Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Queries on buying 2nd hand iphone off net

• 20-11-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

Hoping some of you techie experts out there can help!:D

I want to buy an iphone 4s for my hubby for christmas and cant afford brand new so am looking to go down the 2nd hand route. I have been combing Gumtree and adverts.ie and €300-400 seems to be the general ball park.

My questions are what do I need to watch out for scam wise with buying over the net. I would like it unlocked but he (hubby) is on 3 prepay so is it okay to accept a phone locked to 3 or does it have to be 3 prepay specifically?

Also I have seen a bit about black listed phones, how do I watch out and protect against this? should I insist on seeing original box and receipt?

I seen something on here about checking in settings for the IMEI code and match it to the box. I have a 4S myself but cant see this in my settings. Probs because I'm useless at these things and blind!

Are any sites safer than others? i.e.: Like would ebay be considered safer?

Apologies, sooooo many questions soooo little time! :eek::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I'd say someone with good rep on adverts would be the safest bet

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Princess Aries

Great thanks a million guil!

Any suggestions of dodgy things to look out for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Don't buy one second hand for your hubby it's a minefield buying on the internet and chances are you'll get stung badly, you'll get him a still very smart phone well within your budget brand new.
    Take him into a store and see does he like any of the phones on display, The HTC 8s is one lovely looking phone and it's about €260 with 2 years warranty. Unless he has to have an iphone don't waste your money on a second hand one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

There's no way for you to check if its blacklisted as such but bring a sim to try in the phone and make sure you can call and text. Try Siri aswell

Don't buy one second hand for your hubby it's a minefield buying on the internet and chances are you'll get stung badly, you'll get him a still very smart phone well within your budget brand new.
    Take him into a store and see does he like any of the phones on display, The HTC 8s is one lovely looking phone and it's about €260 with 2 years warranty. Unless he has to have an iphone don't waste your money on a second hand one.

Thanks for the advice, I had thought of this and it would be simpler and safer option but he wants an iphone and more so since I got mine! :p I just cant afford to buy it new as its €589 for the 4S and €399 for the 4. Hes also on prepay and not willing to go on the bill..

If I could buy off someone genuine and its in good nick I think a win win.. just so many risks though!

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    There's no way for you to check if its blacklisted as such but bring a sim to try in the phone and make sure you can call and text. Try Siri aswell

thanks a mill, if I go down this road at least I wont be as clueless as I was an hour ago! :D

Would anyone else know about the locked to 3 thing? Can u use in 3prepay or does it have to be specifically to one or the other? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

As has been mentioned a seller with a good rep on adverts would be the best way to go, I old prefer eBay over dd, gumtree and the likes because atleast you can check how other buyers got on.

I would bring a couple of simcards from different networks and check out calling, texting, data it's these. Im not sure about the legalities of it and how it would stand up but a reciept from the seller with both signatures and all the details might be handy to have.

I have bought iPhones online twice, once from eBay and once from dd, got on grand both times, no bother at all.

Once it's locked to 3 it can be used with any 3 sim as far as I am aware.

If I could buy off someone genuine and its in good nick I think a win win.. just so many risks though!

The only way your really going to do that is buy second hand from a nearby established shop or from a friend.
    I think your insane buying online second hand because you don't know enough about them not to get caught, we've seen it here before some of us give advice people don't end up taking it and there out of pocket to the tune of about €400. I see it happening the whole time and especially with your Hubbys christmas present i'd hate to see it all go horribly wrong.

All i'm saying is there are other phones out there well within your budget that are just as smart as an iphone and run the same popular apps. I know your hubby has seen the iphone but I don't think he's opened up to the other choices. Get him into a store and see what he puts in his hand, the 4 and 4s are starting to feel a little dated. Show him the HTC 8s, I think it would make a great gift for him and it'll leave you with enough money for a night away over christmas. (you'll be glad of the HTC if you get lost on the way to the hotel;))

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    As has been mentioned a seller with a good rep on adverts would be the best way to go, I old prefer eBay over dd, gumtree and the likes because atleast you can check how other buyers got on.

I would bring a couple of simcards from different networks and check out calling, texting, data it's these. Im not sure about the legalities of it and how it would stand up but a reciept from the seller with both signatures and all the details might be handy to have.

I have bought iPhones online twice, once from eBay and once from dd, got on grand both times, no bother at all.

Once it's locked to 3 it can be used with any 3 sim as far as I am aware.

Thats brilliant thanks a mill for your help! There seems to be alot of genuine sellers that have boxes and sometimes receipts but I know there is always going to be one or two or even 3 dodgies! :mad:

• Advertisement

The only way your really going to do that is buy second hand from a nearby established shop or from a friend.
    I think your insane buying online second hand because you don't know enough about them not to get caught, we've seen it here before some of us give advice people don't end up taking it and there out of pocket to the tune of about €400. I see it happening the whole time and especially with your Hubbys christmas present i'd hate to see it all go horribly wrong.

All i'm saying is there are other phones out there well within your budget that are just as smart as an iphone and run the same popular apps. I know your hubby has seen the iphone but I don't think he's opened up to the other choices. Get him into a store and see what he puts in his hand, the 4 and 4s are starting to feel a little dated. Show him the HTC 8s, I think it would make a great gift for him and it'll leave you with enough money for a night away over christmas. (you'll be glad of the HTC if you get lost on the way to the hotel;))

Thanks again drunk monkey have taken all you have said on board. Really dont want this to go wrong thats why Im trying to take all the advice I can get. We dont normally do such big pressies but I started a course last yr and hubby has been really supportive so wanted to spoil him to show my appreciation. :D Its supposed to be a surprize but i will bring him to a phone shop and see if anything else floats his boat!
    Just in relation to what you said about established shops, are there any out there that sell second hand phones? Out or curiosity? :confused:

Just in relation to what you said about established shops, are there any out there that sell second hand phones? Out or curiosity? :confused:

Try the store where you bought yours, a lot of shops trade them in but might not sell them to the public, if they know you they might look after you.

Great thanks, I will try that so! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I personally would disagree with drunkmonkey. While there are a lot of risks, it works out better most of the time. And while we might see people who are caught out pop up on here from time to time, remember that is only the people who got caught out. The people who have smooth transactions don't post up about it and they far out number the people who are caught out.

If you know anybody who has bought off adverts/donedeal and knows what to look for, get them to help out and you will save yourself a good chunk of cash :). I've bought a good few phones off adverts over the years and never had a problem. Use a bit of common sense in regards to the seller, if you have second thoughts, just walk away.

And from a safety aspect, don't get alone as you will have €300-400 in cash on you at the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

A good tip is to not go near any ads with English mistakes.

Try to buy from a seller with a reputation on adverts. Other things are real photos (not just stock pics), box, receipt etc.

I have bought my last 5/6 phones on adverts without problems

BDJW wrote: »
    I personally would disagree with drunkmonkey. While there are a lot of risks, it works out better most of the time. And while we might see people who are caught out pop up on here from time to time, remember that is only the people who got caught out. The people who have smooth transactions don't post up about it and they far out number the people who are caught out.

If you know anybody who has bought off adverts/donedeal and knows what to look for, get them to help out and you will save yourself a good chunk of cash :). I've bought a good few phones off adverts over the years and never had a problem. Use a bit of common sense in regards to the seller, if you have second thoughts, just walk away.

And from a safety aspect, don't get alone as you will have €300-400 in cash on you at the time!

Thanks so much for your advice also, good to have a balanced view! Appreciate all the tips.. I am going to look into all options. I can see already the ad's I would be more apprehensive about and the ones that seem a bit better. I'm hearing ye about not going alone! Some people meeting in Liffey Valley car park??! :confused: Ehhhh no I dont think so! :eek:
    I think if your genuine u shouldn't mind me calling to where you live.. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

You have to look at the other persons point of view too, they might prefer to meet in a car park because they don't know anything about you and don't want you turning up at their house to steal the phone. It's probably easier to find a reliable seller than buyer on somewhere like adverts, similarly turning up to buy a phone with a few people can be a bit off putting!

A phone is a little tricky as you need to give it a decent check, meeting at persons workplace or over lunch nearby if you have their work email and phone number is safe enough.

copacetic wrote: »
    You have to look at the other persons point of view too, they might prefer to meet in a car park because they don't know anything about you and don't want you turning up at their house to steal the phone. It's probably easier to find a reliable seller than buyer on somewhere like adverts...

+1 on this. I've sold phones from adverts before and have never met those people at my house as they could be any weirdo!

There is a guy on adverts who buys phones to sell in his shop. His profile is: http://www.adverts.ie/member/542240. He has great feedback on adverts. His website is http://mriphonedublin.com/, it is a very poor website, but his feedback on adverts says a lot. Trying his shop could be an option for you

+1 on this. I've sold phones from adverts before and have never met those people at my house as they could be any weirdo!

There is a guy on adverts who buys phones to sell in his shop. His profile is: http://www.adverts.ie/member/542240. He has great feedback on adverts. His website is http://mriphonedublin.com/, it is a very poor website, but his feedback on adverts says a lot. Trying his shop could be an option for you

Ha ha ha gas I was just on that guys website! (Mr. iphone) he seems to be all over adverts.. Thanks for that!

I hear yis about not wanting people coming to your house. I am just a bit of a nervous female who wud prefer somewhere safer than a shopping centre car park on a winters evening! :eek: there are other options I suppose!

Ha ha ha gas I was just on that guys website! (Mr. iphone) he seems to be all over adverts.. Thanks for that!

I hear yis about not wanting people coming to your house. I am just a bit of a nervous female who wud prefer somewhere safer than a shopping centre car park on a winters evening! :eek: there are other options I suppose!

If you are meeting somebody, try a cafe in a busy shopping centre. Plenty of people around but you will still be able to sit down and have a good look over the phone.

• Advertisement

I personally would disagree with drunkmonkey!

On your head it is then but when it brakes down or gets blacklisted after a few weeks you can hold the tissues.

On your head it is then but when it brakes down or gets blacklisted after a few weeks you can hold the tissues.

Grow up. The OP asked for help and opinions. You gave yours, I gave mine. And I'm sure there are a hell of a lot of people who would agree with mine. The huge number of iPhones that are sold every month on adverts wouldn't sell if the majority end up being black listed. And if the iPhone that is bought "brakes down", it can be repaired. Any phone can break, new or second hand. If the OP buys a phone which is still within the one year Apple warranty, then they can have the phone repaired for free

It's her husbands Christmas present, if she was taking a punt herself what about it but considering the circumstances I still think she should not buy a second hand one online as there are safer alternatives.

A used iPhone less than a year old could have had a new screen fitted, there's now way princess would know and she might pay top dollar thinking its under warranty still but turns out to be a different story when sent to apple as there's been an unauthorised repair.

It's too much of a risk. Adverts is the best if it has to buy a used iphone but done deal is to be avoided at all costs.

Repairs aren't cheap either if spending 400 she might as well buy a new one and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Rainbow_Bright

Hi all,

Hoping some of you techie experts out there can help!:D

I want to buy an iphone 4s for my hubby for christmas and cant afford brand new so am looking to go down the 2nd hand route. I have been combing Gumtree and adverts.ie and €300-400 seems to be the general ball park.

My questions are what do I need to watch out for scam wise with buying over the net. I would like it unlocked but he (hubby) is on 3 prepay so is it okay to accept a phone locked to 3 or does it have to be 3 prepay specifically?

Also I have seen a bit about black listed phones, how do I watch out and protect against this? should I insist on seeing original box and receipt?

I seen something on here about checking in settings for the IMEI code and match it to the box. I have a 4S myself but cant see this in my settings. Probs because I'm useless at these things and blind!

Are any sites safer than others? i.e.: Like would ebay be considered safer?

Apologies, sooooo many questions soooo little time! :eek::confused:

Hi :)

You can get iPhone 4 for €399 from the online apple store. I got mine last month and love it ! There's very little difference between the 4 and the 4S.

Also, they are unlocked so any network can be used.

I haven't read the entire thread so apologies if someone has already mentioned this!

x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I don't think you have to be so worried about buying and selling on reseller sites like adverts and done deal. I sell stuff regularly through Adverts and haven't had one bad experience. Most people I've met up with have been very nice and 2 or 3 have pulled up outside where I live and met me there for the sale. I've no problems with it at all.

Incidentally I've an iPhone 4 32GB on Adverts currently for €349. :D There is a lot for sale your sure to find one either way.

Advertisement