period of time, you may not be able to get back in. A J1 just gets you to the States to work for a summer as a student, or in your chosen field for a year after you graduate college. With a J1 visa, there are limitations and restrictions on how long you can live and work in the US that green cards and citizenship do not have, so if you have the option to get citizenship or a green card, go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NiamheyBoo

I don't think I am entitled to citizenship unless I've lived there for a certain
    number of years.
    I'd probably only want to go there every Summer from now on, as opposed to living there for a
    full year, that being the reason why I'm stuck between the two.

Thanks so much PROUDDUB, I appreciate your help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Citizenship is based on your father's physical presence in the USA, not yours. Worth looking into: http://dublin.usembassy.gov/service/passports-and-citizen-services/eligibility-for-citizenship6.html

If you are not a US citizen, to get a greencard via your dad he would need to live in the USA and petition you, which takes 8-10 months, so for the summer of 2013, a J1 would be your only option anyways. PLus, if you do get a greencard there are restrictions, as outlined by ProudDub.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

NiamheyBoo wrote: »
    I don't think I am entitled to citizenship unless I've lived there for a certain
    number of years.
    I'd probably only want to go there every Summer from now on, as opposed to living there for a
    full year,

If that is all you want to do, than citizenship is your best route to go. (As silja said, you qualify based on your fathers residency in the US, not yours) Neither the J1 or the green card will be any use to you in the long term, as the green card can be revoked if you aren't a full time resident, and the J1 is only for students or recent graduates. You would qualify for the J1 next summer, but as you are a final year student, you'll only get it if you can prove that you have a full time job to come back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

NiamheyBoo wrote: »
    full year, that being the reason why I'm stuck between the two.

With the greencard you need to maintain residency in the US, which means being in the US for 6 months out of every year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement