Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Stew

Options
  • 20-11-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

looking to get a recipe to make an irish stew tried one or two but never turn out nice i have a slow cooker if that helps thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me

Comments

looking to get a recipe to make an irish stew tried one or two but never turn out nice i have a slow cooker if that helps thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me

I tend to use this as a basic recipe (usually use lamb instead of beef) for stew, but just put it in a pot on the hob for an hour and a half at around 3.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/jools-s-favourite-beef-stew

Tried it in a slow cooker and it wasn't as nice. In the pot it is delicious. I've made it with stout instead of wine before as well which is equally delicious if less sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 irish honey

thanks i will try it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Split from the 'Here's What I had for Dinner...' Thread.

tHB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dónal wrote: »
    I tend to use this as a basic recipe (usually use lamb instead of beef) for stew, but just put it in a pot on the hob for an hour and a half at around 3.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/jools-s-favourite-beef-stew

Tried it in a slow cooker and it wasn't as nice. In the pot it is delicious. I've made it with stout instead of wine before as well which is equally delicious if less sweet.

Irish stew is very different from brown meat stew (which you linked) it should have an unthickened broth and not a sauce like brown stew.

thanks thb

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Irish stew is very different from brown meat stew (which you linked) it should have an unthickened broth and not a sauce like brown stew.

True that. I often add chorizo to mine which'd have no place in an Irish stew. Nom nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Floury potatoes give body to the broth. Even if you prefer waxy potatoes, chuck in one floury potato cut in small pieces.

There are about as many recipes for Irish stew as there are Irish families. Traditionally it was made with mutton, particularly the less expensive cuts like neck. Disagreement about whether to include carrots was contested as vigorously as the wars about which end of an egg to open.

yeah that is the problem i have when i type it into google it came up with so many recipes i decided to ask people on here for there recipes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

It may not be Irish but Jamie's beef and ale stew is very nice.

The Smithwick's makes it Irish anyway.

I usually swap in a turnip for one of the onions. I'll be working my way through last night's batch all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

This is a good one that I found and have cooked a couple of times with great success.

http://www.thorntonsrestaurant.com/irish-stew-hits-all-the-spots-2/

• Advertisement

This is a good one that I found and have cooked a couple of times with great success.

http://www.thorntonsrestaurant.com/irish-stew-hits-all-the-spots-2/

This is pretty much the recipe I use, I like to add barley though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'll have to jump on the "That's not Irish Stew" bandwagon regarding the Jamie Oliver link above.

As far as I'm concerned:

Irish stew is made with lamb or, preferably, mutton.
    It is a pale stew.
    It is unthickened - broth can be slightly thickened from broken down potatoes.
    It must have lamb/mutton, onions and potatoes.
    I always put in carrots, celery and pearl barley and sometimes leek and turnip.
    I like to flavour it with fresh thyme and parsley stalks, salt and pepper and serve it with fresh flat leaf parsley.

Very untraditional but I've taken to using any pale ale or lager as the liquid in my Irish stew. Finished stew doesn't taste of beer but is extra tasty.

Thorton's recipe linked to above is very like mine but more often than not I don't "seal" (surprised at him using that term) the meat or fry the onions - just bung everything into the pot.

Thorton's recipe linked to above is very like mine but more often than not I don't "seal" (surprised at him using that term) the meat or fry the onions - just bung everything into the pot.

I actually used to bring the lamb/mutton to a pot by istelf and then disgard the water, throw in everything else except for the spuds (which I only add for the last 25 minutes) and cover with water and away you go. I think the bone in with your stew while cooking is essential too. I don't usually add celery though.

Advertisement